Discovery Bank [2018]

Sphinx21

No 80000 points to reach gold then after that you should have 100000 in savings with them to be upgraded to Diamond
Yes, you're right. Apologies for the confusion, but yes, these rules are very confusing and not spelled out anywhere.

llewellynr

So frank question.. what's the best way to game the card spend points with the least weekly admin? because lets be honest, there's no actual "healthy banking behaviour" that's encouraged to get your rewards so I just want to get my extra weekly chance to claw back R25+. (without it costing me more than R25)
  • fill up with petrol one or more times a week (time wasting)
  • buy prepaid elec in small increments (not sure if this results in a kWh rate penalty)
  • get the PnP teller to ring up your groceries in batches (is going to annoy people).
  • buy lots of R50 Takealot vouchers. (Redeem it on toilet paper or some other essentials)

twr

So frank question.. what's the best way to game the card spend points with the least weekly admin? because lets be honest, there's no actual "healthy banking behaviour" that's encouraged to get your rewards so I just want to get my extra weekly chance to claw back R25+. (without it costing me more than R25)
  • fill up with petrol one or more times a week (time wasting)
  • buy prepaid elec in small increments (not sure if this results in a kWh rate penalty)
  • get the PnP teller to ring up your groceries in batches (is going to annoy people).
  • buy lots of R50 Takealot vouchers. (Redeem it on toilet paper or some other essentials)
Well that's what I tried, I fill up R50 at BP several times ,it's on my way,
Groceries I try split them,
If I'm with ppl who were going to pay cash I swipe for them and take their cash.
It's such an effort that has given me a whopping 25 points,I now couldn't care, how this is supposed to be responsible spending is beyond me?

jambai

Currently vitality if used is not bad bang for buck . Don’t see the benefits in the bank ..yet especially without discovery miles

Reactions: twr

Hamster

Resident Rodent
FYI: I transferred money to my Discovery Card from FNB this morning and Discovery received it not long after that.

Might've been a fluke or they developed something like a buffer that makes inter-bank transfers "instant".

adielk

Expert Member
FYI: I transferred money to my Discovery Card from FNB this morning and Discovery received it not long after that.

Might've been a fluke or they developed something like a buffer that makes inter-bank transfers "instant".
Nope Std Bank to Discovery takes some time.

Discovery ran on FNB systems so probably still closely linked.

nullv

I did a transfer from FNB to DB on thursday it took a day. also did a transfer yesterday in the morning, it reflected around in the afternoon. I'm assuming it's a saturday half day thing not a norm.

ECHLN

I did a transfer from FNB to DB on thursday it took a day. also did a transfer yesterday in the morning, it reflected around in the afternoon. I'm assuming it's a saturday half day thing not a norm.
My transfers also took a day. On both occasions, I made the transfers after 8PM and they both arrived at about 6PM the next day.

Slegter

But can you only buy 1 international flight? Or (like Discovery's Platinum card and Vitality) can I buy 2 tickets each per year for myself and all members of my family?
I spoke to an agent and he confirmed 1 per year

amabacha

speaking of releasing T&Cs...

So for those that were planning to game the money goal point system...

TIL (today I learnt) that Discovery Bank is taking time limits into consideration when rewarding points. Any transactions done in the same hour* - only the largest transaction amount will be awarded points.

I called a consultant to query a number of transactions (since 2 Aug) that hadn't been awarded points, and the consultant informed me of this "rule". I asked where this information was publicised and the consultant said it should/would be on the website. First I've heard of this...

Can anyone else confirm this? It wont be the first time that information shared by a consultant may not be entirely accurate.... every week there seems to be new additional T&Cs mentioned but not officially announced.

*I think she said hour - may be another time period however...

twr

TIL (today I learnt) that Discovery Bank is taking time limits into consideration when rewarding points. Any transactions done in the same hour* - only the largest transaction amount will be awarded points.

I called a consultant to query a number of transactions (since 2 Aug) that hadn't been awarded points, and the consultant informed me of this "rule". I asked where this information was publicised and the consultant said it should/would be on the website. First I've heard of this...

Can anyone else confirm this? It wont be the first time that information shared by a consultant may not be entirely accurate.... every week there seems to be new additional T&Cs mentioned but not officially announced.

That is a stupid rule but maybe not endorsed as yet because last week I did three consecutive transactions at pick n pay and I got three points for them

beefymoocow

Yea i might have missed my goals because of this. But they should explain before they implement it.