Discovery Bank [2018]

adielk

Expert Member
Are the points different according to your Vitality Money status? for me 1000 is 2 points and 3 * R20 = 1.5 points

R20 - R49 = 0.5 points
R50 - R499 = 1
R500 - 2499 = 2
R2500+ = 3
See my points

Could be aligned to above. R10 below points.

allocated

Aharon

Executive Member
I'm lost..
Please help.

I only took the transactional account. I've met my two monthly goals. How do I get the weekly goals or do you have to have a CC?

ECHLN

In discovery health app you go to vitality active rewards
I just made 3 purchases today. How long does it take to for the points to show? Because the transactions aren't showing in the Discovery app.

Last edited:

citizensa

I just made 3 purchases today. How long does it take to for the points to show? Because the transactions aren't showing in the Discovery app.
It’s takes anything between a day to 3 days usually but it can also go missing from money points I had many instances were the transactions are only in bank app not in money points

binloud

Is the spend band to start earning earning dynamic discounts different for the gold and platinum. I read in this thread earlier that to get 100% back from gym you need to spend close to 45K on the platinum card, that is ridiculous ill never get cash back. Is the gold less? I would really like to know these things before I decide to open a new account?

amabacha

Is the spend band to start earning earning dynamic discounts different for the gold and platinum. I read in this thread earlier that to get 100% back from gym you need to spend close to 45K on the platinum card, that is ridiculous ill never get cash back. Is the gold less? I would really like to know these things before I decide to open a new account?
Spend Bands
I queried the spend bands with a consultant and he said each product has different spend bands. Not sure why they havent published all of them yet...

This is what was sent to me - I have the Platinum Suite (CC + transactional account)

Spend band 0 for <R5,000
Spend band 1 for R5,000-R9,999
Spend band 2 for R10,000-R17,499
Spend band 3 for R17,500-R24,999
Spend band 4 for >=R25,000

Gym cash back (my current understanding of it)
Currently you can get 100% cashback from a combination of upfront discount (e.g. monthly debit order for reduced VA rate for Discovery members as long as you visit 36 times in a year) and then gym booster (hit all your weekly health goals in a month) gets you the remaining 25% cash back on the discounted rate. Pretty simple

The new "boosted Vitality gym benefit with Discovery Bank" seems way more complicated. From reading all I could find on the website and interactions with both Discovery Bank & Virgin Active on this , you need to:
1) Change your debit order details over to Discovery Bank
2) The debit order will be for the FULL VA rate (not upfront discounted VA rate)
3) 75% is then refunded to you into your Vitality Savings Account by Discovery Health - if you visit the gym 36 times per year otherwise the rate can drop down to 50% (as per current rules)
4) The last 25% is where the exact mechanics become a little sketchy. If you look at 'How do I increase and maintain my boosted Vitality gym benefit with Discovery Bank cash back?' on this page https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/gym it goes through all the above but then ends with this:

"To ensure that you are earning the maximum cash back from your boosted Vitality gym benefit with Discovery Bank, spend on your Discovery credit card, engage with Vitality Money and get to Diamond status. "

So basically that last 25% cashback (on the FULL gym rate not the DISCOUNTED rate it seems) suddenly becomes a lot more elusive...

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Spend Bands
I queried the spend bands with a consultant and he said each product has different spend bands. Not sure why they havent published all of them yet...

This is what was sent to me - I have the Platinum Suite (CC + transactional account)

Spend band 0 for Spend band 1 for R5,000-R9,999

Currently you can get 100% cashback from a combination of upfront discount (e.g. monthly debit order for reduced VA rate for Discovery members as long as you visit 36 times in a year) and then gym booster (hit all your weekly health goals in a month) gets you the remaining 25% cash back on the discounted rate. Pretty simple

The new "boosted Vitality gym benefit with Discovery Bank" seems way more complicated. From reading all I could find on the website and interactions with both Discovery Bank & Virgin Active on this , you need to:
2) The debit order will be for the FULL VA rate (not upfront discounted VA rate)
3) 75% is then refunded to you into your Vitality Savings Account by Discovery Health - if you visit the gym 36 times per year otherwise the rate can drop down to 50% (as per current rules)
4) The last 25% is where the exact mechanics become a little sketchy. If you look at 'How do I increase and maintain my boosted Vitality gym benefit with Discovery Bank cash back?' on this page https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/gym it goes through all the above but then ends with this:

"To ensure that you are earning the maximum cash back from your boosted Vitality gym benefit with Discovery Bank, spend on your Discovery credit card, engage with Vitality Money and get to Diamond status. "

So basically that last 25% cashback (on the FULL gym rate not the DISCOUNTED rate it seems) suddenly becomes a lot more elusive...
The last 25% is like R200, seems like quite bit effort for R200

vancity33

Spend Bands

Spend band 0 for <R5,000

Why do only Black CC holders qualify for the boosted gym benefit with premier virgin active membership?? Do they not think that other account holders use multiple gyms?? /sigh

Snyper564

Expert Member
Why do only Black CC holders qualify for the boosted gym benefit with premier virgin active membership?? Do they not think that other account holders use multiple gyms?? /sigh
I would assume its a PREMIUM benefit. The higher the account the more benefits but also at a higher cost...

glennhurlow

I just updated the app and now get an error when opening: "We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later (Code: 53E6)

Anybody else having this issue?

binloud

Spend Bands

Spend band 0 for <R5,000

Thanks man, helps a lot. If not for the total lack of info from discovery.

Anyone have an idea about the Gold suite, may be easier to get to a higher band?

50% vs 60% on food and flights is minimal especially if you wont get past band 2, which I assume means you probably get like 5% back.