Discovery Bank [2018]

Kushsterr

Well I just called them and asked about qualifying spend. They said pretty much anything on the card will be counted. For example debit orders, EFTs and even cash withdrawals.

Although the sales lady mentioned a R3.50 fee per debit order. I’m struggling to see why I need a transactional account with discovery bank...I can just run everything off the credit card...

twr

News article on MYBB news feed says Discovery is saying Miles will be awarded from October and be backdated to when you joined the bank.
Lets see.
Well that's good news,I'm concerned about the earn rate 15 to 1 but doesn't show any miles multiplyer stores like before

I wonder if I'll get backdated since July as they never debited me for my yearly miles fee.

Will there still be a new yearly miles fee for new clients?

Does completing your Money Goal improve your Vitality Money status over a period of time?
If you continue to reach your 2 monthly personal goals then you get 5000 points.(2 months in a row of both goals hit gives you this). Those 5000 points get added to your other points - 25000, 25000, 25000, 15000, 10000

Any WRewards users here? How long does it take for purchase to reflect in the app? I bought some groceries on Saturday with some items being applicable for cash back.
I am yes. I think it depends on when your statement closes off. Mine is around the 8/9/10 of the month. Just got my first HealthyFood payment from Woolies. They lumped Food, Care and ?Gear into one payment so it was difficult to see what it was all for.

DENROCwtf

Well I just called them and asked about qualifying spend. They said pretty much anything on the card will be counted. For example debit orders, EFTs and even cash withdrawals.

Although the sales lady mentioned a R3.50 fee per debit order. I’m struggling to see why I need a transactional account with discovery bank...I can just run everything off the credit card...
- Only card and online spend - will be counted - it seems impossible to get the historic qualifying - so one could take the actual and do the calculation. The confusion continues.

harties

I'm assuming most of these banking rewards wont apply if you don't have Vitality? It doesn't seem appealing if you not part of the existing vitality ecosystem.

beefymoocow

I'm assuming most of these banking rewards wont apply if you don't have Vitality? It doesn't seem appealing if you not part of the existing vitality ecosystem.
I wonder if you can join vitality if you joined their bank. I know vitality applicable to their medical aid or life customers.

DENROCwtf

Yes you need Vitality Money and Vitality heath - to fully benefit. Discovery wants multiple product take up and the integration - you are heathy = you live longer. If your life insurance payout is postponed by 10 years at an inflation rate of 7,2 % - they payout made by Discovery has halved in "cost".

I wonder if you can join vitality if you joined their bank. I know vitality applicable to their medical aid or life customers.
You can still be part of Vitality Money without being a regular Vitality member. You’ll earn cashback depending on your Vitality Money status until the launch the new DMiles. That’s just like earning eBucks if you bank with FNB. Normal Vitality can only be joined if you’re on one of their medical aid or Life plans. Vitality Drive is obviously for their short term insurance. Having all 3 means you have more opportunities to play on the gameboard each week. Doesn’t sound that appealing but those really add up. I’ve been getting 3x plays for the last 3 weeks now. Looking forward to getting a 4th bonus one soon with the new rules. Like any of the systems you get more if you participate more fully. Vitality benefits can be substantial though.

Yes you need Vitality Money and Vitality heath - to fully benefit. Discovery wants multiple product take up and the integration - you are heathy = you live longer. If your life insurance payout is postponed by 10 years at an inflation rate of 7,2 % - they payout made by Discovery has halved in "cost".
Quite right. I guess the alternative is you die younger - but you save a lot of money!

Axen

A friend of mine had this issue when applying to Capitec. You basically have to go in to Home Affairs and find out what the issue is. The bank does a query with their database somehow and it just returns that there's a problem.

In his case Home Affairs decided that he was illegally in the country, despite being a citizen (go figure). I made a thread about it a while ago but it seems to have disappeared. The short version is, you may just need to kick up a stink at Home Affairs until someone helps you get sorted out.
Typical, I messaged discovery back and told them I'd rather not change banks than go into home affairs.

I've used the same smart ID since issuance in 2016, and taken out other bank products, cellphone contracts etc.... yet discovery says i need to go to home affairs when I have an original FNB discovery card on the very same ID...

The level of frustration...

Last edited:

newby_investor

Expert Member
Typical, I messaged discovery back and told them I'd rather not change banks than go into home affairs.

I've used the same smart ID since issuance in 2016, and taken out other bank products, cellphone contracts etc.... yet discovery says i need to go to home affairs when I have an original FNB discovery card on the very same ID...

The level of frustration...
I believe it might have been part of the digital migration of Home Affairs - they may have messed some records up.

If you don't encounter any other hassles then you shouldn't have a problem, but you might run into them again if you need to do something else where a query to home-affairs might be made, or if you need to renew your passport. You may just want to plan enough time to go in to an office and get the issue sorted out at some point.

citizensa

Morning Anyone know how’s this healthy food cash back work if they say up to 75%. Is it capped at a max spend of 2000 for a single member and will you get 1500 back? Unsure

RobotWizard

Does anyone perhaps know why I am not able to add any new accounts, except for savings or a transactional only account after opening up a savings account? The Credit card and full suite options are now disabled when I try to add a new account.

ECHLN

Does anyone perhaps know why I am not able to add any new accounts, except for savings or a transactional only account after opening up a savings account? The Credit card and full suite options are now disabled when I try to add a new account.
They said it's coming out soon when I asked about 2 months and the said (paraphrase) "we can't can't change your account just yet from gold to black but we might have that functionality in 3 months time" so I think it'll be available next month.

hanliu

Does anyone else also have problems with Discovery Bank credit card transaction not reflecting in Vitality Money? Therefore not reaching weekly goals of 0/25 ?

groesbec

Does anyone else also have problems with Discovery Bank credit card transaction not reflecting in Vitality Money? Therefore not reaching weekly goals of 0/25 ?
I has this issue will all transactions dated 4 and 5 September 2019. Had to log a call with Vitality money to have this fixed and the matter is still in progress. So frustrating! Vitaliy Money advised that they never received the transaction details from Discovery Bank.