Discovery Bank problem with credit card debit orders

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Discovery Bank problem with credit card debit orders

Several Discovery Bank clients have had the full outstanding balances on their credit cards taken from their bank accounts via debit order, rather than the minimum amount.

One client who contacted MyBroadband with the story said this was the second time the bank had debited their entire outstanding balance.

Gothan

Expert Member
Kinda like they deducted interest twice in the same month. According to them it’s not a big, it’s a feature

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
Just a small mishap. Discovery is still the best leading bank in SA and they will get this sorted real soon and get everyone refunded. All banks are faced by such critters at some point in time.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Just a small mishap. Discovery is still the best leading bank in SA and they will get this sorted real soon and get everyone refunded. All banks are faced by such critters at some point in time.
I doubt it, they plan to discriminate against their customers who's skin is white. You can not be successful if that is your mentally.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It said that it resolved the problem, and that it detected no fraud and that no clients incurred any losses as a result of the vulnerability.
The debit orders bounced, that's a fine for the client and damaging to credit score. How is that not a loss?

I'd stay far away from Discovery Bank for a good while yet.

j4ck455

Executive Member
OK, I have to ask, on what basis are you making such a bizarre statement?

If I had to choose between say African Bank and Discovery Bank, I might choose Discovery Bank but that would only be in a world where all other banks have ceased to exist.

evilbob

All the banks have different pros and cons, and that varies from account to account too. In my personal experience, Discovery as an organisation have all sorts of issues developing systems that work correctly. I have not tried their banking but I have seen all sorts of minor to major bugs in vitality, health and insurance.

I would not put my money with them.

Dups!

OK, I have to ask, on what basis are you making such a bizarre statement?

If I had to choose between say African Bank and Discovery Bank, I might choose Discovery Bank but that would only be in a world where all other banks have ceased to exist.
I am just as puzzled.

I probably would pick African Bank, though, despite their near collapse. Discovery has had the worst start ever and it doesn't seem like ending anytime soon.

I was one of those who signed up last year but after their "delayed" launch and then their "selected on-boarding" debacle, coupled with the horror stories I read on the reviews of their app, I decided I want nothing to do with this bank.

I actually trust Tyme Bank more than Discovery.

Last edited: