Discovery Bank's pricing and discounts

Daruk

Honorary Master
Let me guess, that monthly fee will escalate at 10% pa LOL

Louis72

They seem to have tried to copy FNB

That currency conversion fee is a bit of a shocker though. Would steer clear of you ever plan to travel internationally!
Who doesnt charge 2.75% already? On top of R50-R75 to draw overseas

russellO

Who doesnt charge 2.75% already? On top of R50-R75 to draw overseas
Capitec doesn't charge for overseas swipes. It is at the current exchange rate.

Edit: on top of that, it's only R8 to withdraw from "International Mastercard® card machine"

Louis72

Edit: on top of that, it's only R8 to withdraw from "International Mastercard® card machine"
Only with MasterCard card machine. Not an ATM that is R60 for Capitec. FNB R75 and Absa R65.
IMG_9853.JPG

IMG_9854.JPG
IMG_9855.JPG

beans100

Honorary Master
A bank for the rich, again. Tiered accounts is set to make money off the Gold account holders to give free benefits to the Black account holders. Just like FNB is doing all these years. Unlimited cash withdrawals vs 4 free...etc

Capitec and Tyme has only one account, everyone treated equal.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Unless you live inside a Gym on a treadmill with a FitBit on your wrist and a Nutribullet full of Pureed PicknPay Healthy Food vegetables strapped to your face, there are better deals than Discovery.
After tracking how my point allocation was, it seems I also need to manually start/end my workout sessions as a Fitbit will start with you increasing your heart rate, but only stop once it decreases to <100 about, which for me is about 15 minutes after I finish exercising, drastically bringing down your average heart rate over the 45 minutes I do (so I go from like 135 average/170 peak to 114 average since I hover at 105-110 for those 15 minutes and like to ramp up slowly).

Quite annoying actually. Still managing to hit my targets though, and a bit off-topic, sorry. I just find discovery's vitality requirements are such a run around with less rewards the longer you're in it as point increase etc. that it's getting quite annoying (need to hit 700 now, not sure what will happen when I reach the 900 cap, don't think I will make it then due to time). Only really in it since gym is half the price, which means it's overall cheaper for the 4 of us on it, but if I was on my own I'd drop it: https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/283258/discovery-vitality-price-increases-and-changes-for-2019/ since R259 a month is more than the saving anyways and flight boosters are gone, so no point in it anymore (and I don't use the shoe booster or health gear).

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Interesting. Wouldn’t touch African Bank with a barge pole even if they do give 13% interest ive heard. Always liked Nedbank. The underdogs in die game but looking at Hellopeter some banks are in trouble complaints wise...
https://www.hellopeter.com/industries/banking
View attachment 691075
View attachment 691077
Nedbank interests me as they have the Oauth 2.0 API: https://apim.nedbank.co.za/
I just can't move over until they send OTP via app and they need to have an NFC purchase option like FNB (I haven't paid with a card in quite a while).

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

I have doubts about that exchange rate being favourable. Banks make money on forex by either charging conversion fees, or offering worse exchange rates, or both.