Discovery Insurance claims and service

EMG76

Hi Folks, being a first time claimer for a burglary at home, I've had nothing but bad service from Discovery Insure.
What has been your experience with Discovery, when submitting claims? Specifically when it comes to communications and how long it took to get your claim settled?

maumau

Honorary Master
I cancelled my insurance with them after a few months due to inefficiency and terrible serivice.

Think the company had become too big.

EMG76

I can understand why, I get a reply every third day and only after inquiring about the progress of my claim. I should have stayed at my previous insurance company. :X3:

Mimen

I have to blow the trumpet for Outsurance. I only became aware of them when my friends car was stolen on a Saturday, rental car delivered on Monday and money paid into her bank account Friday. I was stunned. I moved over, lost a phone, claim approved. Next day I went to a place in Centurion to collect my new phone. Everything is done over the phone, no getting quotes of filling in forms.

My house flooded while in Cape Town. I returned on the Thursday and on Friday the carpet installer phoned, ready to install. I was stunned yet again. I don't know why people complain about them. On the other hand, and rightfully so, they can ask a lot of questions. I'd rather have that and very fast payouts than have kak service.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I had a major claim with them, was hijacked with tracker and all the bells and whistles. Still took them over 3 weeks to finalize the claim. Eventually replaced my car just as the hire period was expiring ( which is also nonsense if they take so long to resolve ). The next year, when it came to premium anniversary, mine were jacked up by 25%. Called them and asked whats the story as the new car was worth a lot less, not a security risk and I would have expected premiums to drop or a slight inflationary increase. Was told sorry, you have a high claim ratio. I said one claim for a hijacking which was in now way a fault of mine ie: bad area, open windows, etc etc.? They said sorry, loss to premuim ratio was too high and I must pay up.

Cancelled and told them to stick that attitude.

EMG76

I had a major claim with them, was hijacked with tracker and all the bells and whistles. Still took them over 3 weeks to finalize the claim. Eventually replaced my car just as the hire period was expiring ( which is also nonsense if they take so long to resolve ). The next year, when it came to premium anniversary, mine were jacked up by 25%. Called them and asked whats the story as the new car was worth a lot less, not a security risk and I would have expected premiums to drop or a slight inflationary increase. Was told sorry, you have a high claim ratio. I said one claim for a hijacking which was in now way a fault of mine ie: bad area, open windows, etc etc.? They said sorry, loss to premuim ratio was too high and I must pay up.

Cancelled and told them to stick that attitude.

That's the sad part, you almost get treated like you're the criminal and it's your fault that this happened. Then still penalize you for claiming with an increase?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
That's the sad part, you almost get treated like you're the criminal and it's your fault that this happened. Then still penalize you for claiming with an increase?

Yep. If I had smashed the car in a accident where I was negligent or had it stolen parked somewhere dodgy, I could understand. But this literally happened in my garage as I got home and there were all the bells and whistles on the car with alarm, immboliser and tracking unit. They still managed to get the car into a remote area about 10kms away ( doing 170+ on a freeway according to the unit ) and stripping the unit out in just under 20 odd minutes post hijacking. I was locked in the garage after they left and only reported the vehicle about 5 mins after once I broke out, so they had a slight head start.

EMG76

Does all Insurance companies ask for proof of ownership? what a schlep that was, looking through thousands of photo's, emails, bank statements etc. Luckily I could find some sort of proof.
Do people even know that they have to prove that they've owned or paid for everything they've claimed for? Excuse my ignorance but shouldn't things like these be printed in bold, No claim will be paid if proof of ownership can't be produced. Just my 5cents....

EMG76

Yep. If I had smashed the car in a accident where I was negligent or had it stolen parked somewhere dodgy, I could understand. But this literally happened in my garage as I got home and there were all the bells and whistles on the car with alarm, immboliser and tracking unit. They still managed to get the car into a remote area about 10kms away ( doing 170+ on a freeway according to the unit ) and stripping the unit out in just under 20 odd minutes post hijacking. I was locked in the garage after they left and only reported the vehicle about 5 mins after once I broke out, so they had a slight head start.
Sorry to hear of your ordeal, must have been traumatizing and you still had to put up with all the sh!tfrom your insurance afterwards. Strongs!