Discovery Insure - Vitality drive - what a BOS UP

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
I can honestly say that after a month or two, I am ready to cancel and move on. This product is a waste of time.
I tried calling the call center today - we own one car which we (my wife and I) both drive around an equal amount a month.
I have android, she has iOS. Both apps show different data for the same trips - they are super buggy.
They deduct points for phone usage on trips when you're the passenger in the car.
I queried this and the call center agents says he can't see any deductions for that trip on his end.
I asked to see the trips online - he says the vitality drive dashboard on the PC browser should be identical to the phone - except there's no historic trip information showing on my PC in the browser, but he can't explain why. I describe what I see and even ask him how to get into the dashboard, but no go... and he can't do anything about it.

It's a bit of a joke actually.

3WA

Honorary Master
Turn on battery saving mode on the passenger's device each trip. Not ideal, but it works.

Paul Bedford

They also deduct points for speeding when the speed limits they have in their system are wrong. On the N6 between Bloem and East London, I managed to have over 200 points deducted on the last trip I did when the only time I know that I was over the limit was when I was overtaking a truck. Admittedly, the posted speed limit signs make no sense with seemingly arbitrary changes from 100 to 120km/h, sometimes within a couple of km of each other.

Their braking limits are also crazy. If you are travelling at the speed limit and a traffic light turns amber, you end up with points deducted if you stop which you can do comfortably. This seems to be particularly bad in areas where there is an 80km/h speed limit. While I'm sure it doesn't account for all the drivers that go through amber/red lights, some of them are Discovery clients that don't want points deducted.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Turn on battery saving mode on the passenger's device each trip. Not ideal, but it works.
Yeah, I think I'll have to get into this habit.
I did a comparitive quote and Naked was R100 more for the car portion alone, so Discovery's prices are not bad.

Reactions: 3WA

Tomtomtom

It's a bit of a joke actually.

Trying to build what is essentially an IMU on a consumer smartphone is a bit of a joke idea frankly.

Quite cool that it works at all, but I struggle to see how it can be more than a gimmick even if the bugs are fixed. The phone OS has no interest in facilitating this use case. There's no hope of collecting the data at consistently high resolution.

Plus the insurer probably gets all its really useful actuarial inputs from the metadata e.g. where you're driving to and from, how often, the brand of phone, the very fact you have this app etc.

Grubscrew

Expert Member
So you pay them money every month and then you must jump through hoops?

TechGirl04

You can park your trip as passenger or driver. So if I'm driving my husbands car while he is with me and the trip records on his phone, he marks the trip as passenger.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I had a frustrating experience with Discovery Insure, both their calculations of trips, incidents, etc. and one claim that I had on an essentially brand new car. I don't pay the insurance premium on my daily drive any more but I am not sure I would rush back to Discovery Insure if I did.

3WA

Honorary Master
I am a simple man, one should look at a product that meets your needs and budget. Not one that you have to adapt to so that it then can meet your needs to be worth it financially.

My need is to get a free iPhone.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Bro, your mistake was cheaping out on your insurance. You get Discovery KeyHealth and then complain you don't get the full Executive plan? All you need to do is get the standalone GPS tracker fitted. Benefits: you never have to worry about your phone linking up; no 'confusing numbers'; and it just works. I've been with Discovery for 5+ years and you know what I've never worried about? The tracking experience.

Now phone them back and get the standalone tracker fitted (which is done by a qualified C-track installer - very professional), and move on with your life. You're with Discovery for the claims experience (which I have personal experience of - two successful claims logged), and presumably because they gave you a decent premium (with the added benefit of fuel back based on your petrol spend).

Neuk_

Executive Member
Their app once recorded high-G cornering for me as I reversed out of a parking place ....

Even with my granny driving I managed to trigger the hell out of Discovery Insure at times :ROFL: