Discovery medical aid, help choosing an option.

krycor

Honorary Master
Look at the Smart series.
Full hospital cover (within network), and some day-to-day benefits also.
Competitive pricing with Core
Just remember not all doctors are on that Discovery day-to-day benefit.. you can easily tell though.. e.g. if doc consultation fee is greater than the norm, its almost guaranteed he is not a Discovery network doc. I think the going rate is R350-450 ? (not sure) one we use costs almost R800 :crying: but kid likes him and we rarely / never go presently other than for him.

8BitLife

Hi,

Have some questions myself and hope you guys understand this better than me and can explain it:

The Keycare Core plan basically seems like it is just a hospital plan. If you earn more than R13801, your premium will be R1809. The Classic Smart is only R145 more expensive and comes with day-to-day cover and 200% DHR cover as opposed to 100% for Keycare Core. So what is the point of Keycare Core?

Also, is the Keycare series the only one where your premium is based on income? In other words, if Classic Smart says the premium is R1954 then it is R1954 regardless of your monthly income?

Next up is Classic Delta Core. Again, seems like it is just a hospital plan with no day-to-day cover, yet it is R6 a month more expensive than Classic Smart. Can someone explain that to me?

Finally, seems the Classic Smart is popular from what I have read in this thread. Do you agree?

Attachments

diapason

Expert Member
Also, is the Keycare series the only one where your premium is based on income? In other words, if Classic Smart says the premium is R1954 then it is R1954 regardless of your monthly income?
The Keycare is based on income level and is aimed mainly at the lower levels. With all the other options salary level is irrelevant.