Discovery members can apply to pay for medical aid with their savings balance

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Are you saying that Discovery should not be allowing their customers to utilise their own funds or... ?
Nothing wrong with it, but they shouldn't make a big thing about it like they're doing people a favour by letting them use their own money...

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Nothing wrong with it, but they shouldn't make a big thing about it like they're doing people a favour by letting them use their own money...
Spot on.

I remember back in 2001 (I think) when I first joined Discovery, the rep explaining the medical savings account and one of the stated benefits was something along the lines of "the money stays your money".

I was like gee wow thanks. How benevolent of you...

rustypup

I was like gee wow thanks. How benevolent of you...
The Discovery Health offering in a nutshell. Use your own money before the fund pays out for pretty much anything.

That and the fantastic travel insurance offering which only 3% of their members will ever actually qualify for. But, boy, do they make a big deal of it.

Forum Reader

They didn't make a big thing about it. It's on their website and they contacted members who qualify. Mybb wrote an article and made this thread so chat to mybb about why they are so excited.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
After getting an "unreplyable" email from Discovery saying I can't use my R15ks savings to cover my R6k premium... I received a call yesterday, and two SMS's - one yesterday, one today saying my "application" was successful - and my premium will be deducted from my savings next month - I guess time will tell.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
It's called marketing. It's always been discovery's only real strength. Putting lipstick on a pig, and making it look like a supermodel is what it's all about. The size of their market share is proof that it works

xrapidx

Honorary Master
It looks like Discovery have used my savings for this months premiums - this is after initially ignorning my request... then telling me I don't have enough savings... then phoning me early last month to tell me its done... (and then also phoning me last week to find out if its been dealt with).

The company's incomptence is staggering, but - at least I finally got to use my savings for something... without some excuse why it can't be used, or fully used.

Spliffcat

Executive Member
The dickheads managed 1 payment. Requested 3 for the hell of it.
Time to vote with the wallet.