Discovery reveals SA's best driving province

R13...

Honorary Master
The list is up-side down with some minor shuffling.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The app is rubbish. It picks up violent cornering at 6km/h

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Surprised that Gauteng is second to be honest.

However, I think they should explain their methodology better. RPM, perhaps a follow up article if possible?

What I mean is that, we are told that speeding, cellphone usage, sharp cornering and harsh breaking negatively impacts your score. But how much? What weighting is given, and how is it calculated?

Does the weighting take into account how dangerous each activity is according to number of accidents caused? Lets say, for instance, that cellphone usage causes 30% of accidents (an improbable figure for arguments sake). Would that be reflected in the weighting assigned to each variable?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Surprised that Gauteng is second to be honest.

However, I think they should explain their methodology better. RPM, perhaps a follow up article if possible?

What I mean is that, we are told that speeding, cellphone usage, sharp cornering and harsh breaking negatively impacts your score. But how much? What weighting is given, and how is it calculated?

Does the weighting take into account how dangerous each activity is according to number of accidents caused? Lets say, for instance, that cellphone usage causes 30% of accidents (an improbable figure for arguments sake). Would that be reflected in the weighting assigned to each variable?
IME, cellphone usage has pretty much the lowest weighting in the app.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
IME, cellphone usage has pretty much the lowest weighting in the app.

Let me guess, speed has the highest?

Speed is the number one cause of accidents, but I think the model should be a bit finer grained. Say, I would argue that doing 70 in a 60 zone is worse than doing 130 in a 120 zone.

Its a pity that the app has no way of capturing drinking and driving behaviour - would be very interested to know the stats behind that. If only people would be honest enough to report it when they do it, so that we can gather information.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Speed is the number one cause of accidents, but I think the model should be a bit finer grained. Say, I would argue that doing 70 in a 60 zone is worse than doing 130 in a 120 zone.

Its a pity that the app has no way of capturing drinking and driving behaviour - would be very interested to know the stats behind that. If only people would be honest enough to report it when they do it, so that we can gather information.

The app is very very simplistic to be honest. But basically, on my commute home, one instance of severe braking and one instance of severe acceleration is normally enough to cost me 2 or 3 out of the 5 stars available.
"Severe cornering" at 6km/h is ridiculous.
The accelerometers are waaaaaay too sensitive unless you're driving something like my ML - woefully underpowered and handling like a barge.

Necuno

Court Jester
Worst drivers:

Cyclists.
Taxies.
Trucks.
Bwn.
Merc.
Camry.
Golf.

Debeer165

Expert Member

Insert "not sure if serious picture"

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Insert "not sure if serious picture"

I'm completely serious.

I know that there is no way in hell that we would ever get people who drink and drive to report when they do it, but if there was a way, I would love to know what the stats are. Do men do it more than women? Do younger people do it more than older people?

Debeer165

Expert Member
I'm completely serious.

I know that there is no way in hell that we would ever get people who drink and drive to report when they do it, but if there was a way, I would love to know what the stats are. Do men do it more than women? Do younger people do it more than older people?

No no not about drinking and driving, my issue lies with your comment about speed being the major cause of accidents.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Now this is a trolling study, if ever I saw one!
Innovative app, though.