Discovery Vitality 2021

ros_b

Is there somewhere I can read up more on this? Is this 10x for instance the 25% back at woolworths etc?
There is no more 10x miles with Discovery Bank. That was the "miles multiplier", where depending on your Vitality Health status, your miles at certain retailers were multiplied (10x if on Diamond). This was only on the old Discovery Card administered by FNB. The benefit continues for as long as you still hold that old card, but as soon as that card expires, you'll be asked to migrate over to the Discovery Bank credit card, which does not have this "Miles multiplier". There are, however, other benefits from the new credit card through Vitality Money. I've been monitoring it for this year, and I have come out a bit better with the new benefits that I did with the old card and the 10x miles multiplier.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Not Vitality specific, more of a general Discovery question.

I changed to a lower medical aid plan as of this month, I also installed the phone app for the first time today.
My advisor confirmed that I am on the new plan and everything is in order, however I see the app and website still shows that I'm on the old plan, with all my old amounts etc.

Is this the norm with Discovery? In this day and age I would have expected it to tick over at the strike of midnight on the first across all their platforms.

Last edited:

bigboy529

Expert Member
Please help out a Vitality noob.

I signed up for Vitality Active today and noticed that I had 1000 points right away.
I went to Track and earn points in the app and saw that it had my dental check up of 24 August listed with 1000 points, so it looks like it back dated my dental check up, I won't complain.

Below dental check up it also lists "Having your glucose checked" as well as "Having your cholesterol checked", but these 2 show no points. What does this mean, does it mean these 2 are still pending or something? I was at the GP on the same day for a general check up and had some blood work done for the 2 already mentioned plus a couple more things.

Should I just leave it and wait or should I ask my GP to somehow confirm on the system that I went for a check up so that I can earn a couple more points, also must he upload the results of my blood work or something?

Leno

Expert Member
Below dental check up it also lists "Having your glucose checked" as well as "Having your cholesterol checked", but these 2 show no points. What does this mean, does it mean these 2 are still pending or something? I was at the GP on the same day for a general check up and had some blood work done for the 2 already mentioned plus a couple more things.

Those details normally come from the Vitality health check you do at Dischem etc (lots of points can be earned if you are healthy)
They do weight, blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol and HIV test

I think its free if you are on discovery health, maybe confirm first

Charlesjjm

Please help out a Vitality noob.

I signed up for Vitality Active today and noticed that I had 1000 points right away.
I went to Track and earn points in the app and saw that it had my dental check up of 24 August listed with 1000 points, so it looks like it back dated my dental check up, I won't complain.

Should I just leave it and wait or should I ask my GP to somehow confirm on the system that I went for a check up so that I can earn a couple more points, also must he upload the results of my blood work or something?
If your glucose and cholesterol is outside of the target you won't get any points. The app will tell you which points are still pending and what has been allocated.

To get the maximum points for the checkups, schedule an appointment with a Dischem or Clicks clinic, or the Discovery Store. If all's good you could get up to 20k points.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Please help me understand the exercise points.
220 less my age is 188.
100 points for 30 minutes above 60% that's 112 BPM for me.
200 points for 30 minutes above 70% which is 131 BPM for me.
300 points for 30 minutes above 80% which is 150 BPM for me.
Do I have this correct and where does 60 minutes come in to play?

Then also how strict are they on time and BPM, if I for example start a bike ride but my BPM only goes above 70% after a few minutes and I end my ride after say 40 minutes and it turns out my heart rate was above 70% for only 29 minutes, do they give me the 30 minutes or must it be 30 minutes on the dot?

3WA

Honorary Master
220 less my age is 188.
Do I have this correct?

Then also how strict are they on time and BPM, if I for example start a bike ride but my BPM only goes above 70% after a few minutes and I end my ride after say 40 minutes and it turns out my heart rate was above 70% for only 29 minutes, do they give me the 30 minutes or must it be 30 minutes on the dot?

It's just average heart rate, so you can be below the mark for a bit and above for a bit as long as you're above on average. In my experience they round up, so you get the benefit of the doubt if you land on the threshold.

If you're 32, the heart rate table values for you are:

60%: 113
70%: 132
80%: 151

Link to the table:

Jase

Executive Member
220 less my age is 188.

IIRC, it has to be 30 mins in total. From past experience, I have run 35 mins and my average HR was at 69% I only received the 100 points.

mjzar

220 less my age is 188.

You could earn max points for a Moderate level workout for 60 min.
Have a look at the Vitality fitness points table

As already said its the avg HR for a single workout, at least 30 minutes in duration

Attachments

• vitality_fitness_points_table_2021.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 2

Tinuva

The Magician
220 less my age is 188.

If your watch or device you use, support showing the average HR or even in a %, then absolute make sure you use that. Easiest way to guarantee you can see any time during your workout if you on point or not.

Polar watch I had a long time ago supported this from the get go.
The polar app with a strap supports this.
I have been on Samsung galaxy that last year or two (not the greatest for fitness), and it took them 3 years before they implemented the feature request to add average HR display during the workout. At least now it does.

Easiest way to get it at what you want, first warm up before starting the timer on the watch. Get close or just above the average you want then start it, then it is easy to keep it high enough the whole duration. You need to warm up anyways in most cases so use that to get your heart rate up. Obviously in a safe way please.

Ebo

Is there any way to top up your Discovery Miles with cash, i.e. transfer cash to the Discovery Miles account ?

Cray

Honorary Master
If your watch or device you use, support showing the average HR or even in a %, then absolute make sure you use that. Easiest way to guarantee you can see any time during your workout if you on point or not.

Polar watch I had a long time ago supported this from the get go.
The polar app with a strap supports this.
I have been on Samsung galaxy that last year or two (not the greatest for fitness), and it took them 3 years before they implemented the feature request to add average HR display during the workout. At least now it does.

Easiest way to get it at what you want, first warm up before starting the timer on the watch. Get close or just above the average you want then start it, then it is easy to keep it high enough the whole duration. You need to warm up anyways in most cases so use that to get your heart rate up. Obviously in a safe way please.
Great post - I had a first-gen Fitbit that measured average heart rate but had no way to view it so it was always hit and miss.

I then got a Garmin and it makes a huge amount of difference being able to monitor your heart rate in real-time. Another nice feature is the ability to pause a workout and resume. This makes a big difference if you are playing sport/doing exercise that has some downtime between periods of high heart rate, so you can pause when your heart rate drops and resume when you are back to higher exertions.

Charlesjjm

Is there any way to top up your Discovery Miles with cash, i.e. transfer cash to the Discovery Miles account ?
Nope. You can, however, buy Miles from another person that is willing to sell theirs.

Reactions: Ebo

T_d_T_M

Whats the difference between Vitality and Vitality Active? I'm starting a new job and I see that Vitality is R290 and Vitality Active is R89.

I'm either a horrible googler or I can't find any info on this online?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Are there any points on offer for Vitality Home, I see it when logging in to the website, looks like it's videos on fitness, cooking, mental health etc. that you can watch.

Also how does the mental wellbeing goal work, I see the Health app on my iPhone also have a mindfullness thing, but I have no idea how it works or how to get points.

Last edited:

MRK911

Whats the difference between Vitality and Vitality Active? I'm starting a new job and I see that Vitality is R290 and Vitality Active is R89.

I'm either a horrible googler or I can't find any info on this online?
I think Vitality includes all 3 as in Vitality Active/Health, Vitality Money and Vitality Drive