Discovery Vitality price increases and benefits changes

krycor

Honorary Master
#Waits4TheItsOkToNotBeGold/Diamond you know thats coming down the road.

So I guess they will be waiting for April to do major changes that upset people.

BrrIan

It has reached the point where Vitality might be costing me more than I'm getting out of it.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
You need a Phd in Actuarial Science to understand Vitality.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Vitality is just too expensive for what you get, I have canceled years ago. Still a Discovery Health member, though.

Method

Executive Member
Right, I'm cancelling.

Might even cancel my medical aid while I'm at it.

Fsck you too Discovery!

konfab

Honorary Master
You need a Phd in Actuarial Science to understand Vitality.
Not really.

Get physical and fitness assessment done to unlock 25% Healthyfood benefit.
Then
Try to make your grocery list fit as much on this list as possible:
https://www.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/healthy_food_catalogue.pdf
Get the 25% back, which if you are a veggie lover like me is no problem, covers my monthly cost.

Now do the weekly parkrun and other exercises to get free coffee, proudly paid for by people who are too stupid/lazy to read the very simple instructions.

The nice thing about the 25% cashback is that you hedge yourself against food price increases.

HBee

Expert Member
This is one form of social engineering you can decline.

Dr Who

How is it possible that Discovery actually costs you more than its worth?

If I were to add up the value of the flights benefit alone I would always exceed the cost of the service. Then you add in the health benefits and discounts at shops and Uber which is a big one and its impossible.

Last year went to NYC and saved a cool R6000 on tickets. This year we busy using the flight booster and should get R2k worth of tickets almost free. We are on diamond though.

konfab

Honorary Master
How is it possible that Discovery actually costs you more than its worth?
People don't RTFM.

I am on bronze and the HealthyFood payback alone covers the monthly subscription.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What I don't get is why must members pay for Vitality? Surely it is in their best interest if people are on Vitality, so they should actually pay member to get Vitality.

theratman

Executive Member
I've been on vitality for 3 years and never made use of any of the benefits. Close to 10k wasted. Going to be cancelling it right now.

Cray

Honorary Master
A new benefit called Shoe Booster will let you buy a pair of running shoes with your HealthyGear card, giving you up to 25% cash back.

You can then earn a further 75% cash back on the purchase if you meet all of your weekly goals in a month
This is decent, wonder if it can apply to squash shoes...

krycor

Honorary Master
What I don't get is why must members pay for Vitality? Surely it is in their best interest if people are on Vitality, so they should actually pay member to get Vitality.
Because technically they can't do the indirect bundling with Medical aid (see medical aids act).. they do it for Life/Disability policy holders but it still shows as a line item and opt-in. Also i think it's managed as a separate dept with a budget.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Pretty much my sentiment as well. My cashback from Woolies/Dischem is less than 150/month. My 45K points cap in March if I do the various tests (I skipped the tests this year and reached the cap in June).

Never used their smoothies or any of the other pointless bling. I would rather prefer having a decent medical scheme without all the frills which would avoid members for being healthy through a reduction of premiums or providing real benefits. I would rather have a free Men's Health/Runners World subscription than getting those stupid f**** smoothies every week (which I don't use).

And don't get me started with their team-vitality and the endless problems I had getting my ASA race number. Hearing all sorts of horror stories from other medical aids makes me rather stick with Discovery and complain a few times a year :whistling:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Points - that's the other thing. Points are only useful if you are playing games. This is real life and here money is the name of the game. If their points can't be directly switched to money like PnP Smart Shopper points or ABSA Rewards then I'm not interested. GTFO.

While we're at it - the fitness you gain by getting Discovery points is p.....s. I am by no means a top athlete, yet I look at the level at which Vitality member perform to get their weekly smoothies... Nee man.