• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

'Disgraceful!' Twitter lashes out as marathon collapse sours Games' final day

ForceFate

Honorary Master
A marathon runner's dramatic collapse struck a sour note on the last day of the Commonwealth Games on Sunday as hosts Australia finished runaway winners on the medals table with 80 golds.

Organisers defended the medical response but criticised bystanders for snapping pictures of a stricken Callum Hawkins, who keeled over two kilometres from victory.

In temperatures nudging 30 degrees Celsius in Gold Coast, Scotland's Hawkins wobbled and went down twice, lying prone for some time before help arrived

"I like many others was distressed to see a wonderful athlete like Callum collapse during the closing stages of today's marathon," said chief organiser Mark Peters.

"I was also concerned about the behaviour of a small number of bystanders who chose to take images. This is not in keeping with the spirit of GC2018."

TV commentators and viewers blasted Hawkins' wait for medical assistance, while many also criticised the bystanders who took pictures.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/2...t-as-marathon-collapse-sours-games-final-day/

ponder

Honorary Master
Crying about nothing. That guy had a choice to plonk his ass down or to continue. Do you expect medical staff every 100m along a marathon course? People collapse at most marathons.

World has gone mad.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I thought his acting was over the top. Every ****ing marathon has one of these plonkers acting out the scenes of a Hollywood B movie. I thought the same of this guy. I see nothing wrong with what the people next to the track did. Those pics would make awesome memes.

Like said here before, if he was in real distress, then plonk your ****ing ass down and call for medical assistance.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
One guy? You should have seen the number of athletes that needed medical assistance during/after yesterday's Ironman here in PE. :eek:

rietrot

Executive Member
And this is what the world has come too....no one tries to offer aid.
But why should people and how legal would that even be?
The most some bystander can do is offer the guy some water if he crawls off to the side and ask for it.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
And this is what the world has come too....no one tries to offer aid.
The sad reality is that now you try to help him, something goes wrong and you get sued for incompetence or negligence. He's a marathon athelete - supposed to be one of the world's best. He's not supposed to collapse - twice. Yes, it's sad, I agree, but lambasting someone for snapping pics? Really? When someone takes pictures or videos of accidents at the F1 their videos are sold for quite some money - why is this any different?

konfab

Honorary Master
Crying about nothing. That guy had a choice to plonk his ass down or to continue. Do you expect medical staff every 100m along a marathon course? People collapse at most marathons
This. If he was in really serious trouble he wouldn't have been getting up. It looks pretty routine. If he had started coughing up blood or something along those lines you would have bet the crowd would have helped.

The Games have been painted by organisers as Australia's chance to burnish its image for sportsmanship after a Test cricket cheating scandal which shocked the nation.
What would you expect from a land of criminals...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
The sad reality is that now you try to help him, something goes wrong and you get sued for incompetence or negligence. He's a marathon athelete - supposed to be one of the world's best. He's not supposed to collapse - twice. Yes, it's sad, I agree, but lambasting someone for snapping pics? Really? When someone takes pictures or videos of accidents at the F1 their videos are sold for quite some money - why is this any different?
Curious about whether you play(ed)/watch sport. I'm not going to judge you on one stupid comment.

Cray

Honorary Master
Most of this criticism is pretty silly, expecting spectators to help even more so. I know in the Comrades you are allowed to be helped across the line by a fellow competitor but not by a Marshall or member of the public. If i was a spectator, I for one, would be loathe to assist someone and possibly risk them being disqualified (unless they specifically asked for it).

As for medics not being immediately on hand, unless you are going to have a medic shadow everyone of the 26 runners over 42km that's also pretty silly.

Cray

Honorary Master
The sad reality is that now you try to help him, something goes wrong and you get sued for incompetence or negligence. He's a marathon athelete - supposed to be one of the world's best. He's not supposed to collapse - twice.
How much long distance running have you actually watched...? Any athlete, elite or not can be pushed beyond their limits. There is a famous clip of the Comrades of the then leader being beaten across the line in the final meters after collapsing twice.... Sometime athletes push themselves to far in the pursuit of a goal, it happens to the best athletes too..