• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

'Disgraceful!' Twitter lashes out as marathon collapse sours Games' final day

Emjay

Expert Member
Most of this criticism is pretty silly, expecting spectators to help even more so. I know in the Comrades you are allowed to be helped across the line by a fellow competitor but not by a Marshall or member of the public. If i was a spectator, I for one, would be loathe to assist someone and possibly risk them being disqualified (unless they specifically asked for it).
Ironman has the exact same rules. They are very, very strict too. Pass your sunglasses to a spectator? That would be considered as outside assistance and will lead to a disqualification.

I think the issue with this is that it was painful to watch. Help took 1.5 minutes to arrive - so people were understandably upset and uncomfortable. Not sure what the level of care is for these events, so feel like it has been blown out of proportion a bit.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Have a quick gander at some of those Twitter user's pages. They are hemorrhaging virtue signals everywhere.

Social media contacts are mostly more than happy to oblige your ego massage with a Like, Share and an almighty Amen.

Edit: If someone had helped him these same user's would either be tearing into that person with their vast medical knowledge and keyboard PHD's or they would be posting teary eyed videos praising the world for standing united as a community and would be heaping unfettered praises and adoration for this person. It just takes 1 user to set the stage on which way it's going to go and they all follow like sheep :whistling:

Seeing this nauseating behavior on a daily basis caused me to terminate and nuke from orbit every single social media platform I had.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Have a quick gander at some of those Twitter user's pages. They are hemorrhaging virtue signals everywhere.

Social media contacts are mostly more than happy to oblige your ego massage with a Like, Share and an almighty Amen.

Edit: If someone had helped him these same user's would either be tearing into that person with their vast medical knowledge and keyboard PHD's or they would be posting teary eyed videos praising the world for standing united as a community and would be heaping unfettered praises and adoration for this person. It just takes 1 user to set the stage on which way it's going to go and they all follow like sheep :whistling:

Seeing this nauseating behavior on a daily basis caused me to terminate and nuke from orbit every single social media platform I had.
Except MyBB?

Stopped using Facebook and Twitter along time ago

Emjay

Expert Member
One guy? You should have seen the number of athletes that needed medical assistance during/after yesterday's Ironman here in PE. :eek:
But they run a marathon after a 4km swim and a 180km bike... :p

I think they need medical assistance (read mental health) before racing.

j/k

I am an endurance athlete too.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
TV commentators and viewers blasted Hawkins' wait for medical assistance, while many also criticised the bystanders who took pictures.
So what is the issue with this? The cameras were also filming the guy the whole time for live broadcast around the world. Should the feed have also been turned off?