Disgruntled Durban WC guards fired, paid off

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=2871&art_id=nw20100615150253908C842646

About two thousand disgruntled security guards, watched closely by riot police, handed in their uniforms and received their pay outside Moses Mabhida stadium on Tuesday, two days after violent scenes at the World Cup venue.

Police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse hundreds of protesting guards, unhappy at the level of pay they were being given, after Germany's victory over Australia on Sunday.

On Tuesday, security staff were marshalled by riot police as they queued up to hand in their World Cup accreditations and orange jackets to Stallion Security officials, receiving small brown envelopes containing a day's pay in return.

One man waved the envelope with R205 rand he had received from the Stallion Security Consortium officials at a blue pick-up and shouted "peanuts, peanuts, peanuts".

"They just told us that our jobs have been taken by the police," said a female security guard, Zanele Mcineka.

"We signed a contract for three months. I want to get a straight answer about whether our jobs are still here."

Organisers said on Monday that police would handle security at the Cape Town and Durban World Cup venues until further notice after a strike by other guards employed by Stallion.

Some former stewards who turned up without the correct papers were turned away by riot police, who had a water cannon on standby.

"We're not fighting with the police, we're fighting for our rights," said Thamsanqa Mapumulo as he was ushered away.

Spain face Switzerland in the second World Cup match at the 62,760-seater Moses Mabhida stadium on Wednesday. - Reuters

I still have this sneaky suspicion that Stallion Security got the tender for this job based on hiring "qualified security personnel" at R1500 each per night. But that they then hired just anybody off the street for R150 a night and Stallion pocketed the rest." Somebody please do some research here... this whole thing is very fishy! :D

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Its funny how when strikes occur at other times, they carry on for weeks. But during the WC, workers are apparently not allowed to strike.

Too embarrassing?

Syphonx

Expert Member
so when other people strike and trash the city nothing happens, when the world cup is on they are all fired immediately, they should start doing this permanently, not just during the world cup

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Too True

I still have this sneaky suspicion that Stallion Security got the tender for this job based on hiring "qualified security personnel" at R1500 each per night. But that they then hired just anybody off the street for R150 a night and Stallion pocketed the rest." Somebody please do some research here... this whole thing is very fishy! :D

Apparently Security Company was subcontracted directly by FIFA -- for the whole of the SWC

Protesting guards 'misled'

"We strongly believe that they have been misled by security companies which did not get the tender," said Tebogo Lehlokoe of Stallion security.

Lehlokoe met with the disgruntled security guards at the stadium gates.

However, other security guards were adamant that their concerns were valid and had to be addressed by their employer.

They claimed that Stallion security had failed to tell them how much they would earn.

"This strike could have been avoided a long time ago. We held meetings and we informed our bosses that we had concerns, but they ignored us," said a security guard who did not want to be named.

He would not apologise. He was fighting for his rights, he said.

He was shocked to learn of the huge disparities in the salaries earned by workers at the different games.

"They just look at you in your face and decide how much you will get. Some got R190 and some got R205. This was done because there was no agreement on the issue of salaries before we started."

Lehlokoe said the workers would be informed about the outcome of negotiations on their concerns.

The "Outcome" is -- INSTANT DISMISSAL

Better hope the M&G get a hold of those LOC Tender documents real quick

Celine

Executive Member
how many hours did they work for? if it is 1 hour then that is fair. if they worked for 5 hours then how can they pay them such a ridiculous amount.

LancelotSA

Banned
how many hours did they work for? if it is 1 hour then that is fair. if they worked for 5 hours then how can they pay them such a ridiculous amount.

At 31/01/2010 the minimum wage for a security guard was R9.63 per hour for Area A.

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member

The gates opened at 17:30 so they would've started at least by 17:00 & must've been there until at least 23:00, so that's 6 hours

LancelotSA

Banned
The gates opened at 17:30 so they would've started at least by 17:00 & must've been there until at least 23:00, so that's 6 hours

Nope, they were there long before 17:00 on match day and they have been working around the clock shifts so I am not sure how long those who got paid off were working. If we work on the minimum wage it is around 20 hours, so a few shifts.

Alestorm

Expert Member
R205 for a day isn't bad, I've worked for less than that haha. Many people would be happy to get that.

And really, R205 for 1 hour? That's not fair, it's a rip off to the employers. For 5 hours work it's R41 an hour, which is very fair. I work at the moment for about R50/hour and I'm happy with it. What kind of jobs do you think they're doing Celine!?

Last edited:

Celine

Executive Member
R205 for a day isn't bad, I've worked for less than that haha. Many people would be happy to get that.

And really, R205 for 1 hour? That's not fair, it's a rip off to the employers. For 5 hours work it's R41 an hour, which is very fair. I work at the moment for about R50/hour and I'm happy with it. What kind of jobs do you think they're doing Celine!?

well i'm just thinking on what i do and ask for hehe. i shouldn't really compare notes LOL.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Cosatu 'embarrassed' by security companies

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=2871&art_id=iol1276684579491S263

Trade union federation Cosatu has accused security companies of "embarrassing" the World Cup tournament by allegedly underpaying security stewards at Cape Town Stadium.

The organisation is now trying to schedule a meeting with the Council for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) to deal with the issue.

On Monday, police had to take over security at the stadium during a game between Italy and Paraguay after guards hired for the event walked out over wage disputes.

This followed an incident in Durban at the weekend, when police and striking guards clashed at the Moses Mabhida Stadium after a game between Germany and Australia.

Cosatu has condemned security contractor Stallion Security, whose employees have now protested about wages at five World Cup venues - in Port Elizabeth, Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg.
Cosatu said the company's "short-sightedness" was the cause of the strike.

"The greed of security companies is causing tension at (stadiums). Some companies are underpaying workers in relation to what the stadium pays the security companies.

"This leads to a situation where workers doing the same job are paid different rates of pay on the same site."

Although the workers were not Cosatu members, the union said it would assist in reaching a solution.

On Tuesday the City of Cape Town thanked the police for stepping in and said police students, along with the city's law enforcement, would remain in place as a contingency measure for future matches.

The national commissioner of police, General Bheki Cele, said: "We have activated necessary and adequate contingency plans to different stadiums in the country.

"Our priority call of action according to our mandate is to ensure the safety of the tournament."

"We are confident that we will not compromise the safety of the tournament or our day-to-day normal policing."

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that was what was happening. I hope this Stallion Security takes a hit for this.

Rosaudio

First Officer
I dont get it, they sit on their asses for a couple of hours and get to go to WC matches for free yet they want R1500 a night? :erm:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I dont get it, they sit on their asses for a couple of hours and get to go to WC matches for free yet they want R1500 a night? :erm:

Yes, if that is what they were contracted for... is it wrong of them to expect what was contracted for?

And your comment is a bit misleading.... have you watched them at the games? They stand facing the crowd for the entire duration of the game in the cold watching for signs of trouble. They don't get to see a single minute of the game.

Rosaudio

First Officer
Yes, if that is what they were contracted for... is it wrong of them to expect what was contracted for?

And your comment is a bit misleading.... have you watched them at the games? They stand facing the crowd for the entire duration of the game in the cold watching for signs of trouble. They don't get to see a single minute of the game.

Oh they were contracted that amount? Oh that's different.. :erm:

Anyway I wouldn't mind facing the crowd the whole time if I got to attend free matches. You're still there ;)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Oh they were contracted that amount? Oh that's different.. :erm:

Anyway I wouldn't mind facing the crowd the whole time if I got to attend free matches. You're still there ;)

Ja, people watching is almost as fun as game watching.... and bonus if you are stuck in front of some of the more curvaceous fans! :D

genetic

Honorary Master
If you were contracted a certain amount, and you were paid way below what was stipulated in the contract, you'd freak out right?

Doesn't matter that it's a WC match. These guys deserve to get what was stipulated in their contract. I hope the security company gets nailed at the CCMA. I'm sure many of these guys have families they need to feed. It's pathetic.

Albereth

Honorary Master

But the price paid for a ticket is fair? Take things in proportion and there is a rip off. Let me rephrase that - there are at least two rip offs.

Last edited: