Disgruntled mayor barricades Rand Water gates demanding water for residents

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...-gates-demanding-water-for-residents-20180109

Johannesburg – Frustrated Emfuleni mayor Jacob Khawe barricaded the gates of Rand Water's Glenvista head office in Emfuleni, Vereeniging on Tuesday morning, following the interruption of water supplies due to debt to the water board.

Khawe told News24 that, although his municipality was financially vulnerable, there was an agreement with Rand Water to pay off the debt.

"The agreement was that [Rand Water] would open the water [on Monday night]. The agreement doesn’t include a complete closing of water, but a water reduction of 40% to manage the current account. Rand Water has still not given the instruction for water to be opened," he said.

Khawe, who told News24 that he was with his mayoral committee and senior management in the council, said he could not sit in his office while residents were without water.

The municipality's communications manager, Stanley Gaba, said in a statement that the areas most affected by the water reduction included Vanderbijlpark, Evaton West, Evaton, Evaton North, Lakeside, Sebokeng, Rustervaal, and Roshnee.

Drifter

Honorary Master
It's been hell since last Friday. Almost zero water pressure. At least we still get a bit of water, but Roshnee and Vanderbijl has had zip.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Didn't seem to bother the mayor all that much to sit in his office while they were busy running up that debt..

Didn't seem to bother the mayor all that much to sit in his office while they were busy running up that debt..
No, because at the time he received the monthly water bill for R300m, he found other places were better to allocate the money to and line the pockets of certain individuals. He was probably under the impression they would never cut the water and that the ANC would prevent it.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
"Why are we not getting our free stuff for free!!!!" SA mentality.

Maybe the municipality should charge residents a "we didn't do what we were supposed to" levy to raise additional funds.

Last edited:

The_MAC

Expert Member
This is the new Mayor. Previous one resigned about a month ago.
Oh ok, because from what I have heard and read, the previous mayor was paid ver very well, but did very very little.

Vereeniging looks like a $hit hole, been going down rapidly over the last 5 years, very sad.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Oh ok, because from what I have heard and read, the previous mayor was paid ver very well, but did very very little.

Vereeniging looks like a $hit hole, been going down rapidly over the last 5 years, very sad.
True that. You will never find me in Vereeniging town.

R13...

Honorary Master

Sad, you'd think with all that industry the municipality should have been earning good income. I wonder what businesses and industry are doing unless they get their supply direct from Rand Water it makes it hard to operate. The mismanagement will result in businesses leaving the area making things even worse.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
"Why are we not getting our free stuff for free!!!!" SA mentality.

Maybe the municipality should charge residents a "we didn't do what we were supposed to" levy to raise additional funds.
Well, water should be free, not a payed service.

The shutting off of water in and of itself is a violation of basic human rights.

On 28 July 2010, through Resolution 64/292, the United Nations General Assembly explicitly recognized the human right to water and sanitation and acknowledged that clean drinking water and sanitation are essential to the realisation of all human rights.
http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/human_right_to_water.shtml

Access to safe water should no longer be seen as a service, but as a human right.
http://www.unric.org/en/water/27360-making-water-a-human-right

Drifter

Honorary Master
Sad, you'd think with all that industry the municipality should have been earning good income. I wonder what businesses and industry are doing unless they get their supply direct from Rand Water it makes it hard to operate. The mismanagement will result in businesses leaving the area making things even worse.
Premier of Gauteng was at Emfuleni council yesterday. He is busy with a deal where Rand Water will take over the water supply as well as maintenance and upgrades from the Emfuleni council.

Well, water should be free, not a payed service.

The shutting off of water in and of itself is a violation of basic human rights.

http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/human_right_to_water.shtml

http://www.unric.org/en/water/27360-making-water-a-human-right
That is what I have been thinking all along. Making water provision a paid service and only expecting certain income groups to pay for it is wrong. If it is a basic human right, it should not be charged for and everyone should get it for free. Government needs to spend trillions more on ensuring new infrastructure that would allow for unlimited taps being installed at every building, house, shack, you name it. According to the constitution, this would be their duty.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Premier of Gauteng was at Emfuleni council yesterday. He is busy with a deal where Rand Water will take over the water supply as well as maintenance and upgrades from the Emfuleni council.
That is the best solution for all affected municipalities until they get their house in order, we were paying Rand water directly and their service was excellent, they read the meters on time and delivered our bills door to door, until the municipality took over.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Yep the billing is a nightmare in Emfuleni. They reckon we use on average 23Kl to 28Kl per month. No huge pool, just the wife and I in the house. We always shower, and dont water the garden or lawn. I have drums for rain water for that.