Dishwasher recommendation. Yes or No? If yes which brand/model?

Matt91

Expert Member
Bosch series 4 - Silence Plus

quiet and washes like a dream.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
I can never convince myself to get one. ROI is none existent on a dishwasher. Like in the OP, convenience and water use, is a positive. But everything else, is a negative for me.
Very expensive if you compare the price of dishwasher tablets to a bottle of Sunlight liquid. And you have to get a special liquid, just to clean your dishwasher.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I can never convince myself to get one. ROI is none existent on a dishwasher. Like in the OP, convenience and water use, is a positive. But everything else, is a negative for me.
Very expensive if you compare the price of dishwasher tablets to a bottle of Sunlight liquid. And you have to get a special liquid, just to clean your dishwasher.
Not if you buy all in one tablets. Convenience and water use is a big positive not to mention less electricity usage due to it not using the geyser. Mine takes about half a sink full of water to wash a full load of dishes. Can never do that with hand washing. It's a no brainer to get a dishwasher.

RedViking

Nord of the South
It depends on your circumstances.

In my case, I buy a pack of 100's Finish or when there is a special. A pack of 100 last me 5-6 months. So that is R50-R60 a month when not on special. Then I also add the shiny stuff liquid (can't remember what is called, lol). I think that is R20 or R30 and last about 4-6 months. Some also add salt which is R10 a pack and last a couple of months. So lets say it works out R70-80 a month to run the dishwasher it is more than worth it from a convenience point as well as time saving. You don't need extra stuff to clean the dishwasher, specially the Bosch, I've never done that, it cleans itself with every wash.

It takes me 5 minutes to pack or pack during the day as stuff are dirtied. No scrubbing of pots or pans. When it is done the dishes are dry and can be packed away. It also cleans exceptionally well. Kitchen is always clean.

Just the fact that you almost never have to clean dishes again is amazing. There are some items that is not practical to wash in dishwasher, but even then the time saving is huge.

Vuilhaas

I've got a Siemens iQ100. Very happy with it so far. The dedicated utensil draw is a real winner as you've got more space for dishes.

Siemens is owned by Bosch, so the quality seems about the same but Siemens is slightly cheaper.

As an added bonus, you have a running joke regarding washing your dishes in your Siemen(s):ROFL:

RedViking

Nord of the South
I've got a Siemens iQ100. Very happy with it so far. The dedicated utensil draw is a real winner as you've got more space for dishes.

Siemens is owned by Bosch, so the quality seems about the same but Siemens is slightly cheaper.

As an added bonus, you have a running joke regarding washing your dishes in your Siemen(s):ROFL:
Must say, a dedicated utensil drawer would have been awesome.

Vuilhaas

Must say, a dedicated utensil drawer would have been awesome.
It really is. It's also deep enough to fit it the longer stuff like spatulas, knives, baby bottle lids and teats etc. Its extremely versatile and really makes a significant difference to how much you can get into a single load

RedViking

Nord of the South
It really is. It's also deep enough to fit it the longer stuff like spatulas, knives, baby bottle lids and teats etc. Its extremely versatile and really makes a significant difference to how much you can get into a single load
It would work nicely for all my wife's cupcake cups... :ROFL:

Antelope

Anyone else using a siemens dishwasher?
Are they largely the same with different names?

ahmedomar

Does anyone have experience with the Hisense dishwasher? I see it has a A++ energy rating

mr_norris

Expert Member
Does anyone have experience with the Hisense dishwasher? I see it has a A++ energy rating

I do. I went for this one because I'm a cheap bugger and it was 4k at the time. The bosch was a couple of hundred more, and that spoke louder than the bosch fans in this thread. I have no regrets, but it isn't perfect:

My only gripe is that it's quite loud. But I do live in a really small place so I think if you have a big place it shouldn't matter that much. There is no real separation between my kitchen and living area, so I hear it all. From day one it has been making this loud bang about a half hour in the eco cycle every time I used it. I thought something was hitting the fan blade every time but then I realised it was the bloody dishwasher tablet dropping LOL. So yeah, I can see where they have cut corners. I think the more expensive ones are just a tiny bit more solid built, and are better at insulating sound.

Otherwise this dishwasher has to be the biggest one inside I've ever used, even though it's a 12 place and I'm sure I've used a 14 place before. The top shelf is absolutely massive - you can really go to town with putting stuff up there because of the height, while still having enough space below so the fans don't hit plates and cutlery.

Feature wise I can't really say much. It has a few programs that range from 30 minute to 4h. It also has delay start which I have found quite useful. Now that I've realised that running it while sleeping is a bad idea, I usually set it to start running just before I wake up.

And if the official specs are anything to go by, the water usage is quite reasonable. Seems to be more or less on par with other brands.

The interface is really simple, to the point where you probably don't need to RTFM. It's not what I'd call pretty either, but the metallic design is quite nice. It matches all my other budget hisense appliances :D

neoprema

Executive Member
Obviously a SMEG, how would it match with the kitchen's pastel colors if anything else? :rolleyes:

Craig_

Honorary Master
Bought a Russell Hobbs one 7 years ago, no issues with it and it gets used a lot. I'm a lazy bugger when it comes to dishes. It runs almost daily.