Disney goes after Netflix with $12.99-a-month streaming bundle

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Disney goes after Netflix with $12.99 streaming bundle

Walt Disney Co. is pricing a new bundle of streaming services at a surprisingly low $12.99 a month, challenging Netflix Inc. with a package that includes family programming, live sports and a deep library of television shows.

The entertainment giant announced the combined pricing for Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu on a conference call Tuesday with investors. It will debut as part of the November launch of the Disney+ service and represents a near 30% discount to their individual prices.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Will Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu package be available in South Africa? If yes I will have to add this to my list of streaming services.
Not on launch no. $12.99 for ESPN+ alone in SA would do immense damage to Supersport considering literally all the rugby is on ESPN+ and the cricket, and pretty much all the soccer that everyone cares about as well.

US VPN will be useful at this point in time.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Not on launch no. $12.99 for ESPN+ alone in SA would do immense damage to Supersport considering literally all the rugby is on ESPN+ and the cricket, and pretty much all the soccer that everyone cares about as well.

I don't watch sport on tv at all, but I'll just have to get me one of those to spite DSTV even more.. :)

LCBXX

Honorary Master
DStv would do well by partnering with Disney on this initiative. I'm not sure how they'd need to do it but if they don't, they might be in for more Netflix-like hurt.

ripclaw

DStv would do well by partnering with Disney on this initiative. I'm not sure how they'd need to do it but if they don't, they might be in for more Netflix-like hurt.
I don't see DSTV partnering with Disney. This would mean that Disney does some form of revenue sharing. The bean counters at Disney would deem this as unacceptable.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
If I was a shareholder I would vote out the current management and start by making you CEO.

This coming from someone who has never and will never subscribe to DSTV

Azg

Expert Member

No English Premier League and Uefa Champions League.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
No English Premier League and Uefa Champions League.
Ahh I do see that you are right on that front.... I don't follow soccer so wasn't aware of the diff between Premier League and Championship League in england.... or UEFA nations vs UEFA Champions.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If Multichoice doesn't offer a proper streaming service for the full Supersport bouquet soon they're going to be in trouble. Once SmartDNS services become more popular in SA thanks to stuff like this Disney bundle, people will realise they can also get Sky Sports, regular ESPN etc.

Reactions: McT

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I don't see DSTV partnering with Disney. This would mean that Disney does some form of revenue sharing. The bean counters at Disney would deem this as unacceptable.
More likely Disney would buy Multichoice

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
No, they won't as there's no future in Multichoice and their current business model.

Disney would only buy something if they see potential in it.
Hardly...There are lots of legs left in the Multichoice animal.....

SA may be a dying market for them, but Africa is just starting and it will make SA look like a small playground in terms of the money that can be made....

Disney may actually be interested in MC at some point in the future as a content delivery platform to the entire continent, but not so long as MCs main market is SA.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN

I have a friend with ESPN+ ($5.99) via a proxy he setup himself ($5). Watched SupeRugby and Rugby Championship on this setup. Stream is identical to DSTV sans the adverts and halftime studio chat.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I have a friend with ESPN+ ($5.99) via a proxy he setup himself ($5). Watched SupeRugby and Rugby Championship on this setup. Stream is identical to DSTV sans the adverts and halftime studio chat.
So a better experience then? :)

Azg

Expert Member
Who carries those leagues for broadcast on US TV? Fox, CBS?
English Premier League - NBC (through three channels NBCSN / CNBC and sometimes USA). You can stream these NBC channels by subscribing to FuboTV / Sling / Hulu Live / Playstation Vue.

Uefa Champs League - TNT - you can get stream this through Fubo / Sling. The alternative is Bleacher Report (B/R) Live where you pay per game.

DSTV's compact package is good value once you have tried these American alternatives.