Disney+ officially launched in South Africa - more technical details

R13...

Honorary Master
Any hisense TV owners manage to get the app?
I have had to dust up my shield and getting it hooked up which honestly gives a better experience that VIDAA in terms of sound.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I have had to dust up my shield and getting it hooked up which honestly gives a better experience that VIDAA in terms of sound.
VIdaa is pretty useless, prefer a stick on hisense tv for anything other than netflix/youtube.

StoneCold

Expert Member
I believe Hisense SA will release a VIDAA app for D+ in the next 6-8 weeks. They added one for Britbox when that was available locally, so I guess we just need to give them some time to come to the party. Until then, Android TV box all the way :)

Bucks_Fizz

Just not a pixelated mess? Anyway, think I am nearly already done with my Disney Journey. If they don't offer the same quality for movies (eg. IMAX version, ATMOS) for the stuff I actually care about, then my personal library is of better quality, and Plex continues to live forever. I was really happy to purge my NAS, get rid of all my Blu Rays and just switch to streaming. This weekend will figure out how to get a refund for my annual sub

Edit to say: They have pegged us in the developing country category (it seems) so the plan they sell here is HD with some 4K titles (as I saw on the app today)
I had the same idea. Get rid of blu-rays, clean up some HDD space and stream. But it is more trouble than it is worth at the moment. I am glad i only took the month to month subscription. Will give them the month to sort out the "teething" then i may just go back to Blu-Rays, HDD & Plex also...

VooDooC

Expert Member

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I'm busy cancelling my subscription. I really hate this cell phone only login nonsense and the iPad app not being able to be browsed in landscape is inexcusable.

Hopefully they can address these things then I'll sub again.

flamevector

Did anyone get this to work natively on a Hi Sense TV?

Apparnetly the UK has a native app
been trying to get that running as well. spoke to Disney support yesterday and they did say there where working on it but no ETA unfortauntely.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Ok so no app for Xbox, PS, PC or Hisense TVs running Vidaa. Thought ok cool, lets do a screen mirror via mobile to TV/XBOX and nope the app shows it's protected content and can't be screen shared. So **** out of luck unless I go and buy myself a 3rd party tool like Chromecast or Mi TV Stick. Looks like Disney really want people to rather pirate their stuff in SA.

Digitaluser

No issues on any device for content I have viewed - got the introductory offer - viewing on pc with chrome browser / Hisense Android tv / Samsung tablet :)

Cool_Guy1989

Wow. I'm pulling my hair out here and really regretting signing up for the annual launch special. As we speak I'm on the support chat trying to cancel and get a refund it's that bad! Apart from being logged out regularly and having the kids asking to re-authenticate the streaming is really shocking on LG TV using the native Disney+ app. Freezing every 10-20 seconds, having to fast forward and rewind. Uninstalled and re-installed, same thing. After the 10th time I decided time to cancel. Anyone else having these issues? Oh and BTW, on 100Mbps and happliy stream 4K Netflix/Youtube simultaneously on the same devices.

As much as I was excited to cancel Netflix and try Disney's offering the experience has been horrendous so far and I'm not prepared to pay to be a Disney tester. Thank goodness I hadn't yet bought a Media player for my Samsung (2016) which doesn't have the Disney+ App.

Anyone else successfully processed a cancellation & refund?

I'm about to cancel. I've had it with their rubbish. You can cancel as follows:

They have a statuary obligation to cancel within 7 days.

shiverz

Expert Member
I'm profile sharing with a friend. Running the D+ app on 3 mibox's. It's working fine on the 2 non DV / HDR tv's as well as my phone. It's just the Hisense Q8600 (VIDAA) that's black screening on HDR content. Screen mirroring is working fine on it tho.

I've tried everything to get it to work but no luck. Going to have to stick it out as the wife is enjoying it on her Hisense Android TV.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Ok so no app for Xbox, PS, PC or Hisense TVs running Vidaa. Thought ok cool, lets do a screen mirror via mobile to TV/XBOX and nope the app shows it's protected content and can't be screen shared. So **** out of luck unless I go and buy myself a 3rd party tool like Chromecast or Mi TV Stick. Looks like Disney really want people to rather pirate their stuff in SA.
Why would you need an APP for the PC? The Browser is The App. Perhaps you should have gotten a better tv or (best) streaming box like the nvidia shield :whistling:

stefan9

Executive Member
Why would you need an APP for the PC? The Browser is The App. Perhaps you should have gotten a better tv or (best) streaming box like the nvidia shield :whistling:
Because most browsers are limited to hd while apps allow 4k . Hence why Netflix and Amazon provide apps on the ms store.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Get a better browser :ROFL:
Why would I get a better TV, or an extra streaming box when I have two consoles? The matter of fact is that Disney stuffed up with the SA release in hopes of saving some money. A lot of people stream through their consoles, the majority of streaming services use the same app and backend all over the world and yes the web app is shite, the mobile app is not much better tbh.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Why would I get a better TV, or an extra streaming box when I have two consoles? The matter of fact is that Disney stuffed up with the SA release in hopes of saving some money. A lot of people stream through their consoles, the majority of streaming services use the same app and backend all over the world and yes the web app is shite, the mobile app is not much better tbh.
1653382065430.png

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
So whats the general consensus wrt content(good/bad/average) I'm gonna trial it for a month... Mainly for the star option as I'm not into the superhero stuff

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
So whats the general consensus wrt content(good/bad/average) I'm gonna trial it for a month... Mainly for the star option as I'm not into the superhero stuff
Probably good enough for R120 if you actually have something to watch on their starz section compared to other similar sitcom/watch-a lot offerings. However, more serious content like typical hbo, appletv or shows and movies that would appreciate 4k and/or atmos then no.