Disney+ South Africa gets launch window - Winter 2022

konfab

Honorary Master
“As confirmed in The Walt Disney Company’s Q3 Earnings Call, Disney+ will launch in South Africa in winter 2022,” the spokesperson said.

To quote GabeN:
"In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy," Newell told The Cambridge Student, via VG247. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem.

"For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24x7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty.

Nuro

Expert Member
How weird. Exactly what @konfab quoted. This slow rollout, in this age with all our technology and Disney's vast resources? Piracy really is more convenient and quicker. Well done Disney.
(Not that I pirate anything from Disney+, but watching darkwing duck again would be really cool)

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hopefully ESPN + will also launch

Very much doubt it, or if it does it will be a hugely gimped version.

Supersport holds the licenses for the sports we mostly care about in this country.

But I will definitely sign up for Disney+ when it does launch in this country.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Very much doubt it, or if it does it will be a hugely gimped version.

Supersport holds the licenses for the sports we mostly care about in this country.

But I will definitely sign up for Disney+ when it does launch in this country.
They don't seem to have an exclusive contract with the EPL anymore by the fact that SABC shows the odd match here and there

neoprema

Executive Member
Have DSTV started crying to Govt yet about all the potential job losses if they don't maintain the monopoly?

krycor

Honorary Master
I don’t get why it’s taking them so long.. granted some localization will be needed for here and further entry into Africa but like.. why the delay

Hopefully this due to some caching or network stuff being put in country.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I don’t get why it’s taking them so long.. granted some localization will be needed for here and further entry into Africa but like.. why the delay

Hopefully this due to some caching or network stuff being put in country.
Probably existing licensing problems.

Live is going to get interesting for the vultures at multichoice as content creators move towards streaming their own stuff.

JustAsk

Expert Member
It is Supersport that resells it exclusive rights to air the less popular EPL matches to SABC/Openview.
No its not.

Openview and sabc bought the FTA "one live match a week" rights from a 3rd party, Infront. Other African broadcasters have the same deal.