Divorce settlement question

Mvu

Hi all

I will try to be as brief as possible so I can get to the point...

So my uncle recently got divorced and in the settlement he gets his house, her ex wife's house and she gets 80% of his pension.

After all the ups and downs the settlement was finally signed by both parties. Now issue is it recently came up that her house is not on her name, its still on the person who sold it hers name. Now after all the documents were signed and approved the ex wife sold the house to someone else. (The person recently got a RAF payment so they paid cash). Now the person who bought the house from the ex wife is moving in.

As per my uncle the previous owner and ex wife need to sign the offer to purchase first before it can be his house.

Any way we can fight this legally? Lawyers want more money for them to stop the processing of the pension fund. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So much for brief as possible when there are so many parties and timelines involved that none of it makes sense.

How can she have sold it to someone else if it wasn’t hers to start with as it wasn’t transferred? How could that even be possible in the first place.

Sounds like bullshit or the explanation just doesn’t make sense.

Also how could a divorce court ever have settled in this manner without confirming ownership? It all sounds like bullshit.

R13...

Honorary Master
Hi all

I will try to be as brief as possible so I can get to the point...

So my uncle recently got divorced and in the settlement he gets his house, her ex wife's house and she gets 80% of his pension.

After all the ups and downs the settlement was finally signed by both parties. Now issue is it recently came up that her house is not on her name, its still on the person who sold it hers name. Now after all the documents were signed and approved the ex wife sold the house to someone else. (The person recently got a RAF payment so they paid cash). Now the person who bought the house from the ex wife is moving in.

As per my uncle the previous owner and ex wife need to sign the offer to purchase first before it can be his house.

Any way we can fight this legally? Lawyers want more money for them to stop the processing of the pension fund. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.
If the 80% pension covers it then just kick her off that part of the settlement.

Reactions: "D"

epah

Expert Member
So much for brief as possible when there are so many parties and timelines involved that none of it makes sense.

How can she have sold it to someone else if it wasn’t hers to start with as it wasn’t transferred? How could that even be possible in the first place.

Also how could a divorce court ever have settled in this manner without confirming ownership? It all sounds like bullshit.
I think she had already planned this before the divorce to avoid losing the house, she probably changed ownership to someone else before the divorce and then changed it back after. she is playing the game.

S.Claus

Expert Member
200.gif

Go visit a divorce lawyer because nobody here would/should give you legal advice

Mvu

It's in khayelitsha my broer, anything is possible there. Apparently the ex wife and previous owner had a a signed note/agreement stating that house is being sold.

Mvu

I think she had already planned this before the divorce to avoid losing the house, she probably changed ownership to someone else before the divorce and then changed it back after. she is playing the game.
It was never transferred from the previous owners name to the ex wife's name. Not sure why. Maybe because rdp house or she didn't have the registration money

MidnightZA

Expert Member
It was never transferred from the previous owners name to the ex wife's name. Not sure why. Maybe because rdp house or she didn't have the registration money

Is it a title deed property or a RDP house? That may clear some confusion

It's common that people "sell" those houses even though it doesn't belong to them.

epah

Expert Member
Okay it gets even more complicated if its an RDP. Lawyer up.

rrh

Expert Member
Sounds like a variation of a tripartite agreement which, if so, is legal.

OTOH, depending upon the dates when the various contracts (divorce agreement & sale of the house) were signed etc., could be used to establish that the ex-wife was guilty of knowingly entering into a fraudulent contract with either the uncle or the new purchaser.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Is it an actual house with deed on someone's name. Or is it basically a illegal structure?

If there is a deed. And the rightfully owner can be contacted and you have all the subsequent paperwork in order. Maybe. But that's a start. Get a deed search. Then go see an attorney.

Mvu

Is it an actual house with deed on someone's name. Or is it basically a illegal structure?

If there is a deed. And the rightfully owner can be contacted and you have all the subsequent paperwork in order. Maybe. But that's a start. Get a deed search. Then go see an attorney.
What i understand is that it is still on the previous owner's name and not on the ex wife's name. And it is an actual house. Not sure about rdp or not. What i heard from my uncle is that he must get the previous owner and ex wife to sign the OTP.

Mvu

Sounds like a variation of a tripartite agreement which, if so, is legal.

OTOH, depending upon the dates when the various contracts (divorce agreement & sale of the house) were signed etc., could be used to establish that the ex-wife was guilty of knowingly entering into a fraudulent contract with either the uncle or the new purchaser.
Agreement was some time last month and the house was sold last week.

RonSwanson

Executive Member

This.
If there is an actual house with a title deed, then it sounds like she mislead the courts into believing that she was in a position that she wasn't. Get the attorney to sue for the value of the home from her, as well as a punitive costs order. If she cannot pay, then seek a reasonable equivalent amount that gets deducted from the pension, as of the date of the order.

Edit: make sure that it is in full and final settlement, so that she cannot claim any compensation later when the pension kicks in.

Reactions: Mvu

Mvu

Is it a title deed property or a RDP house? That may clear some confusion

It's common that people "sell" those houses even though it doesn't belong to them.
It is on the previous owner's name so I think it's not RDP. And I doubt court would allow sale of rdp house? This whole thing is just confusing. When I marry, if I do marry, it will definitely be out of community

Mvu

This.
If there is an actual house with a title deed, then it sounds like she mislead the courts into believing that she was in a position that she wasn't. Get the attorney to sue for the value of the home from her, as well as a punitive costs order. If she cannot pay, then seek a reasonable equivalent amount that gets deducted from the pension, as of the date of the order.

Edit: make sure that it is in full and final settlement, so that she cannot claim any compensation later when the pension kicks in.
Thank you

Caldo

Interesting coincidence...
Busy preparing for my exam on Friday... The quoted problem is part of the content... (see attachment)

In my non-legal opinion, if the settlement was made part of the court order, the person can be held in contempt of court and obviously there is the possibility to sue
a7eb5fef9f0da548e35c3886c4c15110.jpg

Mvu

Interesting coincidence...
Busy preparing for my exam on Friday... The quoted problem is part of the content... (see attachment)

In my non-legal opinion, if the settlement was made part of the court order, the person can be held in contempt of court and obviously there is the possibility to sue
a7eb5fef9f0da548e35c3886c4c15110.jpg
Thank you so much for this.