Divorce: Woman’s excessive demands shot down by judge

schumi

Honorary Master
Pretoria - As many of us are feeling the pinch in our pockets with a reduced salary due to the bleak economic times, it is interesting to note that even the rich are affected.

I had a good giggle last week when a judge told a woman that times were changing and it was high time she also contributed to the maintenance of her two small children.

The background is that she is on the brink of a much-contested divorce. But, being used to a lavish lifestyle, the woman demanded R130 000 maintenance a month, pending the divorce.

Ths included R15 000 per child, who she said each consumed R4 000 a month in food. While she said she needed R79 000 for herself to cover her expenses, the children, according to her, needed a further R4 750 a month towards their entertainment bill.

While it is not known exactly what this entertainment entails, especially during the Covid-19 lockdown, the judge frowned upon this demand, as well as several others she made.

But the woman said that they were used to a certain lifestyle, of which her husband could not now deprive them.

He, on the other hand, said while he had earned R130 000 a month - most of which he paid towards his family’s needs - he could no longer do so as he had lost his job.

The judge made it clear that times have changed, and a mother, as much as a father, had a duty to maintain her children.

The judge had a good look at some of her claimed expenses and regarded many as being excessive. The estranged couple were ordered to each contribute 50% towards the household expenses.

More at:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
The judge had a good look at some of her claimed expenses and regarded many as being excessive. The estranged couple were ordered to each contribute 50% towards the household expenses.
Sure, she pays 50% of her expenses and he pays 50% of hers as well as 100% of his own household expenses.

Totally fair.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I am so glad my divorce was simple to get through other than the emotional turmoil :oops: I have heard of similar stories to this, something about divorce makes people go mental and forget basic maths.

Matt91

Expert Member
I am so glad my divorce was simple to get through other than the emotional turmoil :oops: I have heard of similar stories to this, something about divorce makes people go mental and forget basic maths.
I think its a just case of trying to ruin your ex partners life in the most impactful way possible and that always comes down to money.

People who say money doesn't buy you happiness are buying the wrong GD things. :laugh:

Mila

Honorary Master
Good gods. Some people.
I used to work with a lady that had a settlement like this.
She caught him cheating though.. and he was an attorney. It was always amazing that she got away with it.
It almost sounded like a bargain to marry and divorce for profit.
He even had to pay for car maintenance l, new cars and house repairs.

He married his girlfriend and a few years later she cheated on him

Mila

Honorary Master
"Ths included R15 000 per child, who she said each consumed R4 000 a month in food."

WTF is she feeding her kids that costs R4k a month per kid?
Take aways, woolies prepared meals.
I guess someone is going to have to learn how to cook.

abzo

Honorary Master
"Ths included R15 000 per child, who she said each consumed R4 000 a month in food."

WTF is she feeding her kids that costs R4k a month per kid?
That’s only R133 per day? Just over R40 per meal.