DNA confirms burnt out body is that of missing Constantia woman

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - The charred remains found in the boot of a burnt out vehicle at the Diep River train station last week has been confirmed to be that of missing Constantia woman Gill Packham.

Western Cape police spokesperson Captain FC Van Wyk said the identity was confirmed on Thursday by means of a forensic DNA comparison.

"Late [Thursday] night, a team of detectives attached to Diep River SAPS Detective Services, after working tirelessly for the past week, arrested a 57-year-old man at his residence in Constantia for the murder of Packham," he said.

The man has been taken into custody.

"The suspect, who cannot be named at this stage, will appear at the Wynberg Regional Court on Monday, where he will be expected to apply for bail."

Packham, 57, went missing last Thursday morning (February 22), the same day the burnt out BMW was found at the station. A body was found in the boot after the fire was extinguished.

The administrator had been on her way to Springfield Convent School in Wynberg, where she worked, but never arrived.

She was reported missing by a relative late last Thursday afternoon and had last been seen leaving her home that morning in her green BMW sedan, police confirmed at the time.

News24
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/dna-confirms-burnt-out-body-is-that-of-missing-constantia-woman-20180302

schumi

Honorary Master

Constantia man weeps during first appearance for wife's murder

Cape Town – Neatly dressed in a blue checked shirt and red jersey, Rob Packham wept in the Wynberg Magistrate's Court where he appeared on charges of murdering his wife and defeating the ends of justice.

He is accused of the premeditated murder of his wife Gill and of destroying evidence relating to her death, following her disappearance on February 22.

Prosecutor Brynmor Benjamin said the State intended to oppose Packham's release on bail, fearing that evidence "might be lost" if he was released.

Magistrate Goolam Bawa denied defence attorney Ben Mathewson's request that Packham be held at Diep River police station.

He will be held at Pollsmoor until his next appearance on Friday, to determine the schedule of the offences of which he is accused.

Packham was arrested on Thursday – the same day his wife's remains were identified.

Gill's charred remains were found in the boot of a burnt-out vehicle at the Diep River train station two weeks ago and identified by means of forensic DNA comparison.

The 57-year-old accused who, according to his LinkedIn profile is a general manager at Twizza in Cape Town, was arrested at his Constantia home.

The couple's daughters, Nicola and Kerry Anne, both attended their father's first court appearance.

Gill, also 57, went missing on February 22.

She had been reported missing by a relative on the Thursday afternoon and had been last seen leaving her home that morning in her green BMW sedan, police said at the time.

The administrator had been on her way to Springfield Convent School in Wynberg, where she worked.

On the same day, the burnt-out BMW was found at the station. Her body was found in the boot after the fire was extinguished.

News24
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/constantia-man-weeps-during-first-appearance-for-wifes-murder-20180305

schumi

Honorary Master
Constantia murder: Blood found in home and car of victim's husband

Cape Town - Blood presumably belonging to murdered Constantia woman Gill Packham, was found in the home that she shared with her husband Rob Packham, who is now accused of her murder, the Wynberg Magistrate's Court has heard.

The blood was found in the garage as well as the en suite bathroom attached to the main bedroom. More was found on the door to the driver's side of the accused's car.

Packham made his first appearance in court on Monday. He is accused of her murder and defeating the ends of justice.

Prosecutor Brynmor Benjamin told the court that the accused had contacted a colleague to arrange an alibi, telling the person to claim that they had been in a meeting at 08:30 that morning, when he was meant to be at work.

His cellphone records, however, indicated that he had been in Constantia or Diep River at the time, Benjamin said.

Gill, a school administrator, was last seen the morning of February 22. The family was informed that, by 07:35, she had not yet reported for work.

According to the State, she was formally reported missing at 21:00. At 21:30, her car was found burning near Diep River police station.

DNA taken from her daughters confirmed that it was her body that had been found in the boot of the car, once the fire had been extinguished.

The State says it was a known fact that the Packhams were experiencing marital problems and that there was a cellphone message where Robert had told Gill he was “thinking of calling it a day”. @TeamNews24
— Tammy Petersen (@TammyPetersen87) March 5, 2018

Benjamin told the court that the accused was the last person with Gill.

Security cameras allegedly captured someone driving a car similar to Gill's on that day, which did not have any registration plates.

Benjamin said it was a known fact that the Packhams were experiencing marital problems and that he had sent his wife a cellphone message to say that he was "thinking of calling it a day".

It was clear that the accused had tried to destroy evidence, the prosecutor said, and police have still not located Gill's cellphone.

Police were also still looking for other evidence, Benjamin added.

It was clear that Robert Packham had tried to destroy evidence, the State argued, and police have still not located Gill’s cellphone. Police were also still looking for other evidence it would not elaborate on. @TeamNews24

Defence attorney Ben Mathewson argued that his client had given the police his cooperation and had not left the jurisdiction.

Footage of someone driving Gill's BMW was shown to the couple's children, who could not identify their father as the driver, he said.

The State also did not have a murder weapon, he pointed out, and there was no evidence that the blood found by the police's forensics team was Gill's.

He added that there was no proof that the accused had assaulted his wife and caused her death and no reasonable evidence for his arrest.

He also submitted that his client had been arrested without a warrant.

Mathewson said his client had driven around to look for his wife that day and searched in places that they frequented.

The accused, a general manager at cooldrink manufacturer Twizza, started to weep when Mathewson said that he wanted to support his children at their mother's funeral, which is expected to take place on Tuesday.

The State requested a seven-day postponement so that the schedule of the offences Packham is accused of could be determined.

Magistrate Goolam Bawa postponed the case to Friday.

The State requested a seven day remand as the defence was in dispute over the schedule of the offense. Magistrate Goolam Bawa postponed the matter to Friday to resolve this. Robert Packham to remain in custody. @TeamNews24

Bawa denied Mathewson's request that his client be held at Diep River police station ahead of his next appearance, saying that a police station was not a facility for an awaiting-trial prisoner.

He will be held at Pollsmoor Prison instead.

News24
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/constantia-murder-blood-found-in-home-and-car-of-victims-husband-20180305

Grant

Honorary Master
amazing how quickly life can change

one week you are enjoying a comfortable life in a "leafy" suburb - and the next you are sleeping on the floor of an overcrowded stinking prison cell with a lice infested blanket used by countless prisoners before you

airborne

Executive Member
amazing how quickly life can change

one week you are enjoying a comfortable life in a "leafy" suburb - and the next you are sleeping on the floor of an overcrowded stinking prison cell with a lice infested blanket used by countless prisoners before you
A dizzying drop, strange how people who commit crimes like this fail to consider the ramifications, I'll pop her off and then it'll all be rosy in my life, what a plan!!

Oops now I'm in pollsmoor, I wonder where I went wrong?!

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
A dizzying drop, strange how people who commit crimes like this fail to consider the ramifications, I'll pop her off and then it'll all be rosy in my life, what a plan!!
Will have to wait for the evidence to determine what really happened. If he really did want to divorce her then her attacking him, a struggle ensuing in which he accidentally kills her followed by his panicking is a completely plausible scenario. Of course regardless he'd still face charges for trying to cover it up instead of calling the police. I just hope that the premeditated murder charge is based on evidence and not trying to score political points.

If it was premeditated then the whole thing is extremely sloppy and he doesn't appear to have put much thought into his plan.

Batista

Executive Member
Shame and I saw that womens photo being shared on FB alot over the past weeks.

daveza

Honorary Master
and there was no evidence that the blood found by the police's forensics team was Gill's.
But I'd take a very large bet that it is.

Grant

Honorary Master
Robert Packham to appear in court over wife’s murder

A Constantia man accused of killing his wife will make another appearance in the Wynberg Magistrate's Court on Friday.

Robert Packham was arrested after his wife Gill Packham's charred body was found in the boot of her burnt-out car near the Diep River train station a few weeks ago.

Her spouse was apprehended at their Constantia home a week ago and faces charges of murder and defeating the ends of justice.

The murder case against Packham was remanded until Friday, pending a decision from the Director of Public Prosecutions on whether his actions were premeditated and so constitute a schedule 6 offence or a lesser schedule 5 offence.

So far, the court has heard that the accused contacted a colleague on the morning his wife was reported missing, asking his co-worker to lie about an alibi for him on that day.

The State has disclosed that blood was found in his car, the couple's garage and bathroom at their Constantia home.

A memorial service was held for the deceased earlier this week, a day after her spouse made his first court appearance.
http://ewn.co.za/2018/03/09/robert-packham-to-appear-in-court-over-wife-s-murder

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

What is weirder is how you go from being a model dad to a wife killer over night.

Grant

Honorary Master
Robin Packham granted R50,000 bail

- Alleged wife killer Robin Packham has been granted bail of R50,000.

He's accused of murdering his school administrator wife Gill and trying to cover the murder up by putting her body in a car and torching it.

Gill Packham was a staff member at upmarket girls’ school, Springfield Convent, in Cape Town's southern suburbs.

The court began the morning with a ruling allowing the media to record proceedings.

But photos of Rob may not be made public as the State still has to conduct an identity parade.

State advocate Susan Galloway has indicated that they’re not opposed to Packham’s release on bail but set several bail conditions.

These include the 57-year-old being placed under house arrest until the end of the month, having to report to the Diep River Police Station twice a week, handing over his passport and refraining from making contact with witnesses.

The matter has been postponed until 8 May for further investigation.
http://ewn.co.za/2018/03/09/robin-packham-granted-r50-000-bail

noxibox

Honorary Master
I think his picture has already appeared online, so it is a bit late.

schumi

Honorary Master
Court orders Constantia man accused of wife's murder to hand over his Audi to investigators

The Constantia man accused of murdering his wife will have to surrender his Audi Q5 to the police for investigation, the Wynberg Magistrate's Court heard on Tuesday.

Rob Packham was charged with murder and defeating the ends of justice after Gill Packham's charred remains were found in the boot of a burnt-out car at Diep River station, Cape Town in February.

Prosecutor Brynmor Benjamin said that investigators needed to obtain tyre imprints from the accused's motor vehicle.

Packham's lawyer Ben Mathewson told the court that his client was willing to cooperate with the police and would surrender his vehicle as soon as a date was set.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/court-orders-constantia-man-accused-of-wifes-murder-to-hand-over-his-audi-to-investigators-20180508

Excalibur

Expert Member
‘I crave raw primal sex’: Murder accused Packham’s e-mail to a friend

The inquiry into murder accused businessman Rob Packham’s breach of his bail conditions lifted the lid on his odd behaviour, which included pestering a friend for sex.
The revelation of his request for "raw primal sex" came when the Constantia, Cape Town, man sought to discredit a mutual friend of his and his former mistress.
The friend went to the police to report Packham’s illegal attempts to contact his former lover, who is a state witness.
Link.

daveza

Honorary Master
https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/neighbourhood-watch-volunteer-saw-packham-driving-wifes-car-court-hears-19861471 \

A Neighbourhood Watch volunteer told the Western Cape High Court on Wednesday that he saw Rob Packham driving his wife's car on the day of her disappearance on February 22, 2018.

Paul Gray, 76, told the court on day three of Packham's trial that shortly after leaving his home to start a patrol he noticed a stationary BMW sedan without number plates.

He said he found it strange that the licence plates on both the front and the back of the car were missing and radioed the control room as he thought it may be a stolen vehicle.

"I noticed a gentleman getting into the car on the driver's side. It was a white man wearing shorts... I tried to indicate to him that there was a problem with the vehicle."

He told the court that the man appeared to bang his fists repeatedly on the steering wheel.

"The driver was not looking directly at me. He looked like someone very anxious about something. He briefly looked at me and sped off."
This guy is so screwed.

Pleaded not guilty.... :rolleyes:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Pleading not guilty doesn't necessarily mean he's saying he's innocent. It simply means that the State will have to prove its case in court by bringing evidence.

It's not unknown in courts that even though an accused pleads guilty the presiding officer will enter a plea of not guilty. What this does is trigger a proper trial at which all the evidence is presented.

Daruk

Honorary Master

Never mind Pollsmoor, even if he wasn't caught, he would have to have a serious personality disorder to be able to sleep after that.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Never mind Pollsmoor, even if he wasn't caught, he would have to have a serious personality disorder to be able to sleep after that.
Well in some peoples head going from zero to killer all it takes is the following.

Husband: I am ****ing other women, I have had enough of our marriage. We must divorce.
Wife: *cries* Ok but I am taking half of what you got if you want to get a divorce.
Husband: *silence* walks to kitchen and pulls out butchers cleaver.
Wife: What are you doing ?
Husband: Divorcing you.