Do any ISP's still provide capped data accounts without line rental?

The_Imp_ZA

So I'm currently on an Openserve 40Mbit fibre line. In the past I used to have a backup 100GB Afrihost data account for the rare occurrence that Openserve shat the bed. Lately I'm been having issues with Openserve. At least once a week their DNS servers (I'm assuming) go to absolute ****, and it's impossible to actually load anything. The recent loadshedding has made this even worse. Even if I change DNS servers on my router, or in windows via adapter settings to Google DNS, Cloudfire or Open DNS, still hardly any sites actually successfully load.

If I switch over to my 1GB free Web Africa account, I have no issues. I'm confused. So I'm looking for a cheap capped data acount to use when this happens. I know afrihost used to have a 100GB for 100 bucks package, but they seem to no longer offer capped packages that can be used on fibre lines, Same with most of the ISP's I've looked at.

Unfortunately I also can't move as I'm stuck in a contract with them, but when that expires I'll definitely be considering moving cause ****, this is getting annoying.

KantSnyer

Expert Member
Try Axxess, I use the prepaid DSL data on my OpenServe fibre occasionally.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So I'm currently on an Openserve 40Mbit fibre line. In the past I used to have a backup 100GB Afrihost data account for the rare occurrence that Openserve shat the bed. Lately I'm been having issues with Openserve. At least once a week their DNS servers (I'm assuming) go to absolute ****, and it's impossible to actually load anything. The recent loadshedding has made this even worse. Even if I change DNS servers on my router, or in windows via adapter settings to Google DNS, Cloudfire or Open DNS, still hardly any sites actually successfully load.

If I switch over to my 1GB free Web Africa account, I have no issues. I'm confused. So I'm looking for a cheap capped data acount to use when this happens. I know afrihost used to have a 100GB for 100 bucks package, but they seem to no longer offer capped packages that can be used on fibre lines, Same with most of the ISP's I've looked at.

Unfortunately I also can't move as I'm stuck in a contract with them, but when that expires I'll definitely be considering moving cause ****, this is getting annoying.

If you still have a legacy 1GB free account from Afrihost you can upgrade that free package to a capped ADSL account.

Unfortunately we don't offer stand alone capped packages.

Arksun

Expert Member
I'm also looking for a backup capped package. Really sucks that you can't get this anymore.

The_Imp_ZA

If you still have a legacy 1GB free account from Afrihost you can upgrade that free package to a capped ADSL account.

Unfortunately we don't offer stand alone capped packages.
Unfortunately I had my 1GB free package rolled into my actual data account years ago. So unfortunately it doesn't exist anymore.

The_Imp_ZA

Hmm also not seeing on their page, may only be for existing customers. I can still top mine up :
View attachment 1176184
I ended up checking my free 1GB Web Africa account after Afrinatic mentioned it, and I was able to upgrade that to a 100GB capped account.

Yeah, seems like it's only for existing clients. I should have hoarded all those free 1GB accounts ISP's used to offer haha.

shadow_man

Executive Member
If it's a DNS issue, then why not, just not use their DNS...

Google DNS:

I don't understand why you're buying capped data from another provider, simply to avoid adjusting the DNS servers set in your router? Seems like an expensive exercise in futility.

BCR

Expert Member
If it's a DNS issue, then why not, just not use their DNS...

Google DNS:

I don't understand why you're buying capped data from another provider, simply to avoid adjusting the DNS servers set in your router? Seems like an expensive exercise in futility.

Because of this :

Even if I change DNS servers on my router, or in windows via adapter settings to Google DNS, Cloudfire or Open DNS, still hardly any sites actually successfully load.

shadow_man

Executive Member
Because of this :
Well then it's not likely DNS - is it...

dig domain.com @8.8.8.8 +short (Linux)
nslookup domain.com 8.8.8.8 (Linux / Windows)

If either of these lookups returns resolution (you're querying a domain via Google DNS here) - then it's not a DNS issue.

Leno

Expert Member
Cool Idea's offer stand alone accounts

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 12.01.36.png

Edit: didnt notice OP wanted a capped acc

Apogee

Expert Member

Yes.

Use them as backup when PPPoE session fails once in a while with regular ISP.