Do electric fences us a lot of electricity?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Well as the title states? I'm considering putting one up after hearing someone running through me yard and jumping over my walls last night

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Got off my lazy ass and did some googling :)

Apparently it only uses electricity when its "grounded" by someone/thing. Like when a mofo touches it. Its not the amperage causing the shock, but the voltage. I should have paid more attention in my science class :)

This suddenly because more viable. My wife's been nagging me for years now.

hellfire

Honorary Master
Got off my lazy ass and did some googling :)

Apparently it only uses electricity when its "grounded" by someone/thing. Like when a mofo touches it. Its not the amperage causing the shock, but the voltage. I should have paid more attention in my science class :)

This suddenly because more viable. My wife's been nagging me for years now.

Not true. An electric fence has an energiser plugged into your mains which sends pulses of a massive voltage at a very low current through the fence system. It definitely uses electricity all the time

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
The energizer is plugged into a battery, the battery is what you are charging...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
And the battery can last about 8 hours (if power goes off), similar to most alarm systems, so its not EXCESSIVE electricity use, but there is electricity use.

rorz0r

Executive Member
It's uses electricity but it's negligible. I wouldn't worry too much about electricity/maintenance costs. It's basically just the once off cost. I think you can probably count on maybe replacing an energizer after 5 years or so but the energizers for a normal sized home are under 2k.

iblade

It works out to about R20 per month, almost not enough to see a change on your bill. I put one in 3 months ago and kept an eye on the electric bill.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
OK thanks for the replies. Now to get some quotes.

edit: would this work if put on vibracrete? I have vibe at the back of my house

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Thanks, just thought because of the thickness of vibracrete it might not work. I have the problem that there are no houses built behind our row, ie, ours is the last row of houses. So if someone broke in and disappear over the vibe he's gone.

Some of you may remember my dog being poisoned (which I'm assuming based on the feedback from that thread), so I would rather be prepared than have my house broken into.

hellfire

Honorary Master
Thanks, just thought because of the thickness of vibracrete it might not work. I have the problem that there are no houses built behind our row, ie, ours is the last row of houses. So if someone broke in and disappear over the vibe he's gone.

Some of you may remember my dog being poisoned (which I'm assuming based on the feedback from that thread), so I would rather be prepared than have my house broken into.

Electric fencing is a deterrent and not a prevention. It can be bypassed quite easily.
Look at securing your sleeping quarters - burglar bars on all windows, gates on all external doors, internal gate separating sleeping quarters from rest of house.
Then get a decent alarm system installed, linked to a reputable armed response company.
Then get external beams put into your garden to notify you of intruders.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Are you worrying about the ability to put the fences supports onto the vibracrete? Just making sure.

eehelolfire is partly correct. Electric fencing is a deterrent but primarily also a perimeter alarm (since the siren should go off when there is a disturbance with the pulse sent through, if siren not attached and working its pretty useless), that can be linked to house alarm thus armed response if required.

One has to have multiple level of security to approach 100% effective since 100% is difficult and VERY costly to reach with one system. 3 different type system of 90% effectiveness would give you 99.9% effectiveness.

So start with the electric fence but you also need to physically secure (security door and bars) the house and/or at least the sleeping zone (remember smoke alarm/s to wake you in time if there is a fire).

Other effective systems are perimeter/outdoor sensors like roboguard or the ones that integrate with the house alarm. Windows and door alarms sensors. Dogs. Lighting. Armed response.

MyWorld

Executive Member
What I cannot understand is why people go through the trouble of installing a security system and never maintain it.

Take electric fences, they install it but never maintain it. Branches hanging onto and over wires, wires touching each other, broken wires. I know of people who keep the fence active but disabled the alarm since they are too cheap to get a repair man out to check the fence.

It is like computer security, only with a lot more at stake. If you do not maintain your security it is useless.

hellfire

Honorary Master
What I cannot understand is why people go through the trouble of installing a security system and never maintain it.

Take electric fences, they install it but never maintain it. Branches hanging onto and over wires, wires touching each other, broken wires. I know of people who keep the fence active but disabled the alarm since they are too cheap to get a repair man out to check the fence.

It is like computer security, only with a lot more at stake. If you do not maintain your security it is useless.

You'll often find that these kinds of people don't maintain plumbing, roofs, painting or any other aspect of household upkeep.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I have all the basic security essentials: Burglar bars/gates, alarm, armed response, etc. What I'm looking for is something to at least deter them from jumping over my back wall into my yard. I suspect that's how they poisoned my dog to start with

Last edited:

Grimspoon

Executive Member
I have all the basic security essentials: Burglar bars/gates, alarm, armed response, etc. What I'm looking for is something to at least deter them from jumping over my back wall into my yard. I suspect that's how they poisoned my dog to start with

Well then a fence is what you need. You can be sure that if a robber is standing in front of your house and your neighbor has a fence and you don't, he will definitely choose your wall to scale.

Also have it hooked up to your armed response so that even if you are not there, it will send a signal to the armed response.