Do I need an ICASA license if I am using off the shelf 2.4gh and 5gh products to supply internet to people

wallas123456789

Hi
I am the owner of a few low cost housing developments.
I would like to know if I can build a wireless bridge to tenants using of the shelf point to point products.
I will be sharing my internet connection with them and they will pay a small fee for this benefit.
Do I need to register as a WISP, or can I just carry on since I am using "license free frequencies"

Thank you in advance

HartsockZA

ECS and ECSN license if you apply to ICASA directly should be around 28k thereafter it's something like 7k per license to renew. Better just to try get an established business to help you with supply cause the cost is quite substantial.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If your signal crosses a road, you need a license.
It is crossing a property boundary. And there is an issue in a sectional title property development as well.

There are three aspects to licensing w.r.t. telecommunication services. Firstly a licence to provide telecommunication services, and secondly, a licence to make use of radio frequency spectrum.

Then, there is the issue relating to the on-selling of services provided by other licensed operators.

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
ECS and ECSN license if you apply to ICASA directly should be around 28k thereafter it's something like 7k per license to renew. Better just to try get an established business to help you with supply cause the cost is quite substantial.
Jikes. Might as well trench some ethernet/fiber...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If the services you are offering are all on your own property and don't cross any boundaries, just don't talk about it as you are using the ISM band frequencies. Just include the "charge" for using the Internet connection in a rental.
And don't post about it on a forum!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
If the area around your property doesn't have fiber then why bother? I can see and help possibly send me a pm with the details
Not OP, but read OP again.

Housing development sounds like it's all on one property. Sounds like he just wants to distribute internet among the houses. For that either Geoff's solution or ethernet to stay clear of the spectrum rule entirely imo.

If the services you are offering are all on your own property and don't cross any boundaries, just don't talk about it as you are using the ISM band frequencies. Just include the "charge" for using the Internet connection in a rental.
And don't post about it on a forum!

How do smaller businesses square this? e.g. Coffee shop charging you R100 for wifi access. It's essentially the same.

HartsockZA

Not OP, but read OP again.

Housing development sounds like it's all on one property. Sounds like he just wants to distribute internet among the houses. For that either Geoff's solution or ethernet to stay clear of the spectrum rule entirely imo.

How do smaller businesses square this? e.g. Coffee shop charging you R100 for wifi access. It's essentially the same.
You still need it, regardless. you'd need permission from the ISP to resell access on your property and then they'd want some form of an exempt license from ICASA. No need to re-read something @HavocXphere I am in the field OP should just ask for advice to deploy and run that way. Fiber is expensive and not worth it. wireless makes sense but like Geoff said just keep under the radar cause if ISP or ICASA get's word of it... Eish the fines are massive.

Happy to help OP but most ISP's are very stickler about double natting on one IP and when they see 200 IP connections going through your single connection they'd be compelled to investigate.

Hotspot locations work under the service providers license so if I sell a hotspot connection via fiber or wifi I am using my network to facilitate the transference of data so I make use of my licenses to sell over my network. Or some trash

Leno

Expert Member
You could try fly under the radar, what happens if one of your users does something illegal under the connection that is in your name?

Running unlicensed will offer you no protection

Leno

Expert Member
You still need it, regardless. you'd need permission from the ISP to resell access on your property and then they'd want some form of an exempt license from ICASA.

Elaborating on this you get ECS (for communication services) and ECNS (for communication networks) licenses.
If you operate with ethernet you still fall under ECNS

HartsockZA

You could try fly under the radar, what happens if one of your users does something illegal under the connection that is in your name?

Running unlicensed will offer you no protection
Exactly, the point I am driving.