Do not be mislead by WebAfrica (Fake Free Router Deal)

Random Hero

Expert Member
Hi everyone.

Thought I would make this post and hope that people would find it before signing up with deceptive WebAfrica.

I have been using Fiber from last year April.

At the end of this month I will be moving and thus had to cancel my subscription which included a free router.

Just a heads up.

If you cancel with WebAfrica you will be liable for a R999 Cancelation fee as well as have to pay:mad: R1050 for the "free" router that they promised in their advertising.

Very very deceptive. WebAfrica has to be the most deceptive ISP in the history of ISPs, maybe even ever...

Venomous

Honorary Master
Ask if you can return the router instead.

And the cancelation fee - did you sign a fixed term contract?

Random Hero

Expert Member
Ask if you can return the router instead.

And the cancelation fee - did you sign a fixed term contract?
I can return the router but the fact that they said its for free is the kicker.

No it is not fixed at all... which makes no sense.

Takkies

My advice is to never accept a router from an ISP as a part of a package. These routers are usually cheapy cr@ppy things. the Wi-Fi is always horrible and sometimes they cant even handle the bandwidth of your service. Go get yourself a decent router!

Venomous

Honorary Master
I can return the router but the fact that they said its for free is the kicker.

No it is not fixed at all... which makes no sense.
If I remeber correctly it was advertised as free-to-use.
At the time I said it would bite back at some point. I was told noways its free by everyone

I guess I was right.

WAslayer

Expert Member
If I remeber correctly it was advertised as free-to-use.
At the time I said it would bite back at some point. I was told noways its free by everyone

I guess I was right.
It is currently advertised as free-to-use(obviously had a lot of complaints for this same issue) but, if you go back to last year March, it is not.. Simply states free router.. That being said though, the little 'i' for more info right next to free router clearly states that you pay for the router upon cancellation or return it in it's original condition..

Always read the fine print.. If it looks too good to be true....

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
I'm struggling with my cheapie TP Link router (Fibre) that was supplied by my ISP - Especially on the WiFi side... it seems to get overloaded and then I have to reset it to get ti working again.

Any recommendations for a good router (that won't cost as much as the R5k Asus 6 Antenna one?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Webafrica’s “free router” advertising is misleading – ASA

There was a ruling on this issue a while ago.

Webafrica’s “free router” advertising is misleading – ASA

The Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa (ASA) has ruled on a complaint regarding Webafrica’s “free fibre-ready router” online marketing material.

A complaint filed against Webafrica’s advertising for its fibre offering stated that the “free fibre-ready router” claims were misleading.

Webafrica’s website states that fibre subscribers will receive a free fibre router worth R1,000 when they sign up for a fibre service.

However, the advertising material does not immediately clarify that customers must return the router if they cancel their fibre package, or otherwise pay for the router upon cancellation.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hi everyone.

Thought I would make this post and hope that people would find it before signing up with deceptive WebAfrica.

At the end of this month I will be moving and thus had to cancel my subscription which included a free router.

Just a heads up.

If you cancel with WebAfrica you will be liable for a R999 Cancelation fee as well as have to pay:mad: R1050 for the "free" router that they promised in their advertising.

Very very deceptive. WebAfrica has to be the most deceptive ISP in the history of ISPs, maybe even ever...
Read the fine print. It is very clear what the T's & C's are.

Calling WA deceptive, because you didn't do due diligence?

Stop blaming others for your mistakes...

WAslayer

Expert Member
I'm struggling with my cheapie TP Link router (Fibre) that was supplied by my ISP - Especially on the WiFi side... it seems to get overloaded and then I have to reset it to get ti working again.

Any recommendations for a good router (that won't cost as much as the R5k Asus 6 Antenna one?
If you are sure that it's purely WiFi that's resulting in the issue, then I suggest using a WiFi access point..

Get a ubiquiti unifi AC lite or if you have a larger home, get the same one but the long range version.. One cable from the router to the access point and you will be good to go..

These are very good access points and not a boatload of money either..

Nardeth

Hi everyone.

this is why i buy A Huawei B315 from Gumtree and then i can change SIM Cards ;)

My advice is to never accept a router from an ISP as a part of a package. These routers are usually cheapy cr@ppy things. the Wi-Fi is always horrible and sometimes they cant even handle the bandwidth of your service. Go get yourself a decent router!
RSAWEB don't give crap routers...

C4Cat

Executive Member
What kind of router do they provide?
I got a TP-Link WR840N for free from RSAWeb (no idea if it's crap or not, it's been perfectly fine for my usage).
Also, you have to pay for it if you cancel your contract within a year of getting the router, after a year it's yours, irrespective

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I got a TP-Link WR840N for free from RSAWeb (no idea if it's crap or not, it's been perfectly fine for my usage).
Also, you have to pay for it if you cancel your contract within a year of getting the router, after a year it's yours, irrespective
That thing is only worth R350. That's not to say it's crap, but it certainly isn't worth fighting over if a customer cancels.

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
If you are sure that it's purely WiFi that's resulting in the issue, then I suggest using a WiFi access point..

Get a ubiquiti unifi AC lite or if you have a larger home, get the same one but the long range version.. One cable from the router to the access point and you will be good to go..

These are very good access points and not a boatload of money either..
It seems that the WiFi get's congested or overloaded apparently. So I have the TV, three phones on the WiFi and maybe a laptop (but that is very infrequent).

It will then just completely drop the WiFi and I have to reboot. I've fiddled with the channels to see if a non-congested one would be better but it hasn't helped much. It's not signal strength at all (we live in a Flat that is maybe 10 / 15M between the router and the bedroom (down a passage) for WiFi access to the TV... I will keep looking for something that has a bit more oomph maybe - Thanks for the tip on Ubiquity products, I'll check it out

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hi everyone.

Just a heads up.

It's the same as the "free" phone when you sign a contract, it's not free and generally the cost is paid off. This is in the contract, well it's in it for Mweb anyway

lestoran

This.

Had endless problems with so called 'free' routers. Replacing one cheapie with another was just replacing one set of problems with another. And they only last a year or 2.

Since I bought a proper router 3 years ago I have not had a single problem! Its a TP Link Archer C9 but there are many good high-end routers to choose from.