DO NOT Buy Samsung 189 cm (75") Smart QLED TV - Q60T

epah

Expert Member
When I bought my HiSense TV I did a lot of research.
Before I bought it I wanted to go Samsung because that is what I had up until that point.

I didn't even know Samsung didn't support Dolby Vision, what swung me into the HiSense space was the quality 65" TV you could get at R12k.
Samsung was pretty far away from that in terms of price.

Samsung isn't really cheaper, so dropping Dolby Vision doesn't seem to net the customer anything.
Guess they could up their profit margins a bit by not including Dolby Vision because they are the lone hold-out against Dolby Vision on the principle of not paying licensing fees.
All I can say is, in the AV space, you want to support as many standards as you can.
That way the user doesn't have to worry when they buy something or subscribe to something.
For example with audio, I don't have to worry if my receiver can decode DD, DD+, DTS, etc. it just works.

I don't want to sh#t all over their TVs, I've owned one myself it is a great brand, but yeah this particular choice isn't IMO to the benefit of their customers, that is for sure.
Well the TU7000 was my very frist TV so i hadnt done any research before buying, i basically bought it coz it was had 4K and thats all i knew, However after buying it i had a bit more interest in TVs and started doing research, Thats when i decided to get the Hisense u8qf, the price was too good and the specs were great too. i am loving it so far, so much pop compared to the Tu7000, the hisense has great sound also, sometimes the sound comes from different corners of the tv and it freaks me out coz it feels like everything is actually happening around me.

i definitely wouldnt buy another samsung, The next step for me is OLed, but thats probably in aa few years time.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm not saying that I don't want Dolby Vision in my Samsung - of course I want it, but I'm saying :

1. A poorly implemented Dolby Vision system versus a decent HDR10 system is going to have the HDR10 being the better format
  2. A Dolby Vision logo doesn't automatically mean that your set is better than any other non-Dolby Vision set
  3. The differences between the formats aren't nearly as large as people believe

I pitted the QN90A against the best OLED TV I've ever reviewed, the LG G1, and the brightest TV I've ever measured, the Vizio PQX-H1. Overall I liked the LG a bit better than the Samsung -- it's plenty-bright itself, and its perfect black levels, superior mixed-scene contrast and better off-angle viewing won by a nose -- but the QN90A looked better in some scenes, particularly bright HDR

It lacks the Dolby Vision HDR support found on most competitors' HDR TVs. I've seen no evidence that one HDR format is inherently "better" than the other, so I definitely don't consider the lack of Dolby Vision a deal-breaker on this TV -- it performs like a champ without that format.

If the Q90A is only marginally behind the best OLED ever tested - do you feel that the Q90A could actually be a bit better than your Hisense, even without the Dolby Vision ?

Gnome

Executive Member
Obviously, not enough - especially as you had no idea they didn't do Dolby Vision ....

OK - do you really feel that you're R12,000 Hisense is going to be better than R40,000+ Q90x because it can support Dolby Vision and the Samsung does HDR10 ?
Why are you so defensive.
It's just my opinion.
If you want to buy a TV without Dolby Vision, go ahead.

I'm saying I wouldn't.
The info on Reddit says non Dolby Vision 4k HDR titles are super rare and that Samsung is the lone holdout.
Lots of guys saying that HDR10 does not match the quality of Dolby Vision.
If that is wrong and it is working for, you great.

But my advise to a new buyer is, don't buy a TV that is really expensive without Dolby Vision.
It isn't worth it limiting your content when you spend so much on a TV.
You want more options at a given price point, not fewer.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Why are you so defensive.
I'm not - you're pretty uninformed and I'm just educating you so you don't say the wrong things in front of others who are informed and you look like a fool.
  1. Netflix has tons of HDR10
  2. YouTube has tons of HDR10
  3. Amazon has tons of HDR10
  4. Dolby Vision issues are everywhere, even though it's a 'standard' - as I showed washed our colours etc
  5. The non-Dolby Vision Q90A is probably relative far ahead of many Dolby Vision sets, barring the really expensive
Lots of guys saying that HDR10 does not match the quality of Dolby Vision

If in all the reviews and comparisons between HDR10 and DV, they need to PAUSE a scene and point out to the user 'in this left hand corner, you'll see a bit more detail on the tree's ... while just here - this little spot - appears more textured on the DV version' .... you can rest assured the difference isn't a night day .

Much like THX was for audio, DV is a bit of a marketing hype on cheaper TVs

Dolby

Honorary Master
But my advise to a new buyer is, don't buy a TV that is really expensive without Dolby Vision.

Yup - so your advise is rather to not buy the Samsung Q90A because it doesn't have the Dolby Vision logo, and opt for a visually inferior TV That does have the logo because ... ? :unsure:

Gnome

Executive Member
Yup - so your advise is rather to not buy the Samsung Q90A because it doesn't have the Dolby Vision logo, and opt for a visually inferior TV That does have the logo because ... ? :unsure:
You get access to more content.
Simple as that.

Not all titles are available in both HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.
Dolby Vision is the most popular.

Dolby

Honorary Master
You get access to more content.
So I should buy the inferior Dolby Vision TV because I get more content ?
More content where and how ?

Not all titles are available in both HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.
Most are both
Dolby Vision is the most popular.

1. Unsurprisingly, HDR10 has the lead when it comes to content availability since it’s free.
  2. Further, more TVs support HDR10 than Dolby Vision
  3. The PS4/Pro and PS5 only support HDR10
  4. For now, HDR10 is a more cost-efficient and widespread format, while Dolby Vision is the premium option. However, with the introduction of HDR10+ and HDMI 2.1, dynamic metadata will be more accessible, so it remains to be seen whether Dolby Vision is going to be worth it.
Anyway - up until an hour ago you didn't even know Netflix or other streaming services offered HDR or knew nothing on it ...

So can you watch 4k HDR on Netflix and Prime without Dolby Vision?
If you could watch HDR on streaming service, is it also plug and play?
Sure if you only want to watch HDR from some obscure source then go for it.

Gnome

Executive Member
Guy just do what you want.

You are R40k down on a TV without Dolby Vision, nothing I say is going to make you happy.
Why does it matter anyway, you've already got the TV.
Your defensive tone and basically attacking me says it all, your opinion is biased.

The information is there for others to make up their own minds.

Does Dolby Vision give you access to more content?
According to a lot of sources, yes.
That is the short of it.

Now am I saying a R40k TV is less than a R12k TV. No.
That isn't even the argument.
If you have R40k to spend on a TV, there are a LOT of options.
You clearly chose the non Dolby option and that is great for you.

But at that price point I'd advise others to look at their options.
Dolby Vision isn't everything but it is a pretty big miss.

Last edited:

_kabal_

Expert Member
House and home has the LG CX 55 for 20k. Picked one up on Saturday
Great choice. Compared to what you pay for some of the new generation LCD (Q60/70, Nano86, etc), CX55 @ 20K is a no brainer. Maybe I am just biased :giggle:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Great choice. Compared to what you pay for some of the new generation LCD (Q60/70, Nano86, etc), CX55 @ 20K is a no brainer. Maybe I am just biased :giggle:
Well you could get a 65" Nano86 or Q70 for less.

So you have to take a hit in size as a trade off, but yeah that's a great TV - probably the best at that price if size is not a big factor...

Dolby

Honorary Master
Well you could get a 65" Nano86 or Q70 for less.

So you have to take a hit in size as a trade off, but yeah that's a great TV - probably the best at that price if size is not a big factor...
Where do get a 65" Q70 at under R20k?

Last edited:

LeftRightLeft

How are people finding these TV's for such low prices? Everywhere I look the prices are disgustingly hiked up.