Do not install Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update: University of Cape Town

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Thanks for the feedback on the "clickbait" headlines.

My suggestion:

- Start your own news website
- Write headlines which meet your stringent "non-clickbait" criteria
- Post in the forum about how no one visits your site or reads your articles, and how it is not commercially viable
- Come back and complain about how rubbish MyBroadband's headlines are
- Repeat process indefinitely

Venomous

Honorary Master
#quoted from article#
In a follow-up notice, UCT laid out its plan to update McAfee – saying that it expects to have a version compatible with the Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade by 24 August.

During September, UCT plans to migrate from its current McAfee software to Endpoint Protection.

Last edited:

Venomous

Honorary Master
#quoted#
In a follow-up notice, UCT laid out its plan to update McAfee – saying that it expects to have a version compatible with the Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade by 24 August.

During September, UCT plans to migrate from its current McAfee software to Endpoint Protection.
sooo
it seems they plan to update their McAfee to Eset.....

Grouter

Expert Member

My suggestion:

- Post in the forum about how no one visits your site or reads your articles, and how it is not commercially viable
+1 KL - the whiners need to go read the daily mail.

biometrics

Honorary Master

My suggestion:

Touchy

whatwhat

Executive Member

My suggestion:

Thanks for confirming that your headlines are for "commercial" reasons, i.e. clickbait.

As for this article, why not credit the UCT post from the 1st of August - https://www.facebook.com/icts.uct/posts/1172101172834264

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

My suggestion:

So basically you are admitting it's clickbait.

How about just using credible and self-respectable headlines.

Like a credible and respectable news source.

The way the world is going people actively AVOID websites because of clickbait, not the other way around.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So basically you are admitting it's clickbait.

How about just using credible and self-respectable headlines.

Like a credible and respectable news source.

The way the world is going people actively AVOID websites because of clickbait, not the other way around.
I've honestly stopped clicking on the majority of news links here until at least 5 or 6 ppl have responded on the thread without click a bit responses. Too many headlines are complete bull****

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Thanks for confirming that your headlines are for "commercial" reasons, i.e. clickbait.

As for this article, why not credit the UCT post from the 1st of August - https://www.facebook.com/icts.uct/posts/1172101172834264
Clickbait - Oxford dictionary definition:
"(On the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page."

By that definition, any headline ever written on an online news site is clickbait, as no news site sets out to write headlines that people do not want to click on.

As for "confirming" headlines are for "commercial reasons", you must be trolling me now.

We are a business, and have to make money to pay for staff and infrastructure - infrastructure that keeps this forum online.

All the services you receive from the site - the news pages, the forum - are free. We charge users nothing, and in return we ask for nothing.

If we write an article and give it a headline which you are unhappy with, you have not lost out financially and you maybe have spent two minutes to read it.

If you are trolling me, well done - you got me good. If you are being serious, you really need to take some time to think about what it takes to make a free news site viable.

We take pride in the content we produce and always make sure we deliver on our promises to readers. We value your input and knowledge, but we have to strike a balance that keeps all parties happy - and the lights on.

The above applies to all comments regarding clickbait.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Clickbait - Oxford dictionary definition:
"(On the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page."

By that definition, any headline ever written on an online news site is clickbait, as no news site sets out to write headlines that people do not want to click on.

As for "confirming" headlines are for "commercial reasons", you must be trolling me now.

We are a business, and have to make money to pay for staff and infrastructure - infrastructure that keeps this forum online.

All the services you receive from the site - the news pages, the forum - are free. We charge users nothing, and in return we ask for nothing.

If we write an article and give it a headline which you are unhappy with, you have not lost out financially and you maybe have spent two minutes to read it.

That sounds like a great deal to me.

If you are trolling me, well done - you got me good. If you are being serious, you really need to take some time to think about what it takes to make a free news site viable.

The above applies to all comments regarding clickbait.
Your headline has very little relation to the actual article. SO if not clickbait, then you're just a really lousy journalist.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Your headline has very little relation to the actual article. SO if not clickbait, then you're just a really lousy journalist.
I wouldn't necessarily say lousy journalist.. just can't come.up with an accurate headline for an article if his life depended on it.

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Headline: Do not install Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update: University of Cape Town

Quote from UCT: “If you have Windows 10 installed, please DO NOT install the Windows 10 Anniversary update,” said UCT.

Please elaborate on your statement, based on the above.

Headline: Do not install Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update: University of Cape Town

Quote from UCT: “If you have Windows 10 installed, please DO NOT install the Windows 10 Anniversary update,” said UCT.

Is it not all reliant on whether McAfee is installed?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Except you are missing the pertinent nit in relation to mcaffee thus making it bullshyte click bait nonsense because UCT never said what you claim they didm

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Except you are missing the pertinent nit in relation to mcaffee thus making it bullshyte click bait nonsense because UCT never said what you claim they didm
They didn't?

DO NOT install Windows 10 anniversary update

If you have Windows 10 installed, please DO NOT install the Windows 10 Anniversary update, which is likely to be released tomorrow (2 August). This applies to work and home installations of Windows 10.
McAfee has released a statement that the anti-virus application will not work correctly with this upgrade. The roll-back to a previous version of McAfee is very difficult and we want to avoid this at all costs.

For more technical information
Read this article on the McAfee website.
http://www.icts.uct.ac.za/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7937