Do not park on Level 2 at OR Tambo

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Lol 3 hours at Heathrow terminal 5 short stay parking while the airline tries to get the luggage out the plane and fails. £20.

geezer

Expert Member

killerbyte

Expert Member
OR Tambo charge R60 per hour on Level 2.

I havent got time to get details right now, but apparently the signs aren't clear and one traveller paid ZAR6000 for parking her car there for 5 days and 4 nights.
Sounds like she didnt check before hand. The information is easily available on their website, I should know I consulted it before I flew down to CT in Nov. I have little sympathy for people who know that the airport parking is a rip off and don't do their research beforehand. Ignorance is not an excuse when information is readily available at your finger tips.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Sounds like she didnt check before hand. The information is easily available on their website, I should know I consulted it before I flew down to CT in Nov. I have little sympathy for people who know that the airport parking is a rip off and don't do their research beforehand. Ignorance is not an excuse when information is readily available at your finger tips.
And she picked the priciest parkade of the lot!

killerbyte

Expert Member

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
We paid R800 for 4 days and 2 nights in the normal parking. It's worth it to have your own ride after time away.
Where was the car during the missing night?

Anyway if you're going to be away for more than a day, it's best to just use the long term parking at something like R50 per day.

That rate may have gone up since I've been using Avis point to point for a while (eBucks), but it should still work out way cheaper than the normal parking...

Chunk20

Expert Member
That's just swapping the airport parking for the train parking, and now you've added an extra leg to your journey...

Still cheaper and easier no need to find a parking it goes straight into the airport.

No chance of parking in the wrong place and get charged this ridiculous price.

maumau

Honorary Master
It's only Level 2 and they did change the pricing.

The woman said they hadn't travelled since prior to lockdown in 2019 and this time they did what they'd done in the past which was to park on Level 2. She said it hadn't been that expensive in the past.

William Foster

Expert Member
Where was the car during the missing night?

Anyway if you're going to be away for more than a day, it's best to just use the long term parking at something like R50 per day.

That rate may have gone up since I've been using Avis point to point for a while (eBucks), but it should still work out way cheaper than the normal parking...
Correction. 4 days and 3 nights. The rates are freely available online using a variety of browsers. R95/somethingorother, maybe...

Speedster

Honorary Master
It's only Level 2 and they did change the pricing.

The woman said they hadn't travelled since prior to lockdown in 2019 and this time they did what they'd done in the past which was to park on Level 2. She said it hadn't been that expensive in the past.
There's one spot pretty close to the terminals which is marked as the drop off parking, and that's where they charge the crazy prices. She clearly parked there.

airborne

Honorary Master
There are long term parking solutions that charge R60 per day.... they pick up your car and return it fully valleted.
And a few thousand extra Kms on the clock and if you are unlucky a few extra dents.

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
They said rules is rules, pointed to the signs and made her pay. Other people who have also been caught phoned in to the show with Wendy Knowler this afternoon on 702. Apparently there's a sign at the entrance which is "misleading" at worst and "confusing" at best.

Staff refused to give this particular lady the phone number to "escalate" until she had paid. She phoned and ACSA said rates are on their website and the onus is on travellers to check.
ACSA staff are total kunts, I am convinced that they restrict their recruitment program to EFF cadres only.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Flew to CT from OT parked on level 2
At 04:50 paid R690 in the early afternoon on my return.

Level 3 is much cheaper and park there since.

Just like everything the cadres do is deceiving and not clear.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
I make dead sure I'm in long term parking if I leave my car there. And yes that place is confusing as hell.

Today I just use a uber and if I need a car at my destination I just rent. Uber is cheaper than parking there for days on end.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
And a few thousand extra Kms on the clock and if you are unlucky a few extra dents.

Or a couple of speeding fines, or summonses to appear in court for reckless driving. Always amazes me how readily people just hand over the keys to their car to a complete stranger, or even friends and family, without thinking of the consequences. It's your name and ID number on the registration certificate, you're the one who's going to get into crap for anything anyone does in the car.