Puk

Hi mybroadband,

Like the subject, if you're thinking about ordering anything through FNB Connect (FNB Smart Devices) - think twice.

I ordered a Samsung 55" TV from them about a month ago. It arrived three days later than the date we had agreed up - meaning I ended up taking two days off of work to receive the TV (you have to have certain documents that any person can't just have to receive it in your place).

It arrived on a Friday afternoon at roughly 16:30. It took me and another person roughly half an hour to set up the TV and turn it on. Upon turning it on, there were black blotches on the right side of the screen. Upon closer inspection, we noticed a fine crack running from the top right frame toward the centre of the screen.

We promptly boxed it up again and I contacted FNB in two separate emails (explaining the situation). I couldn't get through to their call centre as it was already after hours (due to the courier arriving late).

Long story short - the TV stood here for another week until they came to pick it up. Then they took roughly a week to have it evaluated by a technician.

The technician said the TV has physical damage (duh) and I (as the client) am now liable for almost R 10 000.00 worth of a device I only switched on ONCE.

This despite having a witness and the paper trail of emails I sent. Above and beyond that, there are YouTube videos of the particular TV model (and size) I bought that come with broken screens in the box. Unlike FNB, the people in the video got their TV replaced by the retailer. Here's a link:

Capture.JPG

Does anyone have any advice? Or any idea how I can challenge this? Surely there must be some consumer protection mechanism I can trigger to keep them from forcing this on me?

Thanks in advance.

R4ziel

Expert Member
Ive ordered devices through them before and the service was excellent with no hassles at all, they delivered the wrong colour phone once and came to pick it up the same day and I had the correct phone at 9am the next morning, so not sure your single experience is enough to warn people to never ever use them at all

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
The technician is in no position to make such statements and claims.

Speak directly to FNB and take it from there.

Puk

Ive ordered devices through them before and the service was excellent with no hassles at all, they delivered the wrong colour phone once and came to pick it up the same day and I had the correct phone at 9am the next morning, so not sure your single experience is enough to warn people to never ever use them at all
I used them in the past, too. For about two phones, one tablet and a laptop. Each time, I had trouble with their delivery service (Digital Planet). I believe this is also their courier, who transported the TV on its side without any support, who damaged it. But FNB blames it on me. Under circumstances, you'll forgive me for warning people to at least be cautious. Unless you have close to R 10k to spend on something you don't own.

R4ziel

Expert Member
I used them in the past, too. For about two phones, one tablet and a laptop. Each time, I had trouble with their delivery service (Digital Planet). I believe this is also their courier, who transported the TV on its side without any support, who damaged it. But FNB blames it on me. Under circumstances, you'll forgive me for warning people to at least be cautious. Unless you have close to R 10k to spend on something you don't own.
Strange, I have always had excellent service from them, no issues and quick to deliver. Sucks that you had bad experiences though, which area are you in?

Puk

The technician is in no position to make such statements and claims.

Speak directly to FNB and take it from there.
Thanks, I have spoken to them and to FNB Connect. They just logged a complaint and I'll have to wait (who knows how long) again. In the meantime, I'm liable for R10k for something I never had the pleasure of experiencing.

Puk

Strange, I have always had excellent service from them, no issues and quick to deliver. Sucks that you had bad experiences though, which area are you in?
The previous devices were delivered in Pretoria, the TV was delivered to my home in Harties.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Thanks, I have spoken to them and to FNB Connect. They just logged a complaint and I'll have to wait (who knows how long) again. In the meantime, I'm liable for R10k for something I never had the pleasure of experiencing.
Why do you keep on saying that?

Did you have to fork out R10k on the spot as soon as they dropped off the TV?

Or are you paying something like R399 per month over 24 months?

We both know that you will get a new TV very soon.

Puk

Why do you keep on saying that?
Because FNB Connect said I'd have to pay that amount if I want to cancel. Of course I want to cancel - I'm not paying for something I don't have or something that's broken.

Did you have to fork out R10k on the spot as soon as they dropped off the TV?
You misunderstand. They are holding me liable for close to that amount because they say I DAMAGED THE TV (as opposed to factory / courier damage in which case I could cancel the contract and move on with my life).

Or are you paying something like R399 per month over 24 months?
Not if I can help it.

We both know that you will get a new TV very soon.
Really? That is NOT what FNB Connect is telling me.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Really? That is NOT what FNB Connect is telling me.
Stop contradicting yourself.

Below you stated that you have spoken to them and they have logged a complaint.

SO they have not told you that you are not getting a new TV.

You are just angry and impatient.

gamer16

Executive Member
Ok so the Smart Devices you speak of in the Title, what is it you have to say about them?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It sounds more like a courier problem than an FNB Connect problem, as much as they are going about this the wrong way.

The claim for damages should/can be made against the courier and really FNB should be the ones sorting that out though.

Someone in the eBucks thread also had a cracked TV arrive at their home and I recall it was no problem at all to get it swopped out, but that was of course a "cash" purchase and not contracted.

It sounds to me like you are fighting the contracts department instead of the delivery department.

Good luck.

gamer16

Executive Member
FNB Connect used to be called "FNB Smart Devices".
Ah so its a service you are referring to and not a series of devices. The title makes it sound as if digital securities are in question.

Puk

It sounds more like a courier problem than an FNB Connect problem, as much as they are going about this the wrong way.

The claim for damages should/can be made against the courier and really FNB should be the ones sorting that out though.

Someone in the eBucks thread also had a cracked TV arrive at their home and I recall it was no problem at all to get it swopped out, but that was of course a "cash" purchase and not contracted.

It sounds to me like you are fighting the contracts department instead of the delivery department.

Good luck.
Yes, in this instance I ordered an FNB Smart Device from FNB Connect - not through the eBucks shop. It is a contract problem, correct. But then again that is implied. They isolate the delivery department completely from consumers - I can only converse with the contracts department. And they phoned this morning with the news that their technician had concluded I had caused the damage and will have to pay for a product I never used.

This is my warning to other consumers. While the consumer act can protect you for pre-purchased products, it does not seem like you have real rights when it comes to contractual orders. It's entirely FNB's prerogative to decide who is guilty and who should pay, never mind the circumstances.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ah so its a service you are referring to and not a series of devices. The title makes it sound as if digital securities are in question.
It was pretty clear what he was referring to.

I suspect you are the only one confused about....and how you get to digital securities is beyond me.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes, in this instance I ordered an FNB Smart Device from FNB Connect - not through the eBucks shop. It is a contract problem, correct. But then again that is implied. They isolate the delivery department completely from consumers - I can only converse with the contracts department. And they phoned this morning with the news that their technician had concluded I had caused the damage and will have to pay for a product I never used.

This is my warning to other consumers. While the consumer act can protect you for pre-purchased products, it does not seem like you have real rights when it comes to contractual orders. It's entirely FNB's prerogative to decide who is guilty and who should pay, never mind the circumstances.
It may be worth chatting to your own insurance in this regard to possibly fight the fight for you.

But I would just take it up the ranks with FNB until I get resolution.

If it happened a week or 10 days after delivery sure they could argue it was you, but to have you report it literally the next day should make it pretty clear cut.

Tried Twitter?

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Hi mybroadband,

Like the subject, if you're thinking about ordering anything through FNB Connect (FNB Smart Devices) - think twice.

I ordered a Samsung 55" TV from them about a month ago. It arrived three days later than the date we had agreed up - meaning I ended up taking two days off of work to receive the TV (you have to have certain documents that any person can't just have to receive it in your place).

It arrived on a Friday afternoon at roughly 16:30. It took me and another person roughly half an hour to set up the TV and turn it on. Upon turning it on, there were black blotches on the right side of the screen. Upon closer inspection, we noticed a fine crack running from the top right frame toward the centre of the screen.

We promptly boxed it up again and I contacted FNB in two separate emails (explaining the situation). I couldn't get through to their call centre as it was already after hours (due to the courier arriving late).

Long story short - the TV stood here for another week until they came to pick it up. Then they took roughly a week to have it evaluated by a technician.

The technician said the TV has physical damage (duh) and I (as the client) am now liable for almost R 10 000.00 worth of a device I only switched on ONCE.

This despite having a witness and the paper trail of emails I sent. Above and beyond that, there are YouTube videos of the particular TV model (and size) I bought that come with broken screens in the box. Unlike FNB, the people in the video got their TV replaced by the retailer. Here's a link:

View attachment 676355

Does anyone have any advice? Or any idea how I can challenge this? Surely there must be some consumer protection mechanism I can trigger to keep them from forcing this on me?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks. This gives an insight into their support.

OutsiderZA

Expert Member
I've ordered a smart TV and a high spec laptops from them and I've had nothing but good service. I had an issue with the laptop which was sorted in 2 days.