Do we need the post office?

Does South Africa need a state owned post office?

• Yes

Votes: 81 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 264 73.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters

Bl4d3

No.
They are useless. Parcel arrived in SA on 22 August. Still not delivered.

Older shipment arrived in SA in March 2018, never delivered

ChasI

Does South Africa need a state owned post office?

Is postal delivery in these times obsolete or is there a genuine need for it?
The broad population still needs pensions, grants and similar services especially in rural areas where commercial services are not profitable.

krycor

Honorary Master
We do need the post office, just not the version we currently have.

This.. I think people who want the post office to be gone in it’s entity also believe gov shouldn’t exist.

Rather the way I see it.. the post office should exist.. but the idea of it yes.. not necessarily the entire business.

Ie building remains, hubs remain, they, gov sets costs, business can choose if they want to run various aspects of if.

Ie imagine your mail, your parcel, oh and food get delivered on the same day by a delivery person by Uber delivery, but your parcel went via takealot, letter via postnet and food pickup via Uber.. or you can get the parcel delivered to the parcel box at work.

Ie postal service is a need that’s not going away but how it gets done needs to be changed. You could also then open up delivery in a Uber like manner to multiple 3rd parties to fulfill without direct labour.

porchrat

Honorary Master
I'd say we could do with a functional post office. This mess in its current form though no.

erpdroid

Cannot trust the post office to send anything of value. 99% chance of theft....
Query them about your parcel and they will just point you to another queue, who will give you a form to complete, and never get back to you....

BBSA

Honorary Master
Only boomers would think they need the post office, the rest of us use electronic mail or a courier service.

karnuffel

Expert Member
I chose other, not for mail, but definitely for renewing my car's license. Sad state actually

DavieGeru

PosNet should replace all Post Office outlets. The Post Office still has got the mentality and mindset like the days where a letter was placed under a stone to be collected by the recipient. A sick pos duif (Postal dove, direct translation) is more reliable.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Yes. I can get my grant and relief payment there.

You better just keep on funding it.

rvZA

Honorary Master
This is a big NO. South Africa does not need a Post Office.

Grants should be made totally electronic and people, no matter where they are should open a normal bank account into which grants can be paid.

International post can already be done through EMS, Fedex, DHL and the likes. Local post can be done by private courier.

Any other service the post office offers are irrelevant and can be replaced by the private sector.

The Post Office, like any other SOE is a money hog and emptying the state coffers and ripping off the tax payer.

Veneficus

Bad one is do we need a post office
Yes

Do we need a post office that works like ours
No

Private sector post office could work

Anjeev

No, we don't need them. Private sector can do the same work much more effectively. I only use them to renew vehicle licence. That can easily be done by the private sector. They just sucking tax payers money.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Yes. We need those monthly SASSA super spreader events

Oh wait those failed too... unless we need to wait two weeks again

CackyZa

Yes, I did a tender for the PO a while ago (never got awarded, it went to a French company that had big purse), anyway a lot of rural SA relies on snail mail and they have a right to access mail.