Do you agree that the lockdown should have been extended?

Do you agree that the lockdown should have been extended?

• Yes

Votes: 117 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 80 40.6%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Do you agree that the coronavirus lockdown should have been extended by two more weeks?

Master Su

No.

Question: It seems that [coronavirus] may be the greatest question of the modern era around civil liberties, around the right to privacy. Yet no one's asking this question.

Edward Snowden: As authoritarianism spreads, as emergency laws proliferate, as we sacrifice our rights, we also sacrifice our capability to arrest the slide into a less liberal and less free world. Do you truly believe that when the first wave, this second wave, the 16th wave of the coronavirus is a long-forgotten memory, that these capabilities will not be kept? That these datasets will not be kept? No matter how it is being used, what’ is being built is the architecture of oppression.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Voted Yes. But really, it's a classic case of fcked if you do, fcked if you don't. The question to lock down and for how long is one that has been one pondered by many governments, all over the globe. Proverbial stuck between a rock and a hard place type scenario..

I don't see how SA can gamble, given our redundant public health care system and 8 million odd HIV+ population!

Arzy

Honorary Master
Yes.

The simple fact of the matter is that this lockdown isn't about the middle-class. Our testing thus far has been skewed by the high number of private tests on people who go just because they can afford it.

The lockdown is to try and curb the spread amongst the masses of poor we have living in townships. It may seem ineffective as these people are still moving around but their movement is relatively localized.

The problem SA faces is that if there is a major outbreak in a township like Alexandra or Tembisa our NHS simply won't be able to cope with it in any way what so ever.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Yes.

The simple fact of the matter is that this lockdown isn't about the middle-class. Our testing thus far has been skewed by the high number of private tests on people who go just because they can afford it.

The lockdown is to try and curb the spread amongst the masses of poor we have living in townships. It may seem ineffective as these people are still moving around but their movement is relatively localized.

The problem SA faces is that if there is a major outbreak in a township like Alexandra or Tembisa our NHS simply won't be able to cope with it in any way what so ever.

And that is going to happen, I have no doubts.

Arzy

Honorary Master
And that is going to happen, I have no doubts.
Sadly so. My feeling is also that the army is in place for when the chaos actually erupts in these places. Keep the people where they are and enforce some form of Marshall law to curb the protests.

lucifir

Expert Member
Then they're going to have to keep extending it for heaven knows how many months. A vaccine is not coming anytime soon.
apparently some trials are about to start in other countries but results look like 6 months away at least, so we looking at another 6 months of this. I don't see many people that can survive without 1 month salary, let alone 6 months. The looting is bound to start soon and the gov will be forced to end the lockdown or face mass riots

insect

The looting is bound to start soon
Its starting, I live in a small town and a lot more movement noticed over the last couple of nights.

Western Cape hit by 4 liquor store lootings in just 24 hours
I guess it comes down to what you fear more, the virus or the masses?

Starving people with nothing to lose in their thousands will be just as difficult to contain.

We don't have enough health care facilities to curb the spread, so we are buying them time, but do we have enough armed forces to curb riots and looting?

Squirrel should find a way to make the lockdown more sustainable, relax some of the restrictions to ease the pressure especially on the poor.

A total of 22 schools in Gauteng have been attacked so far during the national Covid-19 lockdown, with four torched in Soshanguve, Pretoria, in what the education department has described as being “suspected premeditated arson”.

Items such as computers, printers, heaters and school nutrition groceries were stolen. In another instance, 250 school chairs were stolen from a school in Vanderbijlpark.

Last edited:

grok

Honorary Master
Its starting, I live in a small town and a lot more movement noticed over the last couple of nights.

I guess it comes down to what you fear more, the virus or the masses?

Starving people with nothing to lose in their thousands will be just as difficult to contain.

We don't have enough health care facilities to curb the spread, so we are buying them time, but do we have enough armed forces to curb riots and looting?

Squirrel should find a way to make the lockdown more sustainable, relax some of the restrictions to ease the pressure especially on the poor.
People that loot liquor stores are not hungry. they want to get drunk..

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Its not about stopping the spread, its about slowing the spread so that health systems can cope.
Problem is we can only afford one major lockdown.

Should've adopted a wait and see approach. A 2 week lockdown from the Monday not the Friday, allow another 2 weeks of economic recovery and then another 2 weeks of lockdown if necessary.

This approach would've prevented panic buying which increased the infection risk ten fold.

AlanLouw

Hungry people will mob. Poor people get hungry. Poor people are in poor communities. Government has an excellent record of ineffective or no delivery ie no food parcels. Mob rule is inevitable. Mobs are dangerous - unruly. Uncontrollable mobs lead to anarchy. Not a good choice against no lockdown and freedon to work, earn a living and buy food