Do you allow users to use company email account to register for web services?

ominousbarkingdog

Up to now there haven't been any official restrictions at my org. I have two users out of about 70 who get spammed because their email addresses were compromised in breaches where they'd registered with their work accounts, but fortunately that's the worst of it.
It seems that the standard practice is to allow users private use of the account provided they don't register on suspicious site. The problem is, I don't have enough faith in the users to identify a suspicious site. I've been training them, but it's slow-going. And of course I can't prevent them form doing using their emails all over then internet, I can just dissuade them.

In your experience, should official policy prohibit the use of company email addresses for public web services?

Thanks

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
If they're wanna be idiots subscribe their email addresses to sites like gaySA.co.za and that sort of stuff
Spam the pooh out of their inboxes until they learn to not use a company email for private use

Bloody idiots

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I read a story on reddit (could be fake just for fake internet points) but a guy used a work email to sign up on a crypto exchange. Company closed down, work email gone, password forgotten

I wonder if that person ever got back into their account

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
In your experience, should official policy prohibit the use of company email addresses for public web services?

Thanks
Some services don’t allow free services on a custom domain email, tries to force paid/enterprise plans.

It isn’t a major issue, as long as access to email is secured.

ominousbarkingdog

What dumb fvck would use their work email for private stuff... What happens when you resign? :ROFL:
Dumb f describes 80% of the users here. I had one user insisting that she keeps access to her email, our private cloud, and network shares for three months after resigning.

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA