Do you enjoy dubbed and/or subbed movies and series?

Do you enjoy dubbed/subbed movies and series?

• I prefer dubbed soundtracks

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • I prefer subtitles

Votes: 59 48.0%
  • I'll happily watch either

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • I avoid both

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you enjoy watching dubbed/subbed movies and series? If so, would you rather listen to the original soundtrack and follow along with the subtitles, or do you prefer it when they dub over the original audio?

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Do you enjoy watching dubbed/subbed movies and series? If so, would you rather listen to the original soundtrack and follow along with the subtitles, or do you prefer it when they dub over the original audio?
Original language or gtfo. haha.

I'll do a dub run if its worth it; normally after I've watched it as intended by its creator, but for things like hellsing ultimate or kill la kill. If there is no visual and or audio to get lost into, then I don't bother.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Russians are the best at subbing films badly. It is great.

Only subbed films I watch are old Manga movies (purely because that is how I watched them the first time and it stuck)...

abzob

Honorary Master
What’s up with etv dubbing Turkish telenovelas in Afrikaans?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Problem with foreign language is that original with subs is best but requires full attention - no multi tasking. Dubbed just sounds bad.
Nowadays I enjoy the english stuff more when subbed - I pick up much more of the dialogue.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
That is bad!

I remember in Israel there was a Kung-Fu soap opera that was dubbed into Hebrew by people that clearly had no idea what the original script meant. Best show ever.

Kinda like BLR on youtube:

konfab

Honorary Master
Subtitles are extremely useful when you are trying to watch something whilst settling a crying baby.

Brian_G

Expert Member
What bugs me is when subs are placed in bad on-screen positions, either blocking important visuals or too far down to allow for cropping 2.35:1 cinema sized movies. (I refuse to be subjected to that size format on a TV.)

Seems to be a new "craze", DStv are launching some Turkish telenova ch. 123 on Monday, presumably in English.

MirageF1

Executive Member
If the original movie or documentary is of particular interest, and is nowhere to be found or unavailable in English, then I'll watch a dubbed or subtitled copy in its original language.

Subtitles are preferable though, nothing worse than a badly spoken dub.

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Problem with foreign language is that original with subs is best but requires full attention - no multi tasking. Dubbed just sounds bad.
Nowadays I enjoy the english stuff more when subbed - I pick up much more of the dialogue.
Not really, but yes. Why I do a dub re-run if its worth it and you can loose yourself in the scenery or animation. You can however look first then read, but you'd need to read a lot faster this way or the other way around. You can also train yourself to listen to what they are saying, more attentively (like the whole word, the whole sentences, the sounds that makes it up and the tone) than just hearing something, then read then look up and in this way you pickup a lot more. If your approach is just read n look then you are obviously missing out because you are not taking in anything except visual cues.

netstrider

Expert Member
I liked subbed if English is not available, the wifey not so much so usually end up watching English shows/movies only.