Do you enjoy dubbed and/or subbed movies and series?

Do you enjoy dubbed/subbed movies and series?

• I prefer dubbed soundtracks

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • I prefer subtitles

Votes: 59 48.0%
  • I'll happily watch either

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • I avoid both

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
as somebody who enjoyed the authentic and hardcore middle eastern series like

and

you have to read quickly and not be lazy,
and it helps if you speak one of the languages mentioned,
and pick up on the similarity between some of the languages.

I actually learn a little bit of their culture and how it relates to my own from these series.
Fauda is EXCEPTIONAL !!!

Will give Tehran is go as well. Tx for the headsup.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Fauda is EXCEPTIONAL !!!

Will give Tehran is go as well. Tx for the headsup.

fauda season 3 well worth a watch,

Tehran is like Fauda, only better,

again get Subtitles, as most of it is in Persian. (opensubtitles is recommended)
anybody who enjoyed Homeland, or Treadstone will enjoy these series,

all action, all the time.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Don't usually bother with subs and definitely not dubs but there have been some amazing shows and the odd movie that makes reading the subs worthwhile or you end up missing out.

Ivork

Expert Member
Dubbed can be OK.
Alf was much more funny in Afrikaans than the original English.

R13...

Honorary Master
Dubbed if animated. English soundtrack seems weird when it's obvious they're speaking a different language but I hate subs too

ronald911

Expert Member
Subs are great, regardless the language. I switch on subs even for english content, cause the dog might just bark or some stupid background noise then you at least still get to follow along.

I watch Detective Conan (Anime) in Japanese with my girlfriend.. She doesn't need the subs but it helps me.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Being somewhat deaf, a number of years ago I started watching telly with the sub-titles on. It has become a bit of a habit in the family irrespective of who is watching. For me it is essential.

We do watch the odd series that has been dubbed. Some are terrible to the point that they are quickly canned. We have seen really good dubbed series. Films, unfortunately, are usually poorly dubbed and I tend to avoid them.

R13...

Honorary Master
Has anyone noticed that you get two different versions of the story if you run subtitles on a subbed video?

I watch with subtitles on :D Even the english ones.
Yes but that's because the subs are made for the original language not the dub.

Mekon

Expert Member
I hated afrikaans dubbed tv series when I was a kid. There was a old mans voice used to dub old mans voices and I hated his voice. And the really stupid Afrikaans go to curse word was 'verflaks' or whatever. It was annoying.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
I hated afrikaans dubbed tv series when I was a kid. There was a old mans voice used to dub old mans voices and I hated his voice. And the really stupid Afrikaans go to curse word was 'verflaks' or whatever. It was annoying.
Radio2000

Mirai

Watch in voice over too, yes that exists. It doesn't matter. If the series is a work of art, watching original is better. If it's just a good intriguing show, it doesn't matter.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Depends on the material. The visual aspect is vitally important. As is the overall sound design. Dubbing on a modern production where they have full access to the original audio shouldn't tamper with the sound design in any way other than changing the dialogue audio. Slower moving films where there is plenty of time to take in the visual aspect I'd lean towards going with subtitles. Action films are best watched with dubbing.

Also strictly speaking subtitles mar the visual image, so if you're a real purist you'd watch in the original language without subtitles.

There is a difference though between properly done dubbing using professional actors and the hack job that was the norm in the past. The worst offenders even had atrocious subtitles.

And to throw a spanner in the works there was a time when in some countries they routinely added all the dialogue audio only after the filming, so that even the original language was not quite synchronised with the lip movements on the screen.