Do you have a generator or battery bank at home to guard against load-shedding?

Do you have backup measures set up to safeguard against load-shedding?

• Yes

Votes: 50 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 49.5%

• Total voters

ThatGuy_ZA

Got a decent sized UPS to keep my ONT, router, AP's, Pi's, NAS and a few lights alive for 2-3 hours.

You know... the essentials...

ention
Yes I do.
Need to keep fish alive, for a start.
Just out of interest, what would the cost be? 20 x 12 volt batteries, plus chargers plus control gear. As I go away a lot for three months at a time, topping up acid might be a problem? I manage with cars, but then the battery usage is minimal when away. Solar panels? I have suitably orientated roofs, but do they need attention when away?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
ention
Just out of interest, what would the cost be? 20 x 12 volt batteries, plus chargers plus control gear. As I go away a lot for three months at a time, topping up acid might be a problem? I manage with cars, but then the battery usage is minimal when away. Solar panels? I have suitably orientated roofs, but do they need attention when away?
I use a generator that I bought when the 2008 loadshedding started.

I use a generator that I bought when the 2008 loadshedding started.
I think that would need a hands on approach that would not fit my lifestyle. I had one in Georgia and you had to go out on the balcony and hand start it. Then you had to fill it with petrol. You could cook or have the fridge on, not both! Noisy too.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
ention
I have wired up 10 x 12v batteries and what a nightmare, batteries in the middle of the bank would be lower than the ones on the outside and thus drain those.
Very frustrating for years until I figured out how to wire multiple batteries properly in parallel.
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
I went with Method 3 which entails every cable is exactly the same length and very happy now :thumbsup:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think that would need a hands on approach that would not fit my lifestyle. I had one in Georgia and you had to go out on the balcony and hand start it. Then you had to fill it with petrol. You could cook or have the fridge on, not both! Noisy too.
Then you want a nice silent diesel generator with an AMF panel. Quite a bit more expensive.
We cook with gas, so the generator happily does everything we need, except we can only run one heating appliance at once (eg, dishwasher, washing machine, tumbledryer).

Badprop_za

Expert Member
I have a petrol generator. Noisy as hell, but luckily not that close to the house. So it is bearable.

I only run it when needed which is mostly during the evenings for an hour or so.