Do you have a generator or battery bank at home to guard against load-shedding?

Do you have backup measures set up to safeguard against load-shedding?

• Yes

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 51.5%

• Total voters

maumau

Honorary Master
Not
I have a petrol generator. Noisy as hell, but luckily not that close to the house. So it is bearable.

I only run it when needed which is mostly during the evenings for an hour or so.
Not great for neighbours though. Can't imagine the noise if a few houses run generators.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
I have a petrol generator. Noisy as hell, but luckily not that close to the house. So it is bearable.

I only run it when needed which is mostly during the evenings for an hour or so.
I also have a lekker Honda generator that I use to use for Afrikaburn, now it just sits in my garage. I start it once a year to keep it going. Prefer solar energy. Quiet, clean

F
I have wired up 10 x 12v batteries and what a nightmare, batteries in the middle of the bank would be lower than the ones on the outside and thus drain those.
Very frustrating for years until I figured out how to wire multiple batteries properly in parallel.
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
I went with Method 3 which entails every cable is exactly the same length and very happy now :thumbsup:
Fascinating! Unlike in the UK over here I only have the fridge/freezer to worry about in absentia.
When living here we have a double garage door to contend with, but that can be managed manually, although heavy. I wondered about increasing the tension (it has springs round an axle) if only to reduce the load on the motor, as well as on me!
Then we have to get out of the complex, with its gate. It has a battery, but soon gives up.
Then there is washing/cooking. I put the shower on around 0600, so it is usually OK. I am NOT into cold showers! Sometimes we are without elec for one or even three days. We do have a small gel cooker for emergencies.

On balance we can live with keeping the fridge freezer going. The item at your post 7 might be best, but I haven't figured out Sweevo's post 8 yet. He may be too far away.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Anyone know what it would cost roughly for a generator capable of 2kw hooked up to the house? (incl generator)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I’ve got two generators. One 1kva for light use and a much larger 5.5 that we run for extended outages, or if the neighbors have been pissing me off.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
I feel lost. So I want something to power my PC's>

Do I buy this:
https://www.makro.co.za/diy/ellies-/br-1000w-ellies-1000w-pure-sinewave-inverter-304015EA

And then where and what batteries must I get?
Where do I get the cables to connect to the batteries?
Nice.
I use 2x105aH batteries to run my lounge. How much power does your PC consume? The more/bigger batteries the better as they won't run down as much and thus you will get more life cycles out of them.
Any hardware shop for cable, the fatter the better, get max girth that the inverter can take and keep length down to absolute minimum length that you need. Also remember when you buy battery clamps the positive and negative are different sizes, you dont see it immediately but when you scrutinise it you see positive and negative on a car battery is not the same size.
Do not use a lead acid car battery, it was not made to run dry, get a deep cycle or lead crystal, i love my lead crystals

marlin178

Expert Member
Geewiz also have a few options....
Also, Standby Systems sell bespoke systems but you're gonna pay quite a bit but their products are really good.

If I go for one of those Ellies modified sine wave units and then plug it into a smaller APC UPS (which is pure sine wave) to power just my router and ONT, will this work?

RedViking

Honorary Master
Nice.
I use 2x105aH batteries to run my lounge. How much power does your PC consume? The more/bigger batteries the better as they won't run down as much and thus you will get more life cycles out of them.
Any hardware shop for cable, the fatter the better, get max girth that the inverter can take and keep length down to absolute minimum length that you need. Also remember when you buy battery clamps the positive and negative are different sizes, you dont see it immediately but when you scrutinise it you see positive and negative on a car battery is not the same size.
Do not use a lead acid car battery, it was not made to run dry, get a deep cycle or lead crystal, i love my lead crystals
Excellent thanks!

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
Geewiz also have a few options....
Also, Standby Systems sell bespoke systems but you're gonna pay quite a bit but their products are really good.

If I go for one of those Ellies modified sine wave units and then plug it into a smaller APC UPS (which is pure sine wave) to power just my router and ONT, will this work?
Yup should be fine i think. My 2 APC UPS's are tough and have lasted many many years and eskom is dirty, goes down to 190 volts sometimes so a modified signal into APC should be good

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You only really need pure sine wave for the likes of electric motors etc.
Modified sine will work fine with most things, but some stuff like transformers will just buzz a bit when they run off it.

RedViking

Honorary Master

creeper

Expert Member
While everyone is busy proposing solutions. I need an UPS that can last 2 hours to run laptop, router, screen and printer for a home office the problem I having is that I can’t find one that is pure sine wave. All of them are modified sine. Any suggestions?

Asking for my wife.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
While everyone is busy proposing solutions. I need an UPS that can last 2 hours to run laptop, router, screen and printer for a home office the problem I having is that I can’t find one that is pure sine wave. All of them are modified sine. Any suggestions?

Asking for my wife.
Any APC UPS from 1000VA upwards should do the trick, i run my 55" telly, hifi, laptop, external screen, LED Desklamp, router and various USB devices off my APC that i modded to take 2x105aH batteries. If you find it doesn't last the 2hrs you need gut the insides and toss the batteries away.
With my experience my APC UPS's do get a little warm after load shedding and this is because the charge controller inside is staying on longer than normal as it is now recharging a higher capacity battery and therefore takes longer.
I have heard of other peoples stories of their UPS's blowing up as the charge controller got hot for a long time and therefore failed.
Most UPS's under 1000VA have 1 battery at 12v and most UPS's over 1000VA have 2 batteries at 24v. I think once you get to about 3000VA it then goes up to 48v or something like that.

spiff

Expert Member
do what I did.

get a +-600w ups (+-30min)

1000w inverter or bigger

12vdc car battery (the bigger the capacity the better)

connect ups to mains & pc / laptop as normal

when power goes off - connect inverter to 12vdc battery

unplug mains from ups

connect inverter to ups mains input

the power from the ups is good enough for your pc / laptop etc.

my 12vdc 105amp battery gives me +-4hrs and I run my tv lamp / CRT tv / media player.