Do you have a generator or battery bank at home to guard against load-shedding?

Do you have backup measures set up to safeguard against load-shedding?

• Yes

Votes: 131 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 102 43.8%

• Total voters

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
do what I did.

get a +-600w ups (+-30min)

1000w inverter or bigger

12vdc car battery (the bigger the capacity the better)

connect ups to mains & pc / laptop as normal

when power goes off - connect inverter to 12vdc battery

unplug mains from ups

connect inverter to ups mains input

the power from the ups is good enough for your pc / laptop etc.

my 12vdc 105amp battery gives me +-4hrs and I run my tv lamp / CRT tv / media player.
Nice :thumbsup:

creeper

Expert Member
Any APC UPS from 1000VA upwards should do the trick, i run my 55" telly, hifi, laptop, external screen, LED Desklamp, router and various USB devices off my APC that i modded to take 2x105aH batteries. If you find it doesn't last the 2hrs you need gut the insides and toss the batteries away.
With my experience my APC UPS's do get a little warm after load shedding and this is because the charge controller inside is staying on longer than normal as it is now recharging a higher capacity battery and therefore takes longer.
I have heard of other peoples stories of their UPS's blowing up as the charge controller got hot for a long time and therefore failed.
Most UPS's under 1000VA have 1 battery at 12v and most UPS's over 1000VA have 2 batteries at 24v. I think once you get to about 3000VA it then goes up to 48v or something like that.
Perfect. Thanks.

Trompie67

Expert Member
1 x 7,5KVA Gennie connected via a cross-over switch box.

As we are in Jozi I lose 20% of the output, so 6KVA is what I can realistically expect.

Carry on as per normal, just bloody noisy. Can use 2 plates on the stove + oven to make dinner, can run pool pump, can run 1 geyser at a time too. Plus have lights & music & internet. :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Got a decent sized UPS to keep my ONT, router, AP's, Pi's, NAS and a few lights alive for 2-3 hours.

You know... the essentials...
Which UPS?

I’m actually looking into this and wondering just how long/far a normalish UPS will go.

Stokstert

Executive Member
2000VA Inverter with Trolley Modified Sinewave with 2x100Ah batteries.
6KVA generator

POWERMASTER 2.5KVA 4 Stroke Gasoline Digital Inverter Generator, silent type.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Here in good old DA run CT, we have max 2.5 hours but usually only 2 hours.

I have a 1000W inverter and 1 battery. Keeps my 65" TV, media player, receiver and one corner standing room light going easily.

Don't need stuff for fridges, stoves or other lights at all. That's what my rechargeable camping lights are for...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
ention
Just out of interest, what would the cost be? 20 x 12 volt batteries, plus chargers plus control gear. As I go away a lot for three months at a time, topping up acid might be a problem? I manage with cars, but then the battery usage is minimal when away. Solar panels? I have suitably orientated roofs, but do they need attention when away?
:oops:

pezulu

Expert Member
6.5KVA generator connected via a cross-over switch.
We have bridged out the stove and geyser when switching over to generator, otherwise everything runs as per normal.

The generator is in the attached garage, so although noisy it is bearable.
The neighbours haven't complained in the 10 years we have had it, and regularly come over for coffee, tea or to charge something.