Do you have a generator or battery bank at home to guard against load-shedding?

Do you have backup measures set up to safeguard against load-shedding?

• Yes

Votes: 131 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 102 43.8%

• Total voters

thechamp

Honorary Master
do what I did.

get a +-600w ups (+-30min)

1000w inverter or bigger

12vdc car battery (the bigger the capacity the better)

connect ups to mains & pc / laptop as normal

when power goes off - connect inverter to 12vdc battery

unplug mains from ups

connect inverter to ups mains input

the power from the ups is good enough for your pc / laptop etc.

my 12vdc 105amp battery gives me +-4hrs and I run my tv lamp / CRT tv / media player.
You mean deep cycle battery? very important that we use the correct terminology.

dabbler

Expert Member
I have a generator that hasn't run for 2 years. A major carburettor overhaul will most probably be needed to get that running again

BBSA

Honorary Master
Yes, my new house is on gas and solar, completely off grid.

Script

Nope, looking at different options, but it is not cheap...

thechamp

Honorary Master
I have a generator that hasn't run for 2 years. A major carburettor overhaul will most probably be needed to get that running again
I have one that just cannot run no matter how much I crank it, I am a litle confused about the choke settings, what is worse is that it is not that old, I think I should dispose of it and get a proper key start one.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I have one that just cannot run no matter how much I crank it, I am a litle confused about the choke settings, what is worse is that it is not that old, I think I should dispose of it and get a proper key start one.
check fuel level, check fuel tap is open, choke to fully closed position, pull start, once it has run for 10-15 seconds, open choke all the way.

gertvanjoe

Humblebrag:I stay in a small town which gets its feed from the same line as the surrounding minds and thus don't get loadshed. The surrounding large towns all gets loadshed. Mwuhaha, Eskom loadshedding is boosting my property value

crawler

Anyone know where I can get like a steel bosal pipe to extend the exhaust. Must be flexible

Thx

PUP Backup

Nope, looking at different options, but it is not cheap...
See my offering (pic on the left)
This is specifically designed for power backup of your broadband routers (fibre or ADSL & Wi-Fi)
It's a low voltage unit (i.e. not an inverter UPS) so it's way more efficient (and less costly)
It will keep your system going for the whole day during a power outage.
Cost: R650 and will do the installation as well (Joburg area)
If you are interested I need to know which routers you are using..

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Two 1200VA UPS units, one for the router and one for my PC. Essentials covered.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Changed my vote. Now have a Mecer modified sine inverter. Keep me going for 4 hours. Will add more batteries with time and if landlord and body Corp allows, a solar panel or two.

CrazyBob

Here in good old DA run CT, we have max 2.5 hours but usually only 2 hours.

I have a 1000W inverter and 1 battery. Keeps my 65" TV, media player, receiver and one corner standing room light going easily.

Don't need stuff for fridges, stoves or other lights at all. That's what my rechargeable camping lights are for...
Ya’ll mention inverters and batteries, but what about keeping those batteries charged? I thought you needed a ‘smart’ charger as part of the system to keep the batteries topped up when you do have power... not so?

CrazyBob

I haven’t done it yet, but in my mind a typical DIY battery backup system would look something like this:

Outlet — charger — batteries — inverter — devices to be powered.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What did you pay for the UPSs (including batteries)
How much backup time does this provide?
The router can run for a whole load shed period of 2h30 and the computer tanks just under 2 hours. I gots the UPS for free because the batteries were dead. Bought new ones at Mantech and they were cheap. I think under R200 each.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Ya’ll mention inverters and batteries, but what about keeping those batteries charged? I thought you needed a ‘smart’ charger as part of the system to keep the batteries topped up when you do have power... not so?
I have a Ctek charger that trickle charges as well as charges the battery full between loadshedding.