Do you have a generator or battery bank at home to guard against load-shedding?

Do you have backup measures set up to safeguard against load-shedding?

• Yes

Votes: 131 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 102 43.8%

• Total voters

Terence1983

105Ah at 12V = 1.26 KWh.
Is it a deep cycle battery? If not, the usable capacity is probably 20% of that, 50 if it's deep cycle.
So best case 600Wh.
So your 100W load would deplete the battery in 6 hours - less if the inverter's overhead is not included in the 100W figure.
Thanks, I haven't bought anything as yet so just wondering if its possible or if I need to have the lights plugged in overnight rather. This is idea is more to save on electricity so I may get a solar panel or 2 to charge it during the day, maybe use 2 batteries instead.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks, I haven't bought anything as yet so just wondering if its possible or if I need to have the lights plugged in overnight rather. This is idea is more to save on electricity so I may get a solar panel or 2 to charge it during the day, maybe use 2 batteries instead.
To be honest, taking a 100w load off the grid is not going to save you much. 10 hours of running will cost you 1kwh/1 unit, so depending on what you pay it's a R1.50 to R2-ish saving per day.

Terence1983

Also true.. Cost over savings over the lifespan of the batteries wont be worthwhile, it will probably cost less to just have it on power permanently and this is mainly for the winter, summer is more than warm enough for the indoor veg garden.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Anyone know of a reliable installer for solar panels, inverter etc.
I bought a full DIY kit which arrived too late for me to install, as I was in South Africa for 1 month in December.

I have 36 solar panels, brackets, connectors and 2 x 5kva inverters - for a grid tied setup.
I know, overkill, but I have it.

Just need it installed - any sensible qoute would get accepted. Boksburg area. (I got a quote for R72K btw.)
I have an installation team in Gauteng.

Which inverter, panels, batteries, etc do you have?
Can you please PM me your phone, address, and full "shopping list" of items you have?

Let's ride

Honda Eu22i 2kva silent generator.

Easier and quicker. What do you do when you move house. Move all the solar?