Do you have a side business to generate extra income?

• Yes, it is doing well

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • No, my 9 - 5 requires too much of my time

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • No, I am satisfied without one

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I tried it but it did not work out

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I just invest my money

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • I am still working on getting it off the ground

Votes: 45 32.4%

• Total voters

MartinGB

MyBroadband Staff
Staff member
Company Rep

grok

Honorary Master
Yes, but poll needs option of still getting it off the ground..

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I was going to this year but booze ban has not been as strict as last year so it never took off the ground. I brewed around 400 litres of beer and am now still drinking it. I have over 50 empty beer cases in my lounge, all washed and clean. Guess I might as well just take them back to the bottle store and get my refund

rvZA

Executive Member
Yes, and it is doing extremely well. Have only been increasing since Covid lockdowns struck. You will not survive anywhere in the world these days if you do not have a side income. That is, if you are lucky enough to still have a main income source in the first place.

Thor

Honorary Master
side businss became my main income, started my own business just before covid. getting on for 2 years with 30 % growth PA for both years. super chuffed. bought myself a PC as a gift :p

What does the business do?

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Working on them:

* A bespoke software project I created two decades ago is being rewritten to be white-labelled. Release next year.

* Have another long term project that is currently in the planning stage as it's part of my retirement but can't do it now as my employment contract has a problem with it.

* A retail craft store is the third project I actually started planning this past weekend. Something I did 25 years ago and going to reboot it in 2-3 years time. Already identified the location and going to start it as a weekend project with my daughter.

The_MAC

Executive Member
I tried something 3 years ago (food manufacturing), the trial did well, was able to recover all my investment.

I just don't have the balls to take the leap.. Not sure how to manage my full-time work and the side hustle..

Anyone have any stories to share on how you managed to do the switch? This particular business venture requires full-time attention, so very little chance of doing it as a "hobby" on the side

Thor

Honorary Master
I tried something 3 years ago (food manufacturing), the trial did well, was able to recover all my investment.

I just don't have the balls to take the leap.. Not sure how to manage my full-time work and the side hustle..

Anyone have any stories to share on how you managed to do the switch? This particular business venture requires full-time attention, so very little chance of doing it as a "hobby" on the side

I'd love to know more, was it like farming?

eg2505

Honorary Master
when the opportunity come's calling, I will jump on it,
you need to have something that is BETTER than others out there, before you fully commit yourself.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I have one side-hustle that has been slowly growing since 2017. It will not replace my day job. I love doing it, but to take it to the next level, there needs to be a more cost-effective way to export the commodity (something that does not involve the SAPO). If we had a postal service that is reliable and efficient, this would take many local small businesses to the next level.

I am working on a second small business. Slow progress. I hope to start in 2-3 months from now.

nazmo

Expert Member
when the opportunity come's calling, I will jump on it,
you need to have something that is BETTER than others out there, before you fully commit yourself.

totally, its why I worked for 20yrs before doing this step. Im not a risk taker / entrepeneur by nature, so all the ducks had to be in a perfect row. Some people can just commit, fake it till you make it or have ridiculous levels of natural ability.