Do you have any interest in Black Friday this year?

Do you have any interest in Black Friday this year?

• Yes - I'm always on the lookout for a bargain.

Votes: 103 28.9%
  • No - there's nothing worth buying

Votes: 127 35.7%
  • No - I'm too broke to shop this year

Votes: 96 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 30 8.4%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Now that Black Friday seems to have evolved from a single chaotic day into a week's [or even a month's] worth of shopping 'deals' have you been holding out for something in particular?

Perhaps a new gaming console or new TV? Or are you hoping to get some/all of your holiday gift buying done at a discount? Will you be shopping online or at the shop?

Binary Bark

Forging
No, I'm not buying anything that's "R300" the entire year and then on "Black Friday special, so save! only R350"

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
Now that Black Friday seems to have evolved from a single chaotic day into a week's [or even a month's] worth of shopping 'deals' have you been holding out for something in particular?

Perhaps a new gaming console or new TV? Or are you hoping to get some/all of your holiday gift buying done at a discount? Will you be shopping online or at the shop?
Depends if they mark down the items I want. Did save about 2k last year on something...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I have never had an iotas interest in Black Friday and still don't, we don't have Thanksgiving so why only buy for/focus on Xmas after that day?

Opening specials, now that's another story, scored a then R8500 luggage trailer for R5000 that way in 2010.

Last edited:

Mekon

Expert Member
Never have had an interest and never will. South Africa is clueless about what black Friday is.

A friend who lives in 'merica
told me that is is really just retail stores, mostly furniture and electronic stores marking down old stock to below cost MASSIVE (in myBroadband speak) discounts to get rid of it so they can get in new stock for Christmas and black Friday isn't complete without total chaos and customers fighting.

eg2505

Honorary Master
people in survival mode still, nobody (except politicians) got any spare cash,
so actually BF a waste of energy, time and space.
nobody got an appetite for anything besides their own survival,
nobody that got retrenched is going to buy a TV/Playstation-5 or New car.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
people in survival mode still, nobody (except politicians) got any spare cash,

I reckon most software professionals are better off than they were before the lockdown started. In fact I reckon my friend who is in digital marketing is also better off. By far not the majority of people, but the guys with money still have money and companies are selling out PS5 consoles and the like on pre-orders.

EDIT:
Black Friday is one of the highlights of the year for me. As a developer, the digital deals on offer are insane value and save me thousands of dollars.

Case in point

FNfal

Executive Member
A few things i want and if the price is good i will buy them .
I know the normal prices of the goods i want and if they are not heavily discounted i will not buy them .

Last edited:

chrisc

Executive Member
Have not unpacked the "Russell Hobbs Breakfast Combo" I bought in 2018, so no more unwanted bargains, if in fact they are bargains