Do you like it when a waiter asks you “How is your food”?

Do you like it when a waiter asks you “How is your food”?

• Yes

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 61 66.3%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Do you appreciate it when a waiter or manager in a restaurant asks you “how is your food?” or “is everything fine” after you started to eat your meal?

If you have a choice, would you prefer that they come and ask you pro-actively, or rather wait for you to call them if there is a problem?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I would prefer it if they leave us alone after we receive our food. I find it uncomfortable when they ask us “how is your food?” – often twice with the waiter and manager, and think it is an outdated practice which can stop without any real problems.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If they don't ask and I thus can't complain then the waiter suffers R0 tip. If they ask, and I complain and whatever is rectified, or there was no issue to complain about, tipage as per normal.

KT-B

Honorary Master
They should just ask - Is everything to your liking - or Is there anything else I can get you. But they should time it so you haven't just put food in your mouth.

If they don't come back and ask - I get the feeling that they are too busy to bother with people they have already served. Nothing more irritating than a waiter that disappears and you need to hunt for them when you do need something. Even if they don't ask - they should be near enough for your to call them should you need them.

jezzad

I have been told that they ask you this as it allows you to raise any concerns about the meal and to ensure they get paid the set price.

As I understand it or have been told, you as the customer have the right to decide the price of your meal if it’s not up to scratch. If the list price for a steak is R200 and you decide it tastes like an old boot you could say it’s only worth R50 You complain to the waiter and when the bill arrives you only pay R50 when the bill arrives. This ends the sales process and your legal obligation.

When they ask you if everything is ok and you say “yes” you have technically agreed that all is good and you will pay the set price.

Like I said two people have told me this, I have not read it or tried the process out.

Interested to see if anyone else has heard the same.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I don't mind the question, it's just that they usually ask it mid chew so I continue slowly and make them wait for an answer.

That said they usually ask me to move my car while dining because it's blocking the drive-through.

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
If the food is kak, I'll complain without having to wait to be asked. So that is a stupid, unfounded reason for this amateurish practice.

I am a very good tipper and I tell the waiter that beforehand.
I also tell them they need to be attentive and available at a glance or a raised hand...otherwise they need to fuk-off from my table during the meal.

I always get exceptional service after this little chat and tip 20%.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Don't mind. It's probably part of good service and ensuring cust sat. K-TB makes a good point not asking specifically about the food.

What irks me intensely is having the plate whisked away within three femtoseconds of finishing. For heaven's sake, man - let me at least chew and swallow the last mouthful before taking the plate or bowl. And please ask or give a polite verbal cue; don't just silently reach into the circle and remove plates and glasses. I know some restaurant managers insist that waitrons remove plates within seconds of the cutlery being parked, so I don't blame the waitrons.

Do you appreciate it when a waiter or manager in a restaurant asks you “how is your food?” or “is everything fine” after you started to eat your meal?

If you have a choice, would you prefer that they come and ask you pro-actively, or rather wait for you to call them if there is a problem?
I often get the feeling that they are asking for the sake of it, rather than because they actually care.

I wonder if post 8 is the reason they ask?

It is not just a South African thing either: you get it in the UK too.

wizardofid

Expert Member
I would prefer it if they leave us alone after we receive our food. I find it uncomfortable when they ask us “how is your food?” – often twice with the waiter and manager, and think it is an outdated practice which can stop without any real problems.
I don't agree, it depends entirely where you are having the meal, having a steers burger, versus a proper sit down restaurant.Having made more money then most full time employed staff in the 1 year I waited tables.The rule of thumb is get drinks to them as quickly as possible, then they can view the menu at their leisure.

After having taken their order, regularly clean their table without being intrusive, ask once for refills, bring the meal, if a curry was ordered or a hot meal, it's often a good idea to ask, about refills again.Let them have at it, walk past the table, while serving other tables, monitor drinks and whether or not there is enough serviettes on the tablet, if some one order a bottle of wine, it's always polite to ask if you may serve them wine, always start with the head of the table and then serve the one side of the table and then the next, with two people, always start with the female before serving the gentleman, if it's red wine, let the gentleman test and confirm the wine is to his taste, after which you still serve the lady first and then the gentleman.

Half way through the meal, check once if every thing is fine with the meal, and if they require any thing else to kindly let me know, at this point you can clear the table, of any unused items, papers and empty glasses it's important to inform patrons of any delays with a meal if kitchen is busy, it's also good to inform before hand that certain meals require extra prep time.

Unless your patrons speak to you, you operate in silence, if a parton smiles you smile right back, additionally you entered an environment where social interaction is required and the norm, the trick is being there when needed and remaining in visual range.You go to a restaurant to be served a meal, interaction is required don't like it then cook at home, additionally restaurant would like to know whether your meal was served correctly and as requested this is why you ask half way through the meal, most often their aren't any problems.It's more annoying having to look around searching for your waiter because some thing is wrong, or if the table is entirely neglected.

Requesting whether or not a meal is up to your expectations is required by all restaurants, feedback is essential, whether or not you want to interact with your waiter is entirely up to you and can politely request at any time before the start of the meal that you would like to be left alone and will be called when needed.

Ultimately you have entered a social enviroment and it's you that needs to adjust to the enviroment not the restaurant nor the wait staff.

The_MAC

Expert Member
Whenever they ask, my wifes standard answer is "all good" - that irritates me, especially when they messed up on her meal. I then tell her, you can always complain, just do it politely, then there is nothing wrong. I think she gets the impression that I will go all crazy on them (even though I have never had an outburst in a restaurant over food being cold/wrong/ate etc.)