Do you listen to South African podcasts?

Do you listen to South African podcasts?

• Yes

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 98 77.8%

• Total voters

rietrot

Honorary Master
I Did listen to fatwallet and jse direct.

Other than those I don't know of any good ones

Colin62

Executive Member
I tried (unsuccessfully) a couple of times to find South African podcasts. If it’s just going to the usual “this place is kak” garbage, I’m not interested. Going by the quality of South African radio, I’m not really holding out any hope of a decent podcast.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Once you find something you really like you'll probably be hooked. There's so much though that it's tricky funding stuff if you just starting out.
I've 'tried' a few some years ago.
Couldn't get into it.
I don't even watch YouTube, use any social platform that's personally geared, except my FB profile which I hardly use.
I've never sent a voice note or had a video call.

Call it being shy or something else, but it makes me uncomfortable.

Conack

Expert Member
For me, "local" is mostly poor quality and outdated information.

We don't have the likes that can compete with people such as Sam Harris, Brett & Eric Weinstein, Joe Rogan, Rhonda Patrick, Matt Dillahunty, etc.
Why listen to local copycats if you have access to people on top of the game already.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
We don't have the likes that can compete with people such as Sam Harris, Brett & Eric Weinstein, Joe Rogan, Rhonda Patrick, Matt Dillahunty, etc.

I have nfi who any of them are... is Joe Rogan the one that does those youtube game reviews?

kang

CliffCentral, almost daily. I skip Thursdays due to the political theme.

saor

Honorary Master
For me, "local" is mostly poor quality and outdated information.

Why listen to local copycats if you have access to people on top of the game already.
Such a weird comment.

That's like saying what's the point in listening to local music because they can't compete with big international bands. Which would be silly. People listen to podcasts for many reasons, and sometimes it's just because you like the people and enjoy listening to them talk. Not every podcast is a podcast that requires people ''at the top of the game'' for it to be interesting.

saor

Honorary Master
Call it being shy or something else, but it makes me uncomfortable.
Listening to people talk about a topic you find interesting makes you uncomfortable? Or you meant sending a voice note?

Paul Bedford

Don't Shoot the Messenger - Daily Maverick
The Real Science of Sport Podcast - Professor Ross Tucker and Michael Finch
One Eyed Man - Mike Stopforth

Those are the regulars, plus a bunch of others that I listen to an episode here and there.

EADC

Executive Member
Such a weird comment.

That's like saying what's the point in listening to local music because they can't compete with big international bands. Which would be silly. People listen to podcasts for many reasons, and sometimes it's just because you like the people and enjoy listening to them talk. Not every podcast is a podcast that requires people ''at the top of the game'' for it to be interesting.

Its almost like they chose them based on popularity and not a specific topic or person.

Conack

Expert Member
I have nfi who any of them are... is Joe Rogan the one that does those youtube game reviews?

Should be content on Youtube from all of them, might be worth a look depending on your interests.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Listening to people talk about a topic you find interesting makes you uncomfortable? Or you meant sending a voice note?
I meant voice notes and face to face video.
Sorry about the confusion.

Conack

Expert Member
Its almost like they chose them based on popularity and not a specific topic or person.

Or maybe not at all and purely on merit?
Some of those folks aren't all that popular.

I'm still to hear of anyone on par with Sam Harris and Matt Dillahunty on their respective fields.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Don't listen to podcasts, don't have time, really. Have a few audiobooks that I have not managed to listen to.

A lot of podcasts are an hour or longer, which is just way to long. Few people can pack what they have to say, into 15 minutes, never mind 10 minutes, which is what I can handle.

Much the same for YouTube, it too long, even if I am interested, I give it a skip.

Then there is no software that is decent for listening, remembering where you stopped, and restarting - about the best is Audible ... , but I just listen mostly using VLC.