Do you listen to South African podcasts?

Do you listen to South African podcasts?

• Yes

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 98 77.8%

• Total voters

Conack

Expert Member
Having a podcast app on the phone makes way more sense as you can listen in the car, shower, on a run, etc with full attention.
Sitting at your desk you're far more likely to be preoccupied with what's staring you in the face and not absorb what you're listening to.

Podcast addict for Android is brilliant for that.

Reactions: "D"

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
In the car, I am driving, not listening - radio has not worked for the last 15 odd years ...

I listen to a lot of music, played via my laptop ... , via a decent USB audio interface, into my Hi-Fi.

If I had to add listening to podcasts to my phone, battery is not likely to last till end of day.

saor

Honorary Master
In the car, I am driving, not listening - radio has not worked for the last 15 odd years ...

I listen to a lot of music, played via my laptop ... , via a decent USB audio interface, into my Hi-Fi.

If I had to add listening to podcasts to my phone, battery is not likely to last till end of day.
I only listen on mobile but there are some desktop apps in addition to Spotify:
https://alternativeto.net/software/overcast/?platform=windows
https://www.microsoft.com/en-za/p/p...pcdbqx582bz?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Spotify. Along with literally hundreds of others.
For desktop there don't appear to be as many as I thought.

saor

Honorary Master
Like always, why this idea that the internet is tied to physical geography?
Because podcasts often reference stuff about the region they're from (ie. Aussie podcasts often reference Aussie culture). Podcasts aren't neutral objects on the internet.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
For desktop there don't appear to be as many as I thought.

Maybe I used some hyperbole, but I just checked there's 20+ in the Ubuntu Software centre. I don't know about Windows. I also mostly only use mobile, but I like the spotify app on my laptop so I can occasionally pick up where I left off on a mobile device.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Because podcasts often reference stuff about the region they're from (ie. Aussie podcasts often reference Aussie culture). Podcasts aren't neutral objects on the internet.
Sure, nothing is then I guess.

But more and more I find the narrow references to be gone, especially in the things I listen to.

RyanPCMR

Expert Member
I never listen to podcasts but even if I liked to listen to a podcast, I would steer clear of any SA stuff.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I think they want to gauge the quality of local content, and the support it gets ...
Poor and vokkol?

(although The Real Science of Sport pod I listen to is an SA one, you wouldn't know it apart from Ross and Mike's accents, which also aren't too pronounced anyway
What I mean is, the guys who do the pod just happen to be south africans, but it's a pod about the science in sport, not south african **** in south africa))