Do you own a self defense weapon?

OCP

Expert Member
I'm just wondering by going through all your replies, how many of you guys have been a victim of an assault or robbery or any such that you know what your reaction in such a situation would be like? Just my 2 cents that you need to test your reaction sometimes.
To add to @Kola_CT excellent reply - just because you train or have a firearm does not mean you will automatically win/survive an dangerous situation but can improve your chances anywhere between 1 and 100%.

A knife is a great tool for close quarters in the right hands - if you have not trained with a knife, rather don't carry as you will likely escalate a situation and end up on the receiving end of it.

A firearm is a ranged equalizing weapon that even someone who is immobile (elderly/in a wheelchair) or weak (like my late 49kg wife) could use against multiple aggressors. (which is most likely the case in SA context)

9mm is considered the minimum for self defense - with premium hollow point ammo (yes they are legal otherwise they would not be sold in gun shops)
Penetration depends heavily on clothing/etc. (eg. a thick denim jacket will not stop a round but can slow it down enough to cause little damage)

Then there is shot placement - a spine or brain shot could be instant disablement but in the heat of the moment getting even a few shots onto a target that is actively avoiding not getting shot whilst you are extremely stressed and full of adrenaline will be difficult for even the best marksman who is used to shoot at stationary paper targets.

Lastly - unless you hit spine/brain (which is highly unlikely) an aggressor goes down due to blood loss which explains why some get shot 10+ times and still run away/ continue their unlawful attack. Hence the reason handguns are most effective. Most 9mm medium frame handguns will have 15-19 rounds in a magazine (+1 if you carry loaded) and most importantly can be reloaded in 3-5 seconds if well trained allowing someone to put 20-60 rounds towards multiple targets in 1 minute or less.
Pepper guns can only do a fraction of this with much less reliability and virtually no stopping power.

Personally, have had to draw my firearm twice in 9 years of every day carry.

In the first instance we were in an underground garage offloading IT equipment when we got rushed by 5 guys. Fortunately I was behind the vehicle and was able to drawn in time which stopped their advance after which they decided to rather leave empty handed. (they were unarmed and we got lucky)

The second instance was when I was confronted with 2 uninvited guests both armed with knives in the middle of the night. They had broken through a window and had just climbed through into our lounge. If I had not been armed and able to persuade them to leave I do not now what would have happened to me, my 49kg wife or our then 3month old daughter. (I must admit that me standing in only my underwear was possible the main reason they left rather quickly and are probably still recovering from the psychological damage inflicted)

While some will say I should have shot them, I was able to diffuse the situation without loss of life which to me is the best possible outcome.
I have no desire to take a life - but will defend the ones I love with any tool at my disposal.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
To add to @Kola_CT excellent reply - just because you train or have a firearm does not mean you will automatically win/survive an dangerous situation but can improve your chances anywhere between 1 and 100%.

A knife is a great tool for close quarters in the right hands - if you have not trained with a knife, rather don't carry as you will likely escalate a situation and end up on the receiving end of it.

A firearm is a ranged equalizing weapon that even someone who is immobile (elderly/in a wheelchair) or weak (like my late 49kg wife) could use against multiple aggressors. (which is most likely the case in SA context)

9mm is considered the minimum for self defense - with premium hollow point ammo (yes they are legal otherwise they would not be sold in gun shops)
Penetration depends heavily on clothing/etc. (eg. a thick denim jacket will not stop a round but can slow it down enough to cause little damage)

Then there is shot placement - a spine or brain shot could be instant disablement but in the heat of the moment getting even a few shots onto a target that is actively avoiding not getting shot whilst you are extremely stressed and full of adrenaline will be difficult for even the best marksman who is used to shoot at stationary paper targets.

Lastly - unless you hit spine/brain (which is highly unlikely) an aggressor goes down due to blood loss which explains why some get shot 10+ times and still run away/ continue their unlawful attack. Hence the reason handguns are most effective. Most 9mm medium frame handguns will have 15-19 rounds in a magazine (+1 if you carry loaded) and most importantly can be reloaded in 3-5 seconds if well trained allowing someone to put 20-60 rounds towards multiple targets in 1 minute or less.
Pepper guns can only do a fraction of this with much less reliability and virtually no stopping power.

Personally, have had to draw my firearm twice in 9 years of every day carry.

In the first instance we were in an underground garage offloading IT equipment when we got rushed by 5 guys. Fortunately I was behind the vehicle and was able to drawn in time which stopped their advance after which they decided to rather leave empty handed. (they were unarmed and we got lucky)

The second instance was when I was confronted with 2 uninvited guests both armed with knives in the middle of the night. They had broken through a window and had just climbed through into our lounge. If I had not been armed and able to persuade them to leave I do not now what would have happened to me, my 49kg wife or our then 3month old daughter. (I must admit that me standing in only my underwear was possible the main reason they left rather quickly and are probably still recovering from the psychological damage inflicted)

While some will say I should have shot them, I was able to diffuse the situation without loss of life which to me is the best possible outcome.
I have no desire to take a life - but will defend the ones I love with any tool at my disposal.

Good post.

In real life there are too many variables to consider and be prepared for, so prepare for those you can.

Even then, you could end up fukked, fighting against people who have much less than you to lose.

I am, and my family too, as prepared as we can be.
We are armed, trained and practice regularly, and have early warning systems and situational awareness.

But... nobody can be aware and alert 100% of the time.
For those times, only training, practice and reality counts.

You may still lose the fight, but give yourself the best chance you can.

Reactions: OCP

profa

Honorary Master
I had an incident at my home a few months ago when I was left in a situation with intruders where I felt completely helpless.

Thankfully all turned out okay, but I decided to look into non lethal solutions so next time I have more than my dick in my hand. So my neighbour has a Byrna HD and recommend it to me. They are available without a license and cost between R4,500 to R5,000 depending on what package you buy.
No offense, but these "non-lethal" solutions will in all likelihood just piss off your attackers even more to the point where they would kill you out of spite. If your house is broken into with you in it, lethal force or none at all and pray to whomever you pray to they dont kill you.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Never seen these before but honestly, I own a handgun and this has more "stopping power" than a 9mm. So many stories of an assailant continuing an attack with several 9mm holes in them, this puts the person out of commission entirely for what looks like 20min or so AND no issues with the law. Winner, where can I get one!
How do you convince a guy breaking in to hold up a metal sheet angled towards his face?

profa

Honorary Master
Geez, I dunno man. I have seen several clips of guys running full-ball after taking two or three 9mm rounds. Depends where of course but still...
I guarantee you those same type will be less affected by a pepper or paint ball. ;) anyone who believes that these non-lethal weapons are as effective or more effective than a firearm I truly hope never realise their mistake inreality.

OCP

Expert Member
No offense, but these "non-lethal" solutions will in all likelihood just piss off your attackers even more to the point where they would kill you out of spite. If your house is broken into with you in it, lethal force or none at all and pray to whomever you pray to they dont kill you.

Especially if they are under the influence.

Guys on tik are remarkably unaware of pain.

Kola_CT

Expert Member

An atheist GFSA member will pray to God to send a man with a gun.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

No offence taken. But if having a Byrna ups my chances from 0 to 1 %, then it’s 1% more than I would have had without it.

As previously mentioned, I’d rather have a fighting chance with a pepper ball or 5 than standing holding my dick in my hand.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
Especially if they are under the influence.

Guys on tik are remarkably unaware of pain.

I took down a really high local with Sabre Red pepper spray a few years back, he went down like a sack of ****.
But... Glock was ready in case it did not work.

There is a time and place for non-lethal methods, but it is not when your own life is at stake, then you need to be prepared, willing and able to kill to save it.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I guarantee you those same type will be less affected by a pepper or paint ball. ;) anyone who believes that these non-lethal weapons are as effective or more effective than a firearm I truly hope never realise their mistake inreality.

Who said they had to be as effective of more effective than a firearm? Obviously not, but it is something rather than nothing. Sure, a firearm is 100% more preferable, but it’s not a dick measuring contest here. It’s a chance to escape a situation using a solution available.

profa

Honorary Master
Who said they had to be as effective of more effective than a firearm? Obviously not, but it is something rather than nothing. Sure, a firearm is 100% more preferable, but it’s not a dick measuring contest here. It’s a chance to escape a situation using a solution available.
Or a chance to make your attackers more angry. But believe what you want.

Kola_CT

Expert Member

You face an attacker equipped, willing, able and prepared to kill you...

We think ‘non lethal’ because we are not wired like that, we are not set up to kill.

Read my first sentence again, then the second one again.

It remains your choice.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Or a chance to make your attackers more angry. But believe what you want.

It’s not what I believe, it’s the option I have available. And I’ll take it rather than have no option at all.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
You face an attacker equipped, willing, able and prepared to kill you...

We think ‘non lethal’ because we are not wired like that, we are not set up to kill.

Read my first sentence again, then the second one again.

It remains your choice.

Sure. No argument from me. But I n the absence of a Glock I hope the first option works.

profa

Honorary Master
It’s not what I believe, it’s the option I have available. And I’ll take it rather than have no option at all.
I hear you. I do. But if you are serious about self defense in a home invasion or other life threatening situation, do it properly. Doing it half assed will get you killed. In my opinion you are better off with nothing and hoping the attackers take pity, than using a weapon that has zero chance of killing. I have seen thieves jump clean over a 2.2m devils fork fence with ease. Just because your pepper balls stop some random guy in a YouTube video, doesn't even remotely make it possible to stop a thief high on adrenaline and what else.

There was a story a few months back where a UFC light heavyweight title contender who went 5 rounds with the greatest UFC fighter in history, Jon Jones, had a home invasion with a single intruder half his size. He said it was the toughest fight of his life (this after his title fight with Jones). He hit the guy with everything he had and the guy wouldn't go down.

Kola_CT

Expert Member
There was a thing in Sea Point where a security guy took on a bunch of people with a PBG, solids etc.
He got fukked up properly.

Should be on youtube somewhere.

Anyway, make your choices, I see the OP is totally missing in action @Wysjoumuis ...

Nyt Ryda

There was a story a few months back where a UFC light heavyweight title contender who went 5 rounds with the greatest UFC fighter in history, Jon Jones, had a home invasion with a single intruder half his size. He said it was the toughest fight of his life (this after his title fight with Jones). He hit the guy with everything he had and the guy wouldn't go down.

I remember that. Anthony Smith. 1.93m and over 93kg (probably more since he wasn't cutting to make weight) with a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
The home invader was 21 year old Luke Haberman, high on something.

This is the property Luke tried to get into before going to Anthony's house.

profa

Honorary Master
I remember that. Anthony Smith. 1.93m and over 93kg (probably more since he wasn't cutting to make weight) with a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
The home invader was 21 year old Luke Haberman, high on something.

This is the property Luke tried to get into before going to Anthony's house.
Yip. Anthony walks around at around 100-110kg when not cutting weight for a fight. But he is ALWAYS in shape.