Do you own a self defense weapon?

ProfA

Honorary Master
No offence taken. But if having a Byrna ups my chances from 0 to 1 %, then it’s 1% more than I would have had without it.

As previously mentioned, I’d rather have a fighting chance with a pepper ball or 5 than standing holding my dick in my hand.
Thats the thing. It doesn't. It improves your chances of pissing off your attacker by 100%. If you take your self defense seriously, book a firearm training class tomorrow and start the long process NOW of obtaining a firearm for self defense. In fact, a knife i think is more effective than your non-lethal choice.

RanzB

Honorary Master
There was a story a few months back where a UFC light heavyweight title contender who went 5 rounds with the greatest UFC fighter in history, Jon Jones, had a home invasion with a single intruder half his size. He said it was the toughest fight of his life (this after his title fight with Jones). He hit the guy with everything he had and the guy wouldn't go down.

How do you mention that story, include Bones and not mention this:

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I guarantee you those same type will be less affected by a pepper or paint ball. ;) anyone who believes that these non-lethal weapons are as effective or more effective than a firearm I truly hope never realise their mistake inreality.

I think you may be right in some cases, i.e.: some nutter on PCP but a normal junkie prowling your yard... look, being unable to see and breathe are absolutes. It's not like a 9mm through and through the thigh and unless it hits an artery adrenaline might get you out of there. Cannot see, cannot breathe? You are not going anywhere fast.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I think you may be right in some cases, i.e.: some nutter on PCP but a normal junkie prowling your yard... look, being unable to see and breathe are absolutes. It's not like a 9mm through and through the thigh and unless it hits an artery adrenaline might get you out of there. Cannot see, cannot breathe? You are not going anywhere fast.
I hear you. If the only possible solution now for you is to get a gas pepperball gun, atleast it's not you trying to club the perp to death with your dick.
If the gas works and the fcker goes down, moer him with a cricket bat or golf club.

Captain Underpants

Expert Member
Don't underestimate what adrenaline and drugs can do. Attackers normally work in multiples. Your gas pistol will be useless. For proper home defence you need to firstly secure the perimeter, and create multiple redundant early warning systems. You need a side arm nearby in case these don't work, but for best home defence your weapon of choice should be a shotgun. Nothing scares the living **** out of an attacker like that. You point it, and shoot it. You wont need to worry about a 10mm slug going through your neighbours wall. If all you have is a side arm, you're not going to just let off one round. If you're trained you'd shoot off bursts of three or five and you'll have 15 chances to stop the threat. So, in short, for EDC, Glock 19 (unchambered first round - but one needs to practise drawing and racking as one motion), and for home a pump action of your choice.
And for a zombie apocalypse, nothing beats a decent vantage point and powerful rifle.
But get the pepper gun, they're good fun to play with. Shooting is fun.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I hear you. If the only possible solution now for you is to get a gas pepperball gun, atleast it's not you trying to club the perp to death with your dick.
If the gas works and the fcker goes down, moer him with a cricket bat or golf club.

I own a handgun I just don't think a 9mm has as much real-life stopping power as this gas 'em and blind 'em non-lethal solution does.
Unless you can shoot the bastard in the eye from 10 feet away I figure you might be better off incapacitating them pretty comprehensively with one of these doohickeys.

Captain Underpants

Expert Member
I own a handgun I just don't think a 9mm has as much real-life stopping power as this gas 'em and blind 'em non-lethal solution does.
Unless you can shoot the bastard in the eye from 10 feet away I figure you might be better off incapacitating them pretty comprehensively with one of these doohickeys.
Seriously? You think a pepperball beats 5 rounds of 9mm hollowpoint to the chest? Forget it. Also, the sound of that 9mm discharging is going to activate the scene and any accomplices will be running.

eg2505

Honorary Master
for somebody with no experience in firearm or self defense, whats better,
a taser, or a can of pepper spray?

eg2505

Honorary Master
a taser that shoots the spikes. you want distance. pepper spray is an issue with wind etc
are tasers that shoot the spikes even legal in SA?
dont you need a license for it?