Do you plan to open a Discovery Bank account?

Do you plan to open a Discovery Bank account?

• Yes

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 131 84.0%

• Total voters

Brenden_E

Expert Member
How are we creating a newly disadvantaged group? Giving one group a step up, does not equate to pulling another group back, prior to how many may interpret it. It's not me that I think has been brainwashed here...

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Just because a few select individuals have done well BEE is no longer necessary for the other 40 million people who haven't benefited to the same extent?

Go read up on white privilege and the entitlement complex of the post-apartheid white South African.
I suspect you haven't given the topic the necessary thought it deserves. So here goes.

Is the issue being black, or is the issue poverty? Rhetorical, I know. So now that is established, how on earth is giving Cyril's, Zuma et al family who is more privildged than 99% of white people access to shares a good thing?

Cause that's who's buying these things up. The black elite. People in poverty don't have money to go spend on shares, they can barely make ends meet.

So the solutions isn't giving away shares to black people (cause being black isn't the malady), it should be giving away shares to the impoverished.

C4Cat

Executive Member
I suspect you haven't given the topic the necessary thought it deserves. So here goes.

Is the issue being black, or is the issue poverty? Rhetorical, I know. So now that is established, how on earth is giving Cyril's, Zuma et al family who is more privildged than 99% of white people access to shares a good thing?

Cause that's who's buying these things up. The black elite. People in poverty don't have money to go spend on shares, they can barely make ends meet.

So the solutions isn't giving away shares to black people (cause being black isn't the malady), it should be giving away shares to the impoverished.
I suspect you haven't given the topic the necessary thought it deserves. So here goes

The issue is about restitution to disadvantaged black people, not simply poverty. It's not just about giving free stuff to poor people. You might remember this thing called apartheid, which left us a legacy of generations of black people who were kept in enforced poverty by the law. Yes?BEE is about restitution towards black people, and yes, while it's aimed at empowering people who are economically disadvantaged, it's not about just giving free stuff to poor people.

Brenden_E

Expert Member
I suspect you haven't given the topic the necessary thought it deserves. So here goes

The issue is about restitution to disadvantaged black people, not simply poverty. It's not just about giving free stuff to poor people. You might remember this thing called apartheid, which left us a legacy of generations of black people who were kept in enforced poverty by the law. Yes?BEE is about restitution towards black people, and yes, while it's aimed at empowering people who are economically disadvantaged, it's not about just giving free stuff to poor people.
BEE is not about empowering people who are disadvantaged. It's about making the rich richer. Cyril and co, the rich and connected, gets the lions share of BEE deals. Guess what, my domestic doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell to get a BEE contract. She needs it.

These black diamonds certainly don't need to buy another land-rover. You can't treat black as the disease, cause it's not. Poverty is. The rich blacks are abusing the system to get further ahead, while poor blacks are left in the lurch.

So yea, I've given it plenty of thought. Look how many super rich blacks we have, and how many millions still can't get out of the township. You can't argue with outcomes we can see ourselves in the real world.

Last edited:

C4Cat

Executive Member
BEE is not about empowering people who are disadvantaged. It's about making the rich richer. Cyril and co, the rich and connected, gets the lions share of BEE deals. Guess what, my domestic doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell to get a BEE contract. She needs it.

These black diamonds certainly don't need to buy another land-rover. You can't treat black as the disease, cause it's not. Poverty is. The rich blacks are abusing the system to get further ahead, while poor blacks are left in the lurch.

So yea, I've given it plenty of thought. Look how many super rich blacks we have, and how many millions still can't get out of the township. You can't argue with outcomes we can see ourselves in the real world.
Your domestic is quite entitled to open a bank account with discovery and benefit from the shares being given away.

Brenden_E

Expert Member
Your domestic is quite entitled to open a bank account with discovery and benefit from the shares being given away.
You only get shares based on how much you deposit. Who will be the beneficiaries here - the rich or poor blacks? I'm sure you are smart enough to figure it out.

Bernie

Expert Member
Nope, and not because of their share scheme, i am all banked out, have an account at all the major banks. Time to start getting rid of some of them and just stick with 1 or maybe 2.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

The vast majority of the poor are disadvantaged black people (or do you not concur?) and thus giving the poor some wealth, mostly benefits said disadvantaged black people.

Also the middle class and upper class "disadvantaged" black people really need more Economic Empowerment? They will be the banks customers. Discovery Bank is unlikely to be a value bank offering, so unlikely to have poor disadvantaged black people who need Economic Empowerment most as clients.

Lew Skannen

Yes. Also, white people need to stop feeling so personally attacked every time a company proactively drives black investment which is so necessary in our country.
Can we please get a 'F**k You', 'F**k Off' or 'Dislike' button on MyBB?

EliteOp

Can we please get a 'F**k You', 'F**k Off' or 'Dislike' button on MyBB?
Jip, he doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed, but a tool nonetheless...
Doesn't get that it's not about "proactively drives black investment ", I'm sure most poeple hoping for a better country for all is all for it, it's however about a company EXCLUDING a specific race and allowing benefits to others...

Last edited:

C4Cat

Executive Member
The vast majority of the poor are disadvantaged black people (or do you not concur?) and thus giving the poor some wealth, mostly benefits said disadvantaged black people.

Also the middle class and upper class "disadvantaged" black people really need more Economic Empowerment? They will be the banks customers. Discovery Bank is unlikely to be a value bank offering, so unlikely to have poor disadvantaged black people who need Economic Empowerment most as clients.
It's unlikely the already wealthy will benefit from this share distribution scheme since the whole point of discovery giving shares is so people who could not normally afford to buy them can be brought into the equities economy. Discovery has already said the shares will be distributed according to very specific parameters, being disadvantaged will be one of those parameters.

On another note, all the middle and upper class black people today were just as disadvantaged during apartheid as all other black people. Cyril and co (as Brenden_E calls them) didn't get expempted from apartheid laws. They are successful despite being disadvantaged and Cyril worked hard for his success, it wasn't just handed to him.

Brenden_E

Expert Member
On another note, all the middle and upper class black people today were just as disadvantaged during apartheid as all other black people. Cyril and co (as Brenden_E calls them) didn't get expempted from apartheid laws. They are successful despite being disadvantaged and Cyril worked hard for his success, it wasn't just handed to him.
You are okay with giving super rich people a further advantage above those with absolutely nothing (which may be black or white) because at one point in the past these super rich guys were disadvantaged. Holy hell dude, if you can't realize that this is some retarded reasoning there's no point to engage with you.

Mashaba was poor once. Let's make sure we give him more money and opportunities now, because once he worked out of the boot of the car. I feel like I travel to an alternate universe sometimes with the things that get said on these boards. People think like this, gosh...