Do you plan to open a Discovery Bank account?

Do you plan to open a Discovery Bank account?

• Yes

Votes: 44 19.9%
  • No

Votes: 177 80.1%

• Total voters

Daruk

Honorary Master
100% gym discounts, free apple watches, free running shoes every year, Kulula flight discounts, cashback for healthy food spending, sports goods discounts, weekly Vitality Active rewards (smoothies, shopping vouchers, etc.)

It all adds up.
Then ask yourself if you've changed your shopping habits to accommodate the handouts... And would you still shop for those items where you do if they were cheaper elsewhere...

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Then ask yourself if you've changed your shopping habits to accommodate the handouts... And would you still shop for those items where you do if they were cheaper elsewhere...

They're free, not cheaper. You can't beat that by changing shopping habits.

The flight discounts on its own are massive. Two return flights a year can get 100% discount and the rest about 40% discount (even more now with the Bank). If you fly often you will save a ton.

Last edited:

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Really? Cashback, discounts... Those are your own words. Perhaps the marketing is stronger on some than others.
100% discounts and cashbacks. If you want to argue you're wasting your time. Stop making a fool of yourself.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Not really 100% if you have to pay to get it?!
It's around R200pm for Vitality. You normally spend way more than that just to join a gym.

The cost is there probably for a selection effect. Only those who are willing to make some effort and get some rewards will pay. If Vitality was free then any Tom, Dick, Harry would be part of the book, even those who don't care about improving their health. So it wouldn't be as effective. Those who don't pay and don't care will go to other insurers/medical aids and make their books worse than Discovery's.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I should actually do that, Fed Health gives free entry to some running and cycling events - and those are very good events, despite the fact that as a non-member I have to pay to partake. The thing is just my medical aid is done through the company and they contribute a part of it so that's why I don't bother changing.

But I do think discovery is the worst scum medical aid provider there is, and vitality is (like their logo) a pyramid scheme.

adielk

Expert Member
I should actually do that, Fed Health gives free entry to some running and cycling events - and those are very good events, despite the fact that as a non-member I have to pay to partake. The thing is just my medical aid is done through the company and they contribute a part of it so that's why I don't bother changing.

But I do think discovery is the worst scum medical aid provider there is, and vitality is (like their logo) a pyramid scheme.
Ucount rewards you pay a R20 fee, ebucks assume as well?

Vitality monthly cost outweighed by my savings:

Free gym
50% back on fuel
Just used my fitness rewards for R250 Netflorist voucher (mere few weeks that I am bothering with vitality rewards points). I get rewarded for being active.
Ticket Jozi to CT return R1100. And if I had done/booked it earlier could have boosted flight to be free.

So worth it.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
My gym is free - and saves me 100% fuel on the way to work and back. What does Discovery give me for that? Nothing.

I don't fly, don't go to the movies, don't buy healthy foods. What can Discovery give me then? Nothing.

At least I am getting R2400 cash back from Vitality every year - by not paying for it.

Daruk

Honorary Master
My gym is free - and saves me 100% fuel on the way to work and back. What does Discovery give me for that? Nothing.

I don't fly, don't go to the movies, don't buy healthy foods. What can Discovery give me then? Nothing.

At least I am getting R2400 cash back from Vitality every year - by not paying for it.
2400? That's a nice free pair of shoes too.
Me too. My gym had been fully kitted out for years now and no monthly fees or long trips to use it.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Ucount rewards you pay a R20 fee, ebucks assume as well?

Vitality monthly cost outweighed by my savings:

Free gym
50% back on fuel
Just used my fitness rewards for R250 Netflorist voucher (mere few weeks that I am bothering with vitality rewards points). I get rewarded for being active.
Ticket Jozi to CT return R1100. And if I had done/booked it earlier could have boosted flight to be free.

So worth it.
50% back on fuel? You able to back that up?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
2400? That's a nice free pair of shoes too.
Me too. My gym had been fully kitted out for years now and no monthly fees or long trips to use it.
Yep, now that you mention it, I actually ran today, in my 2013 Asics Gel Nimbus. It was a half marathon and they have been with me on the previous 5 years of running. Might be time to get some new running shoes.

Discovery and Vitality makes no sense at all if you are a moderate to serious or above type athlete.

Thor

Honorary Master

Wow... I walk to work (it's down the road, Tygervalley Chambers and I live in Tygerfalls) it takes me 30 minutes

adielk

Expert Member
It's around R200pm for Vitality. You normally spend way more than that just to join a gym.

The cost is there probably for a selection effect. Only those who are willing to make some effort and get some rewards will pay. If Vitality was free then any Tom, Dick, Harry would be part of the book, even those who don't care about improving their health. So it wouldn't be as effective. Those who don't pay and don't care will go to other insurers/medical aids and make their books worse than Discovery's.
Great for us that some don't join.

I for one am loving it as a regular family flyer and gym user.

Only thing I need to focus on is the healthy food spend.

My 50% fuel back

Script

Nope, I am sure before the medical aid pays out, they check you bank balance to check if you need the money

ktmbikerman

Hold on, they're comparing you to "people like you". What exactly are "people like you" and how is that calculated? And "earned"? Really? That doesn't explain anything IRO how it's calculated. Without insulting you, I think that's marketing mumbo-jumbo.
The point of the post was to show you how they came to R52k, it had nothing to do with "people like you". I can click on the expand arrows to see the details of how it was calculated, but that's not for general consumption.

Daruk

Honorary Master
The point of the post was to show you how they came to R52k, it had nothing to do with "people like you". I can click on the expand arrows to see the details of how it was calculated, but that's not for general consumption.
OK